Is it a bullet? Pics with ruler

kaspur1313

It kinda looks like an old bullet and i have found several close to it but none exactly like it so im wondering if it even is a bullet...can anyone help? I'm a newb here and to metal detecting, so i appreciate any help!

Attachments

• 20170320_125835.jpg
    20170320_125835.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
Sure does look like one, and there are so many with similar looking designs.

Take a picture with a ruler next to it so members can get an accurate idea of it's size and maybe it can be a help in someone making a more specific identification.

EDITED TO ADD:

Just found an old thread called "identifying bullets and cartridge cases" on the forum that might be of help -

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=174509

It looks like some kind of cleaner bullet at the base.. the upper looks more like a modern muzzle loader bullet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Poss Bullet

It is about a centimeter tall the center ring is concave. angles in from each side, I'm not sure what it's made of, how do i find out? I did test it with a magnet and it only had a slight magnetic pull....other than that, im not sure how to test it. I found it with a kids detecter i bought for my grandson, so it dont tell u anything. Here is a few more angles...it does seem like an awful small bullet though. Found an actual size online ruler....so here is more photos,,,thanks for all the help! By the way i havent cleaned it, i was not sure if i should i just wiped some of the dirt off, its pretty clean thought except the creases

Attachments

• 20170322_104434.jpg
    20170322_104434.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 340
  • 20170322_104518.jpg
    20170322_104518.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 344
  • 20170322_105732-1.jpg
    20170322_105732-1.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 384
  • 20170322_105712-1-1.jpg
    20170322_105712-1-1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 362
To me, it looks like the "slide in the groove" part of a chain style door lock. You know the chain type security locks. The one's in my house, the chain wraps around the "bullet", maybe in that center groove. Then again, I could be wrong. :lol: The size is right.

Scuba

Interesting. if it has a slight magnetic pull it is not lead. I am stumped!

Does the flat end look broken off something?

Ok not sure what i did i may have had my ring on or something but i just rechecked with the magnet and there is no pull at all from it....feel like a dummy but glad i rechecked!

To me, it looks like the "slide in the groove" part of a chain style door lock. You know the chain type security locks. The one's in my house, the chain wraps around the "bullet", maybe in that center groove. Then again, I could be wrong. :lol: The size is right.

Good guess. But I wonder where the chain connected to it.

Hopefully someone will know

I appreciate all the help and comments, I have been thru several bullet identifier guides. This was my first hunt so im not that knowledgable but im researching and learning. I found it with a kids detector i bought for my grandkids, i have one ordered for myself and got them each one, so i thought i better figure out how to work it before they visit. I thought it would be some good quality time with them looking for "treasure" together, and getting them off the video games and electronics! Mine isnt even here yet and I'm hooked! LOL

It could be either a bullet or chain lock part, but my thought is if it is a chain lock part then why the extra grooves ?

Also, check the bottom to see how it looks just in case it looks something like this photo as the bottom needed to be fastened after the chain link was slipped on -

chainlock.jpg

It could be either a bullet or chain lock part, but my thought is if it is a chain lock part then why the extra grooves ?

Also, check the bottom to see how it looks just in case it looks something like this photo as the bottom needed to be fastened after the chain link was slipped on -

View attachment 380098

The bottom is flat no holes

The bottom is flat no holes

Okay, then my thinking is IF it was a chain lock part the link would seem to have had to been formed around that part and that seems unlikely to me.

Also the chain link would have had to been cut off or rusted off to be as it is now.

If that object is one solid piece then I would lean towards bullet as I would think the end piece would need to be connected after the chain was added if it was a chain lock part.

.....of course there is always the possibility it might be something different altogether, some obscure part of some old gadget.

.....of course there is always the possibility it might be something different altogether, some obscure part of some old gadget.

^ sort of my thoughts..

Not a bullet...

Looks like brass...

Maybe it could have slid back and forth in a slot on another piece...

And or it was a handle on a small door, or access hatch/opening, could have had plastic formed around the first groove and served as a little knob on something..

Just thinking out loud..

<°)))>{

^ sort of my thoughts..

Not a bullet...

Looks like brass...

Maybe it could have slid back and forth in a slot on another piece...

And or it was a handle on a small door, or access hatch/opening, could have had plastic formed around the first groove and served as a little knob on something..

Just thinking out loud..

<°)))>{
I agree, it doesn't look like a bullet to me either. what's the bottom look like?

Now THAT picture does make me reconsider the chain lock piece idea, but the only puzzling thing would be if it is a one piece object how they attached the chain link. Somehow I would think it would need to be two pieces that fit together after adding the chain link.

All chain links are formed and welded. Every link has an opening that was welded fast electronically without adding material to weld it shut. It would not be difficult to form a chain link to enclose the knob before welding the link shut.

Back
Top Bottom