Common Thread

aridice53

Hi All,

Someone (forgive me, I can't remember who) had posted about finding the common thread of the forum and MDers.
Well, I got a new knitting book today, and as I looked through it, it struck me (not the book, the thought!!)...I think its history.
My new book is called "Patterns for Guernseys, Jerseys, and Arans."
Even in my knitting I am drawn to the history involved. These patterns, sometimes called "fisherman knits" are historic. The "Gansey" is the sweater that fisherman wore that was knit in the little coastal fishing towns of the Brittish Isles. Originally, each village had its own particular pattern, and often a knitter would put an "intentional mistake" in the pattern for identification. When an unrecognizable body of a fisherman washed up on shore, they would immediately know which village he was from, and could be identified.
See, even knitting can be interesting!!! LOL

But, history seems to be the recurring thread in our posts, sure, we'd all love to find the treasure worth a gazillion dollars, but look how everyone reacts to the historic finds, and the things where an owner can be identified.
Yep, I think its the history, the connection to the past that you can hold in your hands.

But that's just MHO!

Char

You are right Char. For many of us, trying to dig up the history behind a find, or returning a long lost class ring to its owner, is as much fun as the find itself.

Yes, Rudy, it had never really occurred to me before how much history is involved in my knitting.
It dawned on me today, I actually collect historic knitting patterns. LOL

Has anyone else here found a history connection in their other hobbies??

Char

I agree - to hold a piece of history in one's hand brings all kinds of delight. Every time I dig an eagle button or bullet I stop and wonder.
And how about the tokens - they literally talk to us.
Coins in general, are sure fun to get but history makes it all worth while. Steve in so az

History of the object is what I like to read about. I collect old junk like snuff glasses, beer cans, a first aid kit from 1946 or anything that interest me.

I love history, especially my own personal history. One day, those items may be lost in the ground for someone to find, and then they'll wonder...
thinking.gif

I love history and archaeology as much as detecting, although they are really one and the same thing.
I spent many hours going around old castles when on holiday with my parents, imagining the people who lived there hundreds of years previous.
I remember when I found my flint arrow head, I couldn't help trying to picture the person making it, about 3,000 years ago.

If you are only in the hobby to make money, I think you miss out on a lot. Although of course I realize that for a lot of detectorists they only have the option of finding modern things.

History is incredibly important and I look for it in all my hobbies... Adds extra dimensions to the endeavor... and very rewarding as well. RickO

Back
Top Bottom