AT Max

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
Up at Garrett getting my z-lynk transmitter replaced and got to play with the new Max. Pretty cool and really sensitive. Backlight and volume control is a great addition, did notice the VDI numbers ring a little lower than other Garrett detectors. Nickel rings in at 51, quarter at 85 and so forth. Only played for a few minutes while waiting but it is significantly deeper, like 15-20% it seemed. Could only get the sensitivity up to 70% stable in their indoor test area, but was pretty easily hitting a quarter at 10-11 inches. Regardless, here's a few pics:

Just a sec while I wrestle with my phone...

Last edited:
See if this works...

gUi8S9k.jpg

nDH7vvB.jpg

ct2VJ7u.jpg

Last edited:
on my ATP with the stock coil, that is where they ring up. I noticed that they are higher on the 5X8.

BCD

On mine (only have the stock coil) nickels ring 53 and quarters ring 88. I'm sure there's some variation though, but I didn't figure that much on the same detector/same coil. The AT Max tested had the stock 8.5x11 coil, I bet it's still a beast with a 5x8 though! It was very sensitive for sure, and not super chatty once sensitivity was stable.

There could have been slight interference too affecting the numbers? I was inside their huge facility.

Up at Garrett getting my z-lynk transmitter replaced and got to play with the new Max. Pretty cool and really sensitive. Backlight and volume control is a great addition, did notice the VDI numbers ring a little lower than other Garrett detectors. Nickel rings in at 51, quarter at 85 and so forth. Only played for a few minutes while waiting but it is significantly deeper, like 15-20% it seemed. Could only get the sensitivity up to 70% stable in their indoor test area, but was pretty easily hitting a quarter at 10-11 inches. Regardless, here's a few pics:

I, and my son, both own an AT Pro. There's variation in both machines on the same target. Different swing angles will change it too, as will ground mineralization.

For example, on the same quarter, mine can ring up 87, and his 86 or even 85. I think it has something to do with the differences in FIRMWARE loaded on the equipment. Firmware tweaks change the operating behavior slightly (usually for improvements, but a slight tweak can change the VDI numbers by 1 or 2 points, too.). At my last servicing, my AT Pro got a firmware upgrade, it stabilized the VDI numbers, but also seemed to raise them by about a half-point on average. My son's equipment (bought used, but many years old) is definitely running much older firmware.

Mineralization in the ground can change how targets ring up by a SIGNIFICANT amount. In some of my parks, quarters consistently ring up 87-88 consistently. A park in an older part of town (I have NO idea what is different about the dirt), quarters will ring up at 84, consistently. The key here... is consistently. it's always a good idea to dig a couple dozen targets, regardless of the ID, when you show up to a new site, to ensure you're getting a read on how targets behave in the soil you're detecting over.

Bottom line, firmware differences can account for VDI differences. You might have an AT Pro that "matches" the VDI output of an AT Max, or you might have one that behaves slightly differently. Also, small hardware variations, can change how the signal is processed, too... as a software/firmware QA manager for 7 years (last job), this is very apparent to me.

Cheers!

Skippy

How come they have them there for you to see but those who pre ordered haven't got theirs yet ?:?::?::?::?::?::?:

How come they have them there for you to see but those who pre ordered haven't got theirs yet ?:?::?::?::?::?::?:

You can buy detectors straight from them for MSRP, I believe. Seen plenty of people doing it. I didn't ask if they were available yet, but they had a demo out. I imagine they all go to the dealers first, then ship out to customers who ordered from dealers.

Buying straight from Garrett may just be in person though, not sure. A sponsor would know for sure.

Last edited:
Food for thought I had a 2 carrots one the would clash with my deus and the other ran fine with it. I called garrett to see what was going on they said they had tolerances in the pinpointers and it allowed for slight frequency variations . I'm wondering if that's why the id maybe a little different on the detectors ?? One might run at 13.9 and the other at 13 .4 or something just a thought.
I, and my son, both own an AT Pro. There's variation in both machines on the same target. Different swing angles will change it too, as will ground mineralization.

For example, on the same quarter, mine can ring up 87, and his 86 or even 85. I think it has something to do with the differences in FIRMWARE loaded on the equipment. Firmware tweaks change the operating behavior slightly (usually for improvements, but a slight tweak can change the VDI numbers by 1 or 2 points, too.). At my last servicing, my AT Pro got a firmware upgrade, it stabilized the VDI numbers, but also seemed to raise them by about a half-point on average. My son's equipment (bought used, but many years old) is definitely running much older firmware.

Mineralization in the ground can change how targets ring up by a SIGNIFICANT amount. In some of my parks, quarters consistently ring up 87-88 consistently. A park in an older part of town (I have NO idea what is different about the dirt), quarters will ring up at 84, consistently. The key here... is consistently. it's always a good idea to dig a couple dozen targets, regardless of the ID, when you show up to a new site, to ensure you're getting a read on how targets behave in the soil you're detecting over.

Bottom line, firmware differences can account for VDI differences. You might have an AT Pro that "matches" the VDI output of an AT Max, or you might have one that behaves slightly differently. Also, small hardware variations, can change how the signal is processed, too... as a software/firmware QA manager for 7 years (last job), this is very apparent to me.

Cheers!

Skippy

Hey! I have that exact same cork floor in my dining room that matches that table top! I still have a half box of it around here even!:laughing: Oh, nice detector there Mr. N!

The extra time they took to tweak the machine as well as adding volume adjustment will be well worth the wait imo. Faster, deeper, wireless and waterproof, I believe will make for an outstanding detector. No one has a detector that is stock ready like that. Garrett is certainly filling a niche. Quest will probably be next followed by Nokta.

Food for thought I had a 2 carrots one the would clash with my deus and the other ran fine with it. I called garrett to see what was going on they said they had tolerances in the pinpointers and it allowed for slight frequency variations . I'm wondering if that's why the id maybe a little different on the detectors ?? One might run at 13.9 and the other at 13 .4 or something just a thought.

Absolutely. Variations in frequency, often may result in slight variation in actual behavior too. You might "get lucky" and get a pin pointer that detects objects an extra 1/4" away.

Bottom line is, though, that the equipment WORKS within variation. There's variation in all things. Some of it slight, some of it not so slight... the key, though is to ensure that all the variation happens inside the specification limits, hopefully by a wide margin.

So... regardless of whether or not your pin pointer interferes slightly with your equipment, when it's on and pin pointing, it'll still "work".

I had an original Garrett Pro Pointer (three of them, actually), and one of them would actually set off the bell tone on my ACE 350. if the coil was about 3 feet from it. It was weird. I simply started holding my hand behind my back, when swinging and holding the pinpointer while it was on.

It happens! Was still very happy with the pin pointer though.

Back
Top Bottom