old rifle cartridge abuse??

DaveandBlitz

I have found at least four very old rifle cartridge cases that have had another one pounded into them. Nothing inside. I've heard the old timers during indian hostilities would do this to prevent indians from being able to reload the shells. Has anybody else found these as well? Or know another explanation for this practice? :?:

I have two here intact, one is marked W.R.A.Co 45-60 W.C.F. with a W.R.A. Co. 44 W.C.F pounded in. The other is the same width and base but about a 1/4 inch longer than the 45-60 and looks like another .44 inside. It is very green patina and no marks visible on either base.

I've found cases of similar size crammed together at the shooting range purely by accident. Not saying that's what happened with yours, but if it's at a spot where a lot of shooting was happening, it's possible.

Both of these came from old log cabin sites, and both from gold rush districts active in the mid 1800's. Idaho and Oregon. I hoped they were gold vials also but after cutting a couple open I don't think that's the purpose. I still shake and heft them in my hand when I find them just in case!

Attachments

• SAM_3864.jpg
    SAM_3864.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 374
  • SAM_3865.jpg
    SAM_3865.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 384
I've found them too here in California.
At first I also thought GOLD
They could have been used that way, but I've never heard of any found with gold in them.
A fellow hunter I know found one with wooden matches in it.
So from then on I've always felt they were match safes.
I still hold out hope for GOLD though.

One of the ones I cut open, I found around Happy Camp. It had river silt in it that I in hind sight I realize it seeped in through a small crack caused by the other cartridge being pounded into it. It just felt heavier than it should, that's why I chose that one to cut open.

We don't cut relics in half, that's "wrong". If you want to know what is inside, take it to someone with an X-ray machine like a dentist or veterinarian, and have it X-rayed.

We don't cut relics in half, that's "wrong". If you want to know what is inside, take it to someone with an X-ray machine like a dentist or veterinarian, and have it X-rayed.

here here.
You could also ship them to me for closer examination:lol:

Very cool, thanks for sharing. I had never heard of anything like this before.

I figure someone back then was just messing around putting them together as such. I've done that myself with different cartridge cases. If they didn't want them injins to reload them, it wound be better to just smash them flat or beat the !!!! out of the case rim, or, better yet just put them in your pocket so you can reload!

I've found them too here in California.
At first I also thought GOLD
They could have been used that way, but I've never heard of any found with gold in them.
A fellow hunter I know found one with wooden matches in it.
So from then on I've always felt they were match safes.
I still hold out hope for GOLD though.

I was thinking match holder too.

We used to use 2 12gauge cases to hold our strike anywhere matches while hunting, fishing or camping.

Back
Top Bottom