• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Brushing up for deer season with my crossbow

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Here's a target I shot at a lasered 80 yards. Little to no wind blowing.
2445yq0.jpg

Shot with Ravin R20 crossbow.

Sweet shooting.....:yes: (I haven't jumped over to the cross bows yet. Still shooting my Matthew's Solo Cam.....)

Good shooting, but if I were you I wouldn't shoot at the same bullseye twice. I stopped doing that years ago because it got too expensive.

Good shooting, but if I were you I wouldn't shoot at the same bullseye twice. I stopped doing that years ago because it got too expensive.

It has to be80 yards or more before I will (occasionally) shoot at the same place with this Ravin R20. Like you said it can be expensive. Those bolts are not custom btw. But are supposed to be .001 tolerance. Two of the bolts fired in pic have been shot around 125 shots each. So the spine seems to still be holding in them pretty good. The R20 does put some pressure on a bolt.

Using a double served string I did last week.
Interesting setup the Ravins with how the string sets up at draw. And what happens when fired.

Maaaaan! Thats good shooting no matter what a guy was using! I cant get a group like that anymore with a target rifle, bench and scope! Looking forward to your Deer season pics and report! You using 3 bladed heads this year? What brand is flying the best for you?

Maaaaan! Thats good shooting no matter what a guy was using! I cant get a group like that anymore with a target rifle, bench and scope! Looking forward to your Deer season pics and report! You using 3 bladed heads this year? What brand is flying the best for you?

I plan on using a 2 blade Rage hypodermic.
I used them a bit last year and like them using a Ravin R9 bow.

I gave away the last RAGE heads I had. Pretty much junk in my book.

Anymore, I run with either Swhacker's, or my favorite...Gator XP's.
The Gator XP heads are cut on entry, and have no bands, clips, springs, or other retaining hardware that can fail. And they cut HUGE holes.
PrL2hoL.jpg

Hunted with a compound for a number of years. Loved the thrill of taking a deer with it. But old age caught up with me and even at reduced draw weight I could not draw the bow without my shoulders screaming at me. Tried the drawloc but it was terribly noisy.

I had a custom made take down recurve that I loved to shoot but from day to day I was not sure how well I would shoot so I never hunted with it.

I now just take a couple doe with the rifle and enjoy the feast.

Here's 3 shots at a lasered 90 yards in a slight headwind.
Ravin R20 sniper with Jackplate and vortex strike eagle scope.

Reserved string. Put string on, shot at 40 yards to verify zero and then rolled distance wheel and fired at 90 yards.

The bolts are the .001 Ravin supplied bolts.
That's a 3" orange target dot btw.
ndltuq.jpg

Excellent shooting man, and thanks for saying how big the orange dot was, it bugs me when people do not state that...

nice shooting. I also only use a compound, with fixed blade broadheads.

Here's 4 shots at a lasered 100 yards using Ravin sniper R20 crossbow.
These shots fired right out the gate.
No warmups.
Using supplied Ravin .001 bolts.
Slight headwind.
That's a 3" target dot in pic.
Jackplate on bow dialed to 100 yards.

kd1ff6.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s 5 shots at 100 yards lasered using Ravin R20.
Slight breeze moving around a little direction wise.
The big dot is a 3” target dot.
What I was aiming at.
Right at a 3”group.

23qgdh.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you're ready to sharpen your skills further by stalking woodchucks in fresh cut hay fields.
Seriously! It will make everyone a better hunter, 'cause it's not easy.

Looks like you're ready to sharpen your skills further by stalking woodchucks in fresh cut hay fields.
Seriously! It will make everyone a better hunter, 'cause it's not easy.

No need to stalk woodchucks when I can just shoot them out of my front door or off my front porch.

Will try to take a few pics of them tomorrow.

Actually in my area they are IMO sort of endangered species due to coyotes.
I refuse to shoot them anymore.
When I was younger I did.
Times have changed.

So they are my pets now.
Along with rabbits and squirrels.
I have my own little zoo sort of.

Back
Top Bottom