New detector could use some advice

Fool

Well this is my first year detecting so I'm definitely learning every time I go out. But still haven't found anything worth showing. Using an eq600 in a trash infested old home site, I just get so many signals I don't know what to dig!!! The only 31 I got was a random top to a jar I believe. I get tons of things hitting 14-19...so much chatter I can't believe all the junk here. I guess I should try a park until I get better???

0326181428.jpg

Fool if it's ok to call you a fool lol

I like you started at my own house and dug about 50 lbs of Iron.

before I ventured out to a Park..

I HIGHLY recommend you go out to one or two in your area and do some hunting.. after all now you know what NOT to dig a little better and don't get discouraged the more experience with the different sounds and stuff the more stuff you are going to find !!

no fooling :laughing:

Fool if it's ok to call you a fool lol

I like you started at my own house and dug about 50 lbs of Iron.

before I ventured out to a Park..

I HIGHLY recommend you go out to one or two in your area and do some hunting.. after all now you know what NOT to dig a little better and don't get discouraged the more experience with the different sounds and stuff the more stuff you are going to find !!

no fooling :laughing:

Thanks ill give it a try it can't get worse

I dug a couple 30 plus and no quarters...

Fool, a trash infested old home site is not a good place for a new guy to practice...let alone with a detector as sensitive as the EQ600.

Get out of there and let that place rest for later, if not it’ll only frustrate you and drive you crazy!

Read the manual, read it again, then try the Minelab recommended settings for new users on the EQ (or park program 1, use auto GB with tracking, then back sensitivity down to about 15 or 16) and find an empty totlot or playground with woodchips. Easy digging and a good chance for you to grab some easy targets and get used to the detector and what it is saying to you. Then you can begin on more challenging sites and increasing sensitivity once you start to “get it”. JMO...

Well this is my first year detecting so I'm definitely learning every time I go out. But still haven't found anything worth showing. Using an eq600 in a trash infested old home site, I just get so many signals I don't know what to dig!!! The only 31 I got was a random top to a jar I believe. I get tons of things hitting 14-19...so much chatter I can't believe all the junk here. I guess I should try a park until I get better???

0326181428.jpg

yeah, I suggest you go to some popular places that have a better chance of goodies. Go to soccer fields, parks, or beaches (if possible). remember that modern jewelry and coins contain a blend of metals / alloys. These blends, especially with aluminum, mimmick gold. At least at the beach or playground, there is a chance that those gold numbers will really be gold, silver, etc... and not just junk.

Another thing I encourage you to do is to plant test targets. 10k, 14k, 18k, .925, SSTL, tungsten, modern clad, silver clad, and foreign clag. Write down the numbers that each show on the Vdi. Then you'll have a better idea.

Fool, a trash infested old home site is not a good place for a new guy to practice...let alone with a detector as sensitive as the EQ600.

Get out of there and let that place rest for later, if not it’ll only frustrate you and drive you crazy!

Read the manual, read it again, then try the Minelab recommended settings for new users on the EQ (or park program 1, use auto GB with tracking, then back sensitivity down to about 15 or 16) and find an empty totlot or playground with woodchips. Easy digging and a good chance for you to grab some easy targets and get used to the detector and what it is saying to you. Then you can begin on more challenging sites and increasing sensitivity once you start to “get it”. JMO...
yea it is very frustrating, i just have easy access to this place and i know it holds good stuff!!!
I found my 1st 3 coins last night near a big maple tree!!! 1971, 1965 penny and a 1963 canadian penny.
Later this week ill hit a park or playground i guess :)

yeah, I suggest you go to some popular places that have a better chance of goodies. Go to soccer fields, parks, or beaches (if possible). remember that modern jewelry and coins contain a blend of metals / alloys. These blends, especially with aluminum, mimmick gold. At least at the beach or playground, there is a chance that those gold numbers will really be gold, silver, etc... and not just junk.

Another thing I encourage you to do is to plant test targets. 10k, 14k, 18k, .925, SSTL, tungsten, modern clad, silver clad, and foreign clag. Write down the numbers that each show on the Vdi. Then you'll have a better idea.

thanks ill def try burying my own stuff, i really hate wasting time and not being productive...Not sure i have lots of real gold but i do have lots of old coins
THe 3 pennies i found all rang up about 24-- i thought that meant quarter :/

disc out everything except 12,13, 23-38. Iron bias 1, recovery 3, park/field 2, sens 20, and whatever tone preference. dig anything that beeps and enjoy yourself.

If you're mostly looking for coins, you can start by limiting your digging to small high conductors. Like detectingMO said, just set up your detector to accept 23 on up. You can use disc, or just assign a much lower tone to 22 and lower. Check the size of your target by lifting your coil to weed out the large junk. Bump up iron bias a little if you're digging a lot of iron. Maybe pick a small square and work it slowly, picking out all high tones. Once you start to get the hang of it, add in 12-13 for nickels. Then add in the IHP range (18-19).

Or you could just go to a cleaner spot.

disc out everything except 12,13, 23-38. Iron bias 1, recovery 3, park/field 2, sens 20, and whatever tone preference. dig anything that beeps and enjoy yourself.

Not sure how i disc out everything besides 12-13 and 23-38. You mean ignore it? Prolly a dumb question

Hello,
if you haven't, you really need to down load the user manual and go through all the setting before heading out.
This will save you a lot of grief and increase you desired finds.
There is a really good video on youtube by dirtfishing titled "MInelab Equinox 800 - Setting up for coin hunting ".
This will show you how to set up your disc patterns, bin settings and tone setting within each bin. Very useful info if you don't know how.
HH!

Not sure how i disc out everything besides 12-13 and 23-38. You mean ignore it? Prolly a dumb question

See page 49 of user's manual.

Disc out means to reject.

When you do what is suggested above, objects odds wise the junk will not give tone. Like pull tabs, rings, foil, most aluminum twist caps. Some steel bottle caps.

Nickels will come through tonally, some tabs will.
Copper pennies , die s quarter half Dollars and aluminum can will give tone.

Good way to start and make better sense of the detector. With more experience you will be able to open the disc up (accept more things) and have a better overall understanding.
Also don't sweep too fast.

I've found most of my decent finds in places where I least expected. Also been to really old, never detected before properties, and got nothing. Saying one spot is better than another or a site is hunted out is not accurate. I think luck has a lot to do with detecting.

Lots of signals

Hi,
I totally understand your frustration. The program mentioned by a member here on your post for setting up a NOX 800 for coin hunting is excellent. Only one problem, it's a set-up for the 800. The 600 doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the 800 does. Yes, you can do part on this program but not all.
I am using my 600 now for a bit more than a week and I am learning but I will buy the 800 ( on order ) and sell the 600 when I get the 800 because the program mentioned is exactly the way I want to set up my Nox with 5 segments and 5 tones until I know the machine better. Right now I am running Park 2 and not digging anything less than a 20 unless it's a good steady strong signal. Hang in there and I promise you will find coins and other things. Hit some kiddy parks and places where people go and spend money. Carnival grounds, sports stadiums, high school football stadiums , flea market grounds ( trashy ). You won't find a lot of silvers but should find clads and I will dig clad quarters all day long. Hope some of this might help you. Rome wasn't built in a day !!!
Bubbaron NOX 600, AT Pro, AT Carrot Pin Pointer

Hi,
I totally understand your frustration. The program mentioned by a member here on your post for setting up a NOX 800 for coin hunting is excellent. Only one problem, it's a set-up for the 800. The 600 doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the 800 does. Yes, you can do part on this program but not all.
I am using my 600 now for a bit more than a week and I am learning but I will buy the 800 ( on order ) and sell the 600 when I get the 800 because the program mentioned is exactly the way I want to set up my Nox with 5 segments and 5 tones until I know the machine better. Right now I am running Park 2 and not digging anything less than a 20 unless it's a good steady strong signal. Hang in there and I promise you will find coins and other things. Hit some kiddy parks and places where people go and spend money. Carnival grounds, sports stadiums, high school football stadiums , flea market grounds ( trashy ). You won't find a lot of silvers but should find clads and I will dig clad quarters all day long. Hope some of this might help you. Rome wasn't built in a day !!!
Bubbaron NOX 600, AT Pro, AT Carrot Pin Pointer

Thanks i will def try this advice and i know the finds will come. I am new to this but i do have patience, but i also want to be efficient!

0326181428.jpg

Was in the same situation as you when I started out my wife and I owned a house in Ohio that was built in 1889 so vary old we purchased to detectors the AT PRO and the X TERRA 705 I spent almost two years just clearing the shallow targets 6 inches and less from the three quarters of an acre of land the house sat on after clearing it of the shallower targets I went over it again and started digging the deeper targets spent four years just detecting that property.

I learned to detect entirely in old cellar holes. It's very rough going, but nothing else will teach you detecting like that. With any new machine, especially if your just starting detecting, You need to dig all repeatable signals for atleast 1000 targets. When I say repeatable I mean the ones that read similar from perpendicluar swings. Also lifting the coil up over a target can give clues that it may be large iron(but you should dig the large iron add it may be masking the signal. Once you know what the detector is telling you, you can then move onto digging targets that are different from the repeatable ones. The knowledge by digging everything will clue you in on these "different" targets. They may sound like the good targets but are really faint with no vdi, they may only read good in one direction because there's trash/iron close to it, and so on. Also start at the edges of the property and work towards the iron, that way your slowly acclimating yourself to the amount of trash you will hear when you start working closer to the cellar. God luck and don't give up, cellar holes pop up some of the most interesting stuff.

Back
Top Bottom