Montana 12 silver day, plus Silver Spill!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
My local detecting friend and I motored north to the big city today. We started earlier in the morning to beat the forecast 92 degree high temp for the day. We ended up detecting for about 7 hours, and due to the wonderful amount of targets we only did a couple of parking strips, and 4 front yard permissions.

The parking strips on both sides of the street began yielding Wheat Pennies right away, so we had hopes that this particular block had not been heavily detected before. My partner found a well worn Silver King George V Canadian dime in the first front yard, and a Silver Rosie dime in the nearby curb strip, and I found a couple of Sterling Silver rings. The second permission scored each of us a Silver Rosie, and lots of Wheat Pennies, and we ended up with a total of 51 Wheaties today!

As we each worked up our respective curb strips, I hit an area in front of a ca 1920 house that was loaded with coins. A bunch of wheaties, two Mexican coins, a 1 Centavo and a 5 Centavos, a Silver Mercury dime, and a great Silver Spill with 2 Silver Rosies and a Silver War nickel. When that nickel popped out, I could see the impression of a dime sized coin on the reverse, so I checked the hole and got the two additional Rosie dimes. My friend across the street wasn't doing too badly either, with a Silver Merc dime, a Silver War nickel, and another Silver Rosie!

Another front yard yielded a large half dollar size coin, marked "Madame Hendren / Talking and Walking Doll" with good luck Swastika, Four Leaf Clover, Horseshoe, and Wishbone images on the back side. Research shows this doll was first sold in 1922, and no doubt the Swastika Good Luck symbol went out of favor by WW2.

The oddest find of the day was located my my friend. He found 6 of what looks like 3 ringer bullets, that apparently had been fired into the ground about 5-6 inches apart in the curb strip. The slugs have mushroomed out but you can still see the rings on the end of the slugs. A couple of the slugs were really mangled, but he brought home four, as shown in the photo. Any info appreciated, and are they really old three ringers or something newer?

Anyway, a good day for sure with 10 silver coins and 2 silver rings between us, and thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 519
  • coins3.jpg
    coins3.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 489
  • coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 503
  • coins4.jpg
    coins4.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 519
  • coins5.jpg
    coins5.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:
That is an absolutely amazing haul! Bravo for sticking with it in such high heat. Foreign coins AND 51 Wheats is mind blowing! 51!?!? Outstanding work - thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comments! And yes, that was an amazing number of Wheaties, they just kept coming out, thankfully with some silver too!

Just checked the dates on my 28 wheats, I did get a 1909 first year. Sadly no "S" mint mark or VDB!

Last edited:
Good luck swastika;

What a great day. I have never seen anything like that. The swastika on the good luck coin is backwards from the WWII swastika. I think the Indians even used something like that for good luck or something.

That’s an amazing trip, congrats

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas special edition.
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring
Total clad 2018 - 45$

Only thing wrong with that hunt is you didn't pack me along. Congrats Shiny to both you and your partner on some very fine hunting and some great success. Lots of variety in those digs. Trapper

Appreciate the kind words! Heck, come on down Trapper, would be honored to take you on a few Western Montana digs! Though from reading about all your shiny finds I can see you are doing really well in the Thawed Tundra of Wisconsin!

That's one heck of a good days hunt! I've gotta see if one of my little ones will come with me someday to go get some old permissions in town. Alone I look somewhat like a criminal with my tattoos and such [emoji6] but with my little girls it softens me up a bit. Congrats again on a great day!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hah! Yep Tundra, I bring my wife with me on occasion, and with her good looks and great personality it does make permissions easier to get!

Also, I got this "old duffer" hat as a gift from my Father in Law. Makes me look like a harmless old man who couldn't and wouldn't hurt a fly! I've even overheard comments when asking to detect, that "He looks harmless enough!"

Back
Top Bottom