Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 07-12-2018, 03:37 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
We are not so much going out to find gold rings, as we are out to find GOLD....
Agreed!

Clad keeps a guy alive, profitable and very sharp to the everchanging travel patterns of Humans. Hunting rings in and of themselves is a time/profit wasting effort, seeings how most are junk now a days, but the location you find them in does tell a story, that should be noticed and processed...
I agree that clad keeps us profitable. As I noted, I don't pass up coins. BUT... I make approximately 3x to 4x in ring sales every year, compared to the clad I find. Last year, I pulled over $1000 in clad, and over $3000 in ring sales (mostly gold, but I do sell quite a few silver and tungsten ones at $5-$10 a pop). If I focused solely on clad, I'll bet I could have made another $200-$300 in coins... but..> I would have traded that $300 for $3000 in gold. And before someone jumps in with, "Yeah, but that was ONE year!"... I've done that three years running. 3x-4x every year. This year I'm right at 2.8x, but suspect some more gold is just around the corner.

I've heard that gold is illusive, but frankly, EVERY place I've taken my metal detector to on a business trip, has resulted in some gold, when i can put more than 10-20 hours in. I have a hard time believing that if people are out looking for it, that they're not going to find it, unless they simply aren't willing to put in the work digging those signals. And YES... it's location location location...

But as a case-in-point, I have seen posts by you, where you've hit football fields that obviously were loaded with quarters, and you'll pull out $20-$40 in quarters in a day's session. Personally, if I was hitting a field like that, the last thing I'd be skipping is the ring signals, because I'd be CONVINCED there were gold rings waiting to be found under that clad. Yeah, you pulled out $40 in coins... But what'd you miss? that's the part that kills me. How many class rings, women's gold rings, or coach's gold rings did you miss out on? Maybe none... Maybe 4. never know until you've dug it. But the odds are nearly 100% that you miss them if you're only digging quarters.

I see that a lot, where people cherry pick quarters all day long... all the while passing up opportunities to pull out the really valuable items. They convince themselves their strategy is producing great levels of returns! and here's the rub... IT IS. It absolutely is a great return. $20 an hour detecting is freaking awesome! But $200-$400 in the same time, along with $15 in quarters is way beyond awesome. I regularly trade that few dollars an hour (if that, since I'm really only digging about 20 extra trash targets or so, at a loss of just a few minutes total time) for the chance to hit it big... and it pays off at least monthly.

Bottom line still stands... If you're out hunting rings, you'll find them. Sure 79% of them are junkers. But 8% gold and 13% Silver are more than enough to add up to a whole lot more fun that stacking quarters.

Second bottom line... Frankly, none of us are in this to actually get rich and retire... and if YOU (the reader) are reading through this saying, "But I LIKE to dig just coins." That's AWESOME. It's about the fun, the enjoyment, and the experience of getting out. That's the #1 point of why we all do this. If you don't like to dig the trash to hit the gold, and love how you're doing it... I strongly recommend you do what you love! That's what its all about.

I love rings. I love gold. Change goes into a Cool-Whip container and dumped into Coinstar about every 5 weeks. I don't even count it, until then. And I make enough that I have upgraded my system 3 times with 3 coils, and have all the accessories I want... plus gobs of extras just for fun. CLAD PAYS.

Cheers!

Ring total as of 2/20/2018 = 29

Old 07-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Supporter

Its probably best to just stick to busting totter finds...a committed to success guy can pull good pay simply running a steady totter route and kicking chips for clad..no doubt will eventually find gold, silver, junk rings, paper money, jackets, food, dope pipes and skateboards...all sorts of stuff, knives, guns, old silver dollar coins that little Jimmy stole from old G'pas coin collection!...All sorts of stuff in the totters! Introductory rig and a cotton nail apron and off you go!...

With an elcheapo introductory rig, a guy could merely hit the totters! No kneepads, no pinpointer, no shovel even, just a swipe of the foot to reveal the target, work a steady route, modify accordingly as the seasons evolve and the herds change, no need to get all scientific and over think this...a guy would do better at the end of the year than most...

This is a great Sport! Biggest factor to success is to simply get out of the house and hunt!...'You gonna talk or you gonna fish?'
Amen to that. and bless the detectorist who comes across a tot-lot that is filled to the brim.

Ring total as of 2/20/2018 = 29

Old 07-12-2018, 04:12 PM
Elite Member

I had mentioned "mud-wrestling pits". But as you can well imagine: This is a very niche and rare location. Not much "mud-wrestling" going on anywhere.

But the reason I brought it up, was that one time, I got called out to look for someone's lost gold ring. They had lost it during a segment of one of those "iron-man" events , where the crowd's last stop was at a giant mud fest. Where everyone gets into bathing trunks, and sloshes around and throws mud at each other (and guys sit around and oogle at the girls involved, I suppose).

The pit was created by making borders (with planks or whatever), then filling it with dirt and water, .... about the size of a basketball court. Then 100+ people go in for so-called mud wrestling.

By the time I got there to do the posse commissioned hunt for the guy, it was a few weeks later. The pit had been disassembled, and all the mud left to dry out. The caretaker of the property, upon seeing me detecting, came over to ask what I was doing. I explained that I was looking for a guy's ring.

But what followed next opened my eyes to how conducive this is to loss-of-rings: The caretaker guy (property of an adjacent restaurant tourist stop) said that this event was an annual event that had now gone on for several years. And he said that EVERY SINGLE YEAR, he sees people out there, combing the mud with their fingers following the event, looking for lost car keys, necklaces, rings, etc.... And that I wasn't the first md'r he'd seen out there.

It ended up that I didn't find the ring. But I found several personal clothing effects which showed the concept to be true: Things like zippers, buttons, misc. other jewelry (albeit not gold , nor the ring I was looking for), etc....

Trouble is, mud-wrestling isn't a wide-spread hobby, doh ! So swim beaches, where people are splashing their hands in the ebbing surf, and thrusting their hands into the wet-sand, is a close second

Old 07-12-2018, 05:09 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
I had mentioned "mud-wrestling pits". But as you can well imagine: This is a very niche and rare location. Not much "mud-wrestling" going on anywhere.

But the reason I brought it up, was that one time, I got called out to look for someone's lost gold ring. They had lost it during a segment of one of those "iron-man" events , where the crowd's last stop was at a giant mud fest. Where everyone gets into bathing trunks, and sloshes around and throws mud at each other (and guys sit around and oogle at the girls involved, I suppose).

The pit was created by making borders (with planks or whatever), then filling it with dirt and water, .... about the size of a basketball court. Then 100+ people go in for so-called mud wrestling.

By the time I got there to do the posse commissioned hunt for the guy, it was a few weeks later. The pit had been disassembled, and all the mud left to dry out. The caretaker of the property, upon seeing me detecting, came over to ask what I was doing. I explained that I was looking for a guy's ring.

But what followed next opened my eyes to how conducive this is to loss-of-rings: The caretaker guy (property of an adjacent restaurant tourist stop) said that this event was an annual event that had now gone on for several years. And he said that EVERY SINGLE YEAR, he sees people out there, combing the mud with their fingers following the event, looking for lost car keys, necklaces, rings, etc.... And that I wasn't the first md'r he'd seen out there.

It ended up that I didn't find the ring. But I found several personal clothing effects which showed the concept to be true: Things like zippers, buttons, misc. other jewelry (albeit not gold , nor the ring I was looking for), etc....

Trouble is, mud-wrestling isn't a wide-spread hobby, doh ! So swim beaches, where people are splashing their hands in the ebbing surf, and thrusting their hands into the wet-sand, is a close second
Thanks for the explanation.. I have been wondering for quite sometime where you were coming from as I had seen you touch on this type of location in previous posts.. HOWEVER.. I DO remember Mud Wrestling back in the 80's in So Cal.. was a fairly big thing.