AT Pro mounted on new Mars shaft

choppadude

Forum Supporter
I recently purchased a Mars Shaft for my Sorex Pro detector. For those of you who are not familiar with the Mars shaft, it is a pretty well done copy of the Deus style shaft the folds into a small compact package. many like this style when traveling as it can be stored in a carry on bag.
I liked the shaft so much I decided that I was going buy another along with a AT Pro and do the conversion.
I purchased a brand new AT Pro from Jeff at Quality Detectors and got it fast. I ordered the Mars shaft from Serious Detecting eBay store For $120.

Now a lot of guys probably wont like the fact that I took a brand new unit right out of the box and hacked it up BUT the final product is worth it in my book.
I needed to cut the 2 mounting post on the underside of the AT Pro, (you know, those post that snap off and leave your control box hanging by the cord) You will need to follow the measurements given when making these cuts. I opted to cut mine just a tad shorter to get the mount closer to the control box. I had to also trim the small support webs along the side of the mounting post.
Now this is the important part, MEASRE THE SCREWS YOU USE TO ASSURE THEY ARE NOT TOO LONG AND PUNCTURE INTO THE CONTROL BOX HOUSING!

Now that the mount is attached to the AT Pro control box it is only a matter of sliding it onto the shaft assembly. It has a "Dovetail style rail that it mounts on.

Now I got thinking about the original shaft assembly, it would be nice to be able to unsnap my control box from the Mars shaft with one coil and transfer it to the original shaft set up with another coil, so I got to work.
I fashioned a tapered "Wedge" like was on the Mars shaft out of a piece of 1/8inch aluminum I had using a jig saw, file and a drill press. I fashioned the male dovetail with a file to match the female receptacle. I then drilled the upper shaft to mount the wedge. I had to do some measuring so that the control box final mounted would be in the original position and all controls could be easily reached with the users thumb.
I must say it turned out nicely and is a good solid mount. I can now switch the complete control box over from one coil/shaft combo to another in under one minute and that includes attaching the coil cable!

Test fitting the mount the attaches to control box

Front view mounted

I really like the final results. The Mars shaft is well made and even a bit sturdier than tits Deus counterpart. It also comes with a ton of different washers as well as the rubber cushions that tension the rod locks. (Take note Deus!)

He said tits!!!! heh-heh-heh:lol::laughing:

The Mars shaft is well made and even a bit sturdier than tits Deus counterpart.

Very nice Choppa, I would love to do the same thing with an Etrac or Explorer.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

How's the mars compared to the straight shaft you had? And i was looking at that mars shaft last year,the only complaint I ever read was some dude said it wasn't long enough for him to use,but he might have been a giant for all I know...good job on the fabrication.

How's the mars compared to the straight shaft you had? And i was looking at that mars shaft last year,the only complaint I ever read was some dude said it wasn't long enough for him to use,but he might have been a giant for all I know...good job on the fabrication.

Well I am 5'5" and it is plenty long with more length to go on the bottom shaft. I think I have my bottom shaft set on 3. I think it is very comfortable and much sturdier than the original. It would be a very good set up for water hunting.

Nice work Choppa! Very cool idea, is there much of a weight difference with the mars? I am wondering if this would lighten my wife's pro a bit.

Choppa! What a well thought out and superb fab! Great pics and explanation of the process as well as the finished product! ...You Sir, have some talent. Hats Off!
Mud

Very cool mod dude. That shaft rocks. Now I'd like to see how you go about attaching a T2 to it. Lol. That would be freaking awesome. Thanks for the post.

Hey Choppadude, wanted to pull this back up to find out if you've been using the ATP with the MARS and how you like it. Difference between the original shaft and the MARS? Just your thoughts. Thanks!

Hey Choppadude, wanted to pull this back up to find out if you've been using the ATP with the MARS and how you like it. Difference between the original shaft and the MARS? Just your thoughts. Thanks!

Was just out with the AT Pro yesterday. A little heavier than stock but has a more sturdy feel to it. I can also pack the detector as well as spare coil in a small gym bag or back pack.
I will be getting in the water with it this summer and I will report back on how well it does in that environment.

Back
Top Bottom