Asking Property Owners???

MixCM

Hey!

So, what's a good approach to ask property owners if I can MD their property? I don't really wanna have to share what I find. Is that something offered to get them to give permission?

Any suggestions to this newbie, is greatly appreciated..and a big Thank you in advance!

Kindest Regards,
Mick~

Hey!

So, what's a good approach to ask property owners if I can MD their property? I don't really wanna have to share what I find. Is that something offered to get them to give permission?

Any suggestions to this newbie, is greatly appreciated..and a big Thank you in advance!

Kindest Regards,
Mick~

If you don't want to share then don't ask, tell them all you found is junk don't clean anything off especially coins. Don't tell them something is valuable they could sue you

Just found this site...it's got some great tips for newbies, like me!

http://detecting365.com/asking-permission-detect/

Lol, that's NectarDetectors magazine article. He's a sponsor here, good stuff.

Think like a salesman and how they pitch lines, never say anything that could be taken negatively or make them ponder if good stuff is there. Don't say things like "dig" or "treasure", instead say positive things like "recover" and offer your "services" like it's a favor. Ask them if they specifically lost anything and approx where to see if you can recover it for them (definitely do this or else they could say that gold ring you just found inscribed 1682 was their mothers...) so no issues arise.

If you know of history on that site, share it with them and they may be able to add to it. Throw in "limited time offer" ...nah don't do that, that was a joke. :laughing:

First of all go to Staples and get some business cards printed. You can get 500 custom printed for $10. Include your name and contact info and a short presentation of what you do. Hey? This makes you appear creditable and professional. Trust me, this can open doors.

I won't go into all the obvious: shake hands, eye contact, etc. what works for me is to ask permission as a favor to you. Promise that not only will you leave the property cleaner than you found it but you will respect their property and leave no trace.

I never offer anything by way of finds but if asked I will offer to split "all the gold and jewels" and I say it as a joke but am prepared to do so if pressed. Instead I offer to outfit them with equipment and let them try it. The inference is they keep what they find and I keep what I find. Most people are kind and generous if you can convince them to trust you. Good luck m

Attachments

• IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 701
Think like a salesman and how they pitch lines, never say anything that could be taken negatively or make them ponder if good stuff is there. Don't say things like "dig" or "treasure", instead say positive things like "recover" and offer your "services" like it's a favor. Ask them if they specifically lost anything and approx where to see if you can recover it for them (definitely do this or else they could say that gold ring you just found inscribed 1682 was their mothers...) so no issues arise.

If you know of history on that site, share it with them and they may be able to add to it. Throw in "limited time offer" ...nah don't do that, that was a joke. :laughing:

Thanks for the good info!

First of all go to Staples and get some business cards printed. You can get 500 custom printed for $10. Include your name and contact info and a short presentation of what you do. Hey? This makes you appear creditable and professional. Trust me, this can open doors.

I won't go into all the obvious: shake hands, eye contact, etc. what works for me is to ask permission as a favor to you. Promise that not only will you leave the property cleaner than you found it but you will respect their property and leave no trace.

I never offer anything by way of finds but if asked I will offer to split "all the gold and jewels" and I say it as a joke but am prepared to do so if pressed. Instead I offer to outfit them with equipment and let them try it. The inference is they keep what they find and I keep what I find. Most people are kind and generous if you can convince them to trust you. Good luck m

Great tips! Thanks so much!

You got the basic "Do's and Dont's" from NectarDee there, so now its just a matter of employing those with a bit of practice...It will be good experience for you! You will develop your own style and patter. No big deal at all...

Just know, some people will NEVER say Yes, and some People will NEVER say No...then theres the 'ones in the middle' where you have to work with your patter..Forum Member Beephead brings gifts, and is a Master of parlaying one permission into the next!...His posts on this are simply amazing...

Lets say you came to my house and knocked on my door...Depending on my initial size up or you and your patter, If it was positive and friendly, and you were not throwing off a creepy vibe, I'd give you a 'Yes' with conditions....

You would first have to help me move one of my Wifes big rock yard sculptures! FWIW, I have not detected my own yard at all! I'd throw out some Merc dimes for you even!:laughing:
Mud

Attachments

• rocks.jpg
    rocks.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 581
When you ask for a permission you want to be short and right to the point. I make it a habit to say that I am enthralled with the history of this town. I mention I do this through my hobby of detecting. Usually you will get a yes or no at this point. Others have questions. never say the word dig, instead say cut a plug. If they ask what you find tell them mostly pulltabs, bottle caps and other trash. If they ask what are you looking for tell them historical items like buttons, buckles or anything with the town name on it. Never say coins. When people here coins they think of money. They think valuables. Also never say jewelry or rings. They think the same there. I have only ever had one person say they wanted sruff from a hunt. he happened to want everything so I said no thanks and went on my way. The hardest part is knocking on the door. After that what is the worst they can say? no? If you don't ask you don't get...

When you ask for a permission you want to be short and right to the point. I make it a habit to say that I am enthralled with the history of this town. I mention I do this through my hobby of detecting. Usually you will get a yes or no at this point. Others have questions. never say the word dig, instead say cut a plug. If they ask what you find tell them mostly pulltabs, bottle caps and other trash. If they ask what are you looking for tell them historical items like buttons, buckles or anything with the town name on it. Never say coins. When people here coins they think of money. They think valuables. Also never say jewelry or rings. They think the same there. I have only ever had one person say they wanted sruff from a hunt. he happened to want everything so I said no thanks and went on my way. The hardest part is knocking on the door. After that what is the worst they can say? no? If you don't ask you don't get...

good info

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom