• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Possible .44 Casing

archaeoyogi

Hi there,

I am trying to ID a cartridge casing I found. It's highly oxidized (green) so it is likely a copper or brass casing. The headstamp is not visible, however it is clearly a center-fire casing.

The measurements are approx. 1.3in (33.3mm) casing length with a base diameter of 0.438in (11mm). The research I've done so far is pointing towards the best match being .44 caliber based on the measurement, however I am not positive of this.

Attached are photos.

Thank you for your assistance.

Attachments

• DSCF0229.jpg
    DSCF0229.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 375
  • DSCF0230.jpg
    DSCF0230.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 376
I suspect what you have, given the condition, is a rifle cartridge that is heavily degraded. To be honest, unless you can lift the headstamp, you will never know for sure what it is.

You need to measure the neck where the bullet went in. Get that diameter in inches and that would be the caliber. Or clean the headstamp better to read it. You can't hurt it, it's probably not valuable.

You need to measure the neck where the bullet went in. Get that diameter in inches and that would be the caliber. Or clean the headstamp better to read it. You can't hurt it, it's probably not valuable.

Based on the pictures, I don't think there is anything left of the neck, or at least enough to measure off of.

The closest cartridge I've found so far is the 10mm Magnum. It was a propriety round made by AMT for the Automag IV from 1992-93 when 10mm was dropped in favor of the .45 Winchester Magnum.

It's a rimless case with a head dimeter of .425 and length of 1.255.

Can you tumble it and read the headstamp?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, unfortunately part of the neck is missing so I was not able to get a measurement. I was only able to measure the length of the casing and the base. From the field notes the measurement was reported as 1 5/16in length and 7/16in base diameter, then was later converted to decimals.

I don't have the casing as it's part of an archaeological site where no collections were made. So unfortunately I can't attempt to clean it to try to pull a headstamp from it. The area it was found in was part of a skirmish between a US Army regiment and Native Americans in 1859. The most recent artifact found within the same site was a 7-Up bottle from 1976.

If you guys know of any good books or resources that I could use please let me know. I just want to make sure I've exhausted all research sources before labeling it as unidentifiable.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, unfortunately part of the neck is missing so I was not able to get a measurement. I was only able to measure the length of the casing and the base. From the field notes the measurement was reported as 1 5/16in length and 7/16in base diameter, then was later converted to decimals.

I don't have the casing as it's part of an archaeological site where no collections were made. So unfortunately I can't attempt to clean it to try to pull a headstamp from it. The area it was found in was part of a skirmish between a US Army regiment and Native Americans in 1859. The most recent artifact found within the same site was a 7-Up bottle from 1976.

If you guys know of any good books or resources that I could use please let me know. I just want to make sure I've exhausted all research sources before labeling it as unidentifiable.

Thanks again.

I have to ask...did they leave the 7-UP bottle? :?: :lol:

The casing is from a semi auto or auto loading pistol or rifle. Because I do not know the length there is no way I can tell what rifle or pistol it came out of. It looks similar to a 30 carbine shell however that is pure speculation.

IF it was a 44 it would be a 44 automag and hence no rim.

The casing is from a semi auto or auto loading pistol or rifle. Because I do not know the length there is no way I can tell what rifle or pistol it came out of. It looks similar to a 30 carbine shell however that is pure speculation.

IF it was a 44 it would be a 44 automag and hence no rim.

Plenty of bolt-action, break-action, and lever action rifles use rimless cartridges, as do many revolvers. The .30 carbine does not match the posted dimensions.

Plenty of bolt-action, break-action, and lever action rifles use rimless cartridges, as do many revolvers. The .30 carbine does not match the posted dimensions.

Maybe not but just from looking at the base it seems a 30 carbine would fit. I know of no lever action or bolt action rifles that use rimless cartridges HOWEVER, I am no arms expert or even close.

The base doesn't look big enough to be any larger than a 30 carbine. BUT it could very well be a 223 or something that is broken down.

Maybe not but just from looking at the base it seems a 30 carbine would fit. I know of no lever action or bolt action rifles that use rimless cartridges HOWEVER, I am no arms expert or even close.

The base doesn't look big enough to be any larger than a 30 carbine. BUT it could very well be a 223 or something that is broken down.

Based on the measurements, it is significantly larger than a .30 carbine.

Most of the Mauser-based (bolt-action) rifles used rimless cartridges, and if you google .308 lever action (or another common rimless cartridge) you will find plenty of examples for sale.

Based on the measurements, it is significantly larger than a .30 carbine.

Most of the Mauser-based (bolt-action) rifles used rimless cartridges, and if you google .308 lever action (or another common rimless cartridge) you will find plenty of examples for sale.

You win. All my stuff is in Michigan and I am in Utah. I have nothing to go on here.

The base dimension of 7\16" figures to pretty close to the base diameter of the .30-06. The neck seems to be broken off which would explain the overall length not being correct for 06.
Shawn

The base dimension of 7\16" figures to pretty close to the base diameter of the .30-06. The neck seems to be broken off which would explain the overall length not being correct for 06.
Shawn

Unfortunately there are many, many cartridges that share the same or similar base diameter. Without a headstamp, there really isn't much to work off of here.

Back
Top Bottom