Tips for Digging - Need help please

Magnus

Hi all,

I need some advice. I live in an area with tons of clay. Ground is hard! After two trips out I am finding this miserable. I have a friend who's cousin uses a screw driver and after just a little probing can pop out a coin just like that. Now this guy has been doing this for years and has supposedly found >30,000 items - so he is an expert.

Any of you experts use this technique? Any other tips?
Thanks
Magnus

I never even heard of this technique. I would buy a Lesch Digger. See if that will break through the ground. Good luck.

Welcome

aboard.
What you have described is referred to as coin popping. Saves a lot of time especially in the situation you described. However you have to be able to pinpoint really really good to utilize it. As stated get a good digger, and practice, practice, practice. And before you know it you'll be able to coin pop also. And it doesn't really work for deep coins.
Hope this helps.

I never even heard of this technique.

Really? :roll: Many hobbyists use a "probe" which is basically a screwdriver or similar looking item to just pop shallow coins and objects without digging. Granted, IMO you're limited by depth, that technique surely isn't that great at anything past 2" But if you machine is dead on pinpointing, it works wonders for some... I'm not one of those :lol:

Good ol' Lesche for me regardless of depth :yes:

If there is a lot of trash or rocks in the soil then using a probe to pop the coins out seems like it would be a waste of time since you could never be sure what it is touching. But as far as hard clay goes , its gonna be hard digging no matter what. Or wait until after a hard rain. Having a good metal digger with a sharp edge on it helps a lot.

Or like one of these , which work good and at only around $10 ya cant go wrong. Sharpen the edge at the end and there is not much you cant dig through.

Attachments

• trowelsawtooth.jpg
    trowelsawtooth.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom