First real hunt with EQ800 was a success!

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
I resisted and resisted, told myself I wasn't going to buy into the hype but at the end of the day, I realized that if I was going to upgrade from my old Fisher 1266X, the Equinox 800 had all the features I wanted (and then some). So, I broke down and bought one from one of my customers who also happens to be a Minelab dealer. For the last week I have been fiddling with the settings, watching youtube vids and air testing it with various objects. Today I finally took it out on an actual hunt. I went to one of the oldest parks in my town, one I rarely hunt because it is frequented by pot smokers, tweakers, and other unsavory characters. It is also full of metallic trash, and I just couldn't handle it with my 1266. So I took a chance because I figured this park would be the best bet to see if the Equinox's legendary reputation for unmasking good stuff amongst the trash was actually deserved.
I set up the detector in Park 1, using a slightly modified version of Dirtfishing's coin program. 20 minutes in, got a solid 24-25, dug and found a 1957 wheat penny. In three hours of hunting I dug comparatively little trash, 5 wheats, and my third silver coin of the year, a 1954 Rosie . It is also the first silver I have ever found in a park. Two of the wheats were 1935s and those are now my oldest dug coins. I found 5 Jefferson nickels, (I rarely dig nickels with my Fisher),and a few modern clad coins. I also dug a flattened thimble that says " Carnation Mush" on it. Not a lot of Google info on that, but what I did find would indicate that it is pretty old.
To say I was impressed with the Equinox is a gross understatement. I have a lot to learn about it but there is no doubt in my mind that my finds are only going to get better. Thanks for looking and good luck!

Attachments

• 5 wheats 9-15-18.jpg
    5 wheats 9-15-18.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Thimble dime 1.jpg
    Thimble dime 1.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 185
  • thimble dime 2.jpg
    thimble dime 2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 182
Congratulations on all those finds! Park silver is a tough pull here in Montana. Regarding that thimble, Carnation was/is a big dairy and food company, "Carnation Mush" was one of their cereal products, made by the Albers Brothers Milling Company, and was kind of like Wheaties. It was sold in the teens and 1920's, so you have a cool advertising thimble from quite a ways back! Nice finds!

I resisted and resisted, told myself I wasn't going to buy into the hype but at the end of the day, I realized that if I was going to upgrade from my old Fisher 1266X, the Equinox 800 had all the features I wanted (and then some). So, I broke down and bought one from one of my customers who also happens to be a Minelab dealer. For the last week I have been fiddling with the settings, watching youtube vids and air testing it with various objects. Today I finally took it out on an actual hunt. I went to one of the oldest parks in my town, one I rarely hunt because it is frequented by pot smokers, tweakers, and other unsavory characters. It is also full of metallic trash, and I just couldn't handle it with my 1266. So I took a chance because I figured this park would be the best bet to see if the Equinox's legendary reputation for unmasking good stuff amongst the trash was actually deserved.
I set up the detector in Park 1, using a slightly modified version of Dirtfishing's coin program. 20 minutes in, got a solid 24-25, dug and found a 1957 wheat penny. In three hours of hunting I dug comparatively little trash, 5 wheats, and my third silver coin of the year, a 1954 Rosie . It is also the first silver I have ever found in a park. Two of the wheats were 1935s and those are now my oldest dug coins. I found 5 Jefferson nickels, (I rarely dig nickels with my Fisher),and a few modern clad coins. I also dug a flattened thimble that says " Carnation Mush" on it. Not a lot of Google info on that, but what I did find would indicate that it is pretty old.
To say I was impressed with the Equinox is a gross understatement. I have a lot to learn about it but there is no doubt in my mind that my finds are only going to get better. Thanks for looking and good luck!

Congrats on your first hunt finds with the Nox 800. I love mine and with the 6 inch coil it's a coin killer. I too like park one and use only 5 tones. Works for me on the clads and silvers. Also does okay with golds if you're lucky enough the get the coil over a good solid signal. GL & HH

Back
Top Bottom