Gold: Lost cottage field.(England)

Doug

Elite Member
More finds from the lost cottage field. Fire destroyed the cottages around 1942/3

Field now ready to be seeded with winter wheat over the next week, now on a limited time to search.

Machine used, XP, Deus Lite, 11" coil, stock program Deus Fast on V2.

Thanks for looking............Doug.

The soil can be seen to be a darker colour around the old cottages.
XJsyuHl.jpg

Gold ring.
FN7SbsR.jpg

Various finds.
7myjTP2.jpg

Lace chape bottom right 1600-1800, lead tobacco lid top right 1600-1850
6IaznW5.jpg

Various coins.
Q1ARZaC.jpg

Victorian sweetheart brooch.
9NDeXRU.jpg

ykvNQ6K.jpg

Clay pipe, surface find.
4i5Dyne.jpg

Makers mark.

MyEWDhO.jpg

Gold ring. Victorian?
xZ4TRJE.jpg

X2BehuB.jpg

EEUz0Np.jpg

Silver 3 pence.
GUqkykL.jpg

tkoVJHr.jpg

Big congrats on a bunch of really nice finds! Y'all have some really old places to hunt to compared to here in the States.

beephead

Neato! I like the clay pipes. Learned about them from detectorists tv show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a nice old ring, congrats on that and all the other great finds you made! Thanks for sharing!!

Hey Doug! Love your finds of course, but what I really liked is how you could SEE the change in earth color and went over there to give it a swing! Paying attention and noticing the subtle changes in the terrain...WOW! Thanks for the lesson!

Neato! I like the clay pipes. Learned about them from detectorists tv show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

No real way to date clay pipes other than the older they are the smaller the bore in the pipe stem.

Tobacco was a very expensive commodity in its time of the first clay pipes and smoking.

Off topic.

The other clay item which I pick up from time to time is clay wig rollers, example below.

Last edited:
Hey Doug! Love your finds of course, but what I really liked is how you could SEE the change in earth color and went over there to give it a swing! Paying attention and noticing the subtle changes in the terrain...WOW! Thanks for the lesson!

Good evening Mr Mud.

Although the colour difference was obvious from the height I was stood at the soil was slightly damp which made the area stand out even more.

Modern technology makes matching up old and new features on maps a lot more easier now with computers.

The screen shot, on the left is the 1899 map and the right an aerial view from 2016.

The old public footpath (dotted lines) from bottom right to where the arrow is I can trace out with my mouse curser from the old map to the Ariel photograph.

wV3WBHF.jpg

Well that was a nice hunt. Looks like the ring has may be a garnet or ruby stone? And that brooch is really nice too. Congrats Doug!!

Well that was a nice hunt. Looks like the ring has may be a garnet or ruby stone? And that brooch is really nice too. Congrats Doug!!

Thank you cntrydncr1.

On the other hand I do dig up some strange things.....:D

From yesterday.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom