1909 VDB

Roger B

Forum Supporter
Two months ago I started this hobby and since then I have been learning from folks here, studying finds, and reading about coins. Well, I just realized that one of my first Wheat Penny finds is a 1909 Vdb. I think it's amazing that I have one of the first Lincoln pennies made!
That's probably not a big deal to a seasoned detectorist but it just excites me to imagine what is out there yet to be found.
I mean, this is crazy, I'm a 50 year old, happily married with two great kids, a home owner, and a decent career, yet I'm excited about finding a penny!
Go figure...............

Good job Roger B. My oldest wheat penny is a 1920s. Good luck with future hunts.

Roger B said:
I mean, this is crazy, I'm a 50 year old, happily married with two great kids, a home owner, and a decent career, yet I'm excited about finding a penny!
Go figure...............

Lol, crazy what this hobby does do us isn't it? Ain't it great? :grin: :grin:

Roger B said:
Two months ago I started this hobby and since then I have been learning from folks here, studying finds, and reading about coins. Well, I just realized that one of my first Wheat Penny finds is a 1909 Vdb. I'm excited about finding a penny!
Go figure...............

It really makes you take a look at the things we take for granted, doesn't it?

For instance .... those 2004 and 2005 nickels they produced.... those are collectibles right now and they're in circulation. The ones with the new obverse and reverse on the same coin are going to be worth something because it's the only year since (can't remember .... need to research it again.. LOL!) that the obveerse and reverse were ever changed on the nickel.

I'm saving as many as I can.

Congrats on the wheat, and snowy, you're right about those nickels. I have the 04 and 05's both P and D mints in gold and platinum plate as well as regular. I also have the 05's in the satin finish. I also just recieved the 06's in both P and D mint rolls and lucked out with the P mint because the first coin in the roll is a mint error. I just wonder if the rest behind it are.

LOL ....

OH! and did you see the .999 silver dime they are puting out? Not for circulation ... um .. and the 1929 Inian Head?

Sorry ... didn't mean to change the subject of the tring, but I'm so excited about these coins but I haven't had the chance to order them yet.

Imagine if some child gets into his dad's stash and uses that dime (or the IH) as clad .....!

Would have been alot happier if it had an S mint mark, the holy grail of Lincolns.
Congrats on your find, I have found a few of those ... In fact, I hope to eventually complete a type set of dug Lincolns.

I have had people ask me why I spent all that money just to find pocket change. Well, what they don't and can't realize is its not just the finding of this small change, but the thrill of the hunt. To me, when I find something in the ground, I know this is something that was lost forever till someone like me comes along and brings it back to the light of day. And the laws of probability are that sooner or later, one of those finds is gonna be a real keeper. :yes:

Congrats, Roger! :grin:

Yeah, I share the same enthusiasm; even after years of detecting, finding one of those gets me excited too. :)

I was excited when I found my 1909 penny too. I would have been more excited if I found it metal detecting instead of getting it back as change at a store. :lol: It surprised me that this thing was going around still.

Back
Top Bottom