Nice ummm ... Little metal container

X

Xray

For lack of a better description. Looks like it might be some kind of balm/ makeup container. There is something rattling around inside there, but I haven't pried it open yet. It will take some force, and I don't want to damage it trying to see what it contains.
I've been eyeballing this lot I have drove past multiple times a day for the past week by where I'm working at. I could tell by the tree patterns ect that once, there stood a house there. This is in a very run down section of Detroit, and for once I went packing while detecting. Went to work half an hour early with the intention of probing this lot.
This place has got potential, not much trash there at all, telling me that once the house was gone, there was not much activity at this lot [unlike some others that have become a hang out for wino parties and what not, and are trashed with bottle caps].
Found this about 4 inches down.
First pic is what it looked like right out of the ground.
Second is slightly cleaned up.
Third is size comparison [note that the image of the "thing" above the quarter in the 3rd pic is not to scale - I pasted it in and resized it to fit].
Actually has a nice pattern on it, with birds, fish, and some "what-nots".
Composition is apparently copper, and there is some kind of name on the botton, can't quite make it out yet.
So .... If I get it cleaned up much better, and/or find that in contains anything interesting, I'll post back.

Attachments

• mb1 (Medium).jpg
    mb1 (Medium).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 244
  • mb2 (Medium).jpg
    mb2 (Medium).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 237
angel - Yeah, it does have some weight to it.
I'll slap it on my digital scale later and edit this message with weight.
Weighs in a 37 grams, 10 g's heavier than a silver dollar.

Craig - Yeah, for sure. Maybe it contains some vintage LSD tabs from the 60's or something. Far out, man !
There is something small sounding rattling around in there, though you'd think any perishables would have turned to mush by now.
Maybe the pills have petrified.

Cool looking find Jesse. So, you had to carry some protection with you eh :shock:. Ever had any trouble before?

Oh, I've been in plenty of trouble hoser- Not while Md'ing though.
Just rather be safe than sorry. No slight towards blacks, I'm not that much of a racist, but this is an area far, far away from where few whites have ventured before in decades, very high rates of drug activity and murder around those parts.
Even some cops rolling by did some comical double takes seeing me out in the field there.
The area was once, of course, safe and prosperous, and the city is loaded with lots like this that have high potential, as few of the residents of the neighborhood are into metal detecting [I think its safe to say], and few who are in the surrounding suburbs care to be adverterous enough to detect them.

I see it on the news up here all the time. Brave soul you are Jesse, just be careful eh. I would have loved to see the look on that officers face though. :shock:

Artemis said:
You're killing me. Open it it up and see whats in there...

I tried tonight, after cleaning it again with a toothbrush/water/soap combo, and very lightly trying to get out some of the crud in the crease between the objects halves with a sharp razor.
Would not open .. I am now soaking it in olive oil in the hopes it may loosen it up a bit.
Also, an engraved name is starting to make itself clear on the bottom [right side in the pics], and hopefully the soaking will help with that too.

No, no crack pipes. An item like that left laying around would be snapped up quick.
My main concern was unearthing a rusty needle or someones jawbone, something like that.
This lot is clean though as I said. I wonder if theres a way to find out the history of the property that used to sit there.

It's a pill box. I have one very simlar that my mawmaw gave me that she carried around in her purse.
So open it already and see if you can tell what kind of stuff is in it.
Mawmaw's had baby asprins and a stone that fell out of her necklace.
So it could have anything in it!

Just my 2 cents worth.....
Nancy

Back
Top Bottom