I wouldn't believe it had I not dug it myself

bearbqd

Elite Member
Unnnn-believable!Sighhhhh. I don't think I would have believed this story had I not dug it myself. I went to the latest field where there are numerous detectorists there everyday. After searching the lower grass area for awhile and finding nothing of note I moved toward the far right corner where I had found my two good bullets the other day. I found the knapsack J hook in the photo on Friday. I got a good signal on one of the banks leading towards the railroad track and found another nice confederate gardner bullet about 6 inches down. I had know idea what I was about to find.

I made my way up to the very corner of the field and saw a dug hole there. This was an almost perfectly cylindrical hole about 6 inches across and about 9 inches deep. Now, about half the time when I'm out there and I come across a hole, filled in or not, I run my coil over it to see if the previous digger missed something. I did this with this hole and got a very loud tone that sounded like a surface soda can. " Wow", I said. "What the heck is that and why didn't they dig it up?" I thought maybe the digger had found some junk and left it in the bottom of the hole but I felt down to the bottom and felt undug, packed earth. I then stuck my probe in the hole to see if I could pin point where the object was. The sound was strong over the entire bottom of the hole. " What in the world?"

Taking my shovel, I started to open up the perimeter of the backside of the hole to see if I could get a better approach to what was in there. Digging deep and behind the signal I started to bring up the shovel full of dirt when I saw something come up. I sat there stunned for a second trying to comphrehend what I was looking at as I was looking at the backside. I plucked the item up and turned it over. What I was staring at was a Union (most likely officer's) sword belt plate. The plate is in great shape with just the backside hook being broken; probably the reason why it was discarded. Someone actually left this in the ground??? :roll: The only thing I can gather is that maybe the digger had started digging this hole when it was getting dark, they didn't have a flashlight, and they didn't have a probe. But would anyone actually leave a signal that strong in a civil war relic field that was 10 inches in the ground? I guess so. And I thought finding the 1819 Large Cent around other holes in that field was amazing. All I could keep saying all the way home was "Unbelievable", and " Thank you God."

The other couple of items in the photos I'm not sure of. They are apparently brass or copper considering their patina. Wow, what a day.

Attachments

• Belt Plate cleaned.jpg
    Belt Plate cleaned.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 495
  • belt plate day.jpg
    belt plate day.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 463
That's a beautiful belt plate bear, good on you for finding it! I'd get it valued, might be worth a bit to a collector. Be nice to know anyhow.
Cheers Angela :grin:

What a great great find. Wish there were a few of those up here. I may have to visit WV myself and see if there are any more :grin: :yes:
You are off to a flying start.
Keep it up.
:yes: :yes:

Congrats Bear awesome find... Sounds to me like the guy gave up thinking he was digging junk... His laziness is your gain :)

That's a really awesome find! You're now in an elite club of relic hunters :lol: I'd go back out there and find some more!

TonyinCT said:
What a great great find. Wish there were a few of those up here. I may have to visit WV myself and see if there are any more  :grin: :yes:
You are off to a flying start.
Keep it up.
:yes: :yes:

Come on down anytime Tony. There's lots of civil war history around here.
~ Alan ~ said:
What a lovely thing to find, well done :yes:

Does that area have any history to it ?

Alan, this area has tons of civil war history.
coinhunter113 said:
The guy probably went to the bathroom and came back to his hole dug up and the item gone. :lol:

Lol, wouldn't that be a kicker. :lol:

Thanks everyone. I took it to work today to show everyone and had it in my pocket all day. I kept pulling it out to look at it and kept saying "Did I really find this?? Someone pinch me!".

Consider yourself pinched...yes, you found it. Congrats.   Aguila :grin:

All I can say is WOW! What a breath-taking find! And to think most of the work was already done for you!! :lol:

Seriously, that is an amazing find especially in an area that's well hunted...you gotta be lovin' that!! Way to go and HH!!!

Bear, that is really a beautiful belt plate. Congratulations, big time!
One of the former members of my MD club here in Fort Wayne, Indiana recently found an Alabama belt plate here in IN!!! He put it on the internet, and sold it to a Civil War collector for $8,000!!! I would put it between acrylic to keep fingerprints off of it when showing it, to keep its value. Good luck with it.
Scrltt641

Back
Top Bottom