Connecticut Park Finds

angellionel

Elite Member
I hit a Connecticut park today, actually two, but the first one was a bust. The first park, Riverside, has some nice soft soil, due to it’s nearness to the Connecticut River and the fact that the site can become flooded at times. I worked it for a little more than an hour, and picked up a few nickels and memorial pennies, but nothing old. I was tempted to detect by the river’s shore, but decided to head to the next park instead.

The second park is one I’ve hit a few times last year, and had picked up a few good coins from there, in addition to a silver ring and pendant. The park’s fields are "littered" with clad coins, due to the many office workers that eat their lunch while sitting on those fields each workday. This time I decided to cherry-pick the site, and so programmed the DFX to accept only VDI’s from +75 to +94.

There were quite a few people walking in the park, and several simply laying out in the fields taking in the sun. I began to work, and soon enough started picking up some coins. It was fun hitting the quarters, but I was still looking for at least one silver coin. The clad quarters were no deeper than 4 ? inches, so they were easy to recover. Two holes had three quarters each. I love hitting such spills. Then, after about 50 minutes of working the field, I hit on a soft quarter tone. It was pinpointing at 8 inches, and this gave me hope that I had finally hit on a silver coin. I cut a plug, laid down my towel and began to drop the soil on it as I dug – and there it was, the reeded edge of a silvery coin sticking out of the mound of soil. I eagerly picked it up and was happy to see a Barber in my hand. The coin is dated 1915-D and has some nice details, with “Liberty” still visible on the headband.

That general area yielded several more clad quarters and dimes. I continued swinging away, working my way to a cement wall near one of the roads. I picked up a few more coins, and then one target I hit and was now pinpointing was coming in at about 7 inches. This one was hitting a VDI of no more than 77-79. Following the same steps as with the Barber, I soon had a well-worn silver dime, a merc, in my hand, but this one had me holding my breath as I noticed the mint date – 1916. I turned it over hoping for a D mintmark, but there was none. Darn! So close!

I worked the field for another 30 minutes or so, picking up several more clads and one 1946 wheaty, then decided to call it a day. As I walked to my car I began to think how great it would have been to detect at this park 25 years ago. The place must have been covered in silver.

The count - 80 clad coins = $12.70:
Quarters = 41
Dimes = 22
Nickels = 2
Cents = 15

Angel

coins043006A.jpg

Thanks Craig. :)

The Barber does have a few pits on the reverse, but it's not a bad looking coin. I was very happy to find it.

I looked at the merc through a magnifying glass - hoping against hope - but nothing there. However, when I scan the coin and enlarge the section, it seems to show a worn "D". An optical illusion of course. :)

See the scan below.

coins043006B.jpg

That Barber is Smokin. :yes: Very nice. I love hitting old places that are still used - find plenty of clad with occasional old stuff. Best of both worlds. You really cashed in on the quarters.

Mirage

Is it true that areas near the river are too hard to find the older coins, since they are about two feet deep? Someone told me that floods deposit layers of silt and that the old coins will be too deep to be found. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks guys! :)

Boot, many flood prone areas near the river do get a good amount of sediment dropped on it, though I'm not sure how much, or if it would be two foot deep. I look at the base of the trees in the area to try and get an idea of the amount of additional soil layered over, and I have yet to see any that would indicate anything more than several inches.

Angel

Thanks Epi!  :)

Mirage, this park is definitely a good one for testing different programs. There are plenty of clads, which would make for a nice leisure hunt anyway, and since the park is old, the occasional old coin may be found as well.

Angel

Beautiful coins! I am still waiting on my first Barber...I can only imagine how you must have felt when you eyed the date on that dime! :grin: Great Hunt!

Wow that barber dime is in wonderful condition!
I have found one b/dime, it was in terrible condition and I lost it before I got home! :mad:

Wow Angel, That Barber is a beaut!!!  You sure know how to make that DFX sing!!   :grin:   

Keep it up!  HH!!

Angel, that barber is awesome. Yeah, its a shame the "D" wasn't there for you buddy. :( But very nice finds these are. :yes:

boot said:
Did you soak the Barber quarter in Ammonia?

Yes, and no more than 10 minutes was needed to remove any caked in soil. I followed it with mild soap and water using a very soft toothbrush. :)

I saw a postcard of Riverside Park the other day. Have you been successful at that park?

boot said:
I saw a postcard of Riverside Park the other day.  Have you been successful at that park?

This was my first time there, boot. I may give it another shot in the future, though.

Back
Top Bottom