Toasted 164? Liard DE france coin found in woods.

Dakotademon7

Forum Supporter
I decided to do a little hunting in the woods behind my house. I was getting some hits on a couple of old shotgun head stamps. Got back to swinging after digging the head stamps when I got a faint but constant tone in the low 400's on the meter. Got the meter set to read 550 on clad quarter. Thought to myself that I had a deep head stamp ot flat button. Dug my plug and broke out the good old carrot. Had to dig a little deeper and found what I thought was a flat button at first. After looking at it for a second,I realize it's some kind of coin. Excited at finding some kind of coin , I grab up my stuff and head to the house. Cleaned it up with some warm water and dish soap then town dried it. I seen the DE France on the one side and started searching Google pics to try and match it up. At first , I was feeling it may be some kind of token. I found a pic of a coin that matched up with what I could see on mine then jumped into Google search part 2. Found some info on the coin along with the location the date should be. At this point , I'm pumped about how old it is. I had to break out the reading glasses , magnafying glass and flashlight. It sucks the the date side is the worst side but a lot of looking , I was able to make out a very faint 164 in the date location. Looks like I broke into the 1600's club. Sorry pics are not better. My phone don't like taking close ups.

Last edited:
I could use some input from the coin pro's on this. The ones I see on Google have a letter below the word france but mine doesn't have a letter. I see a very faint animal with two long spikes coming straight up out of the top of its head where the letter should be.

Awesome find, congrats ! Wish I could help you on the ID. I m surprised more folks have t chimed in, but imagine you'll get some help soon
Congrats on an insanely old coin !

That is ridiculously old!
Don't forget to change your signature:D

And I thought the 1788 CT copper would be the oldest coin I would ever find. There's something special about this property. It has a history of farm land from my research but I'm finding coins ,lots of flat buttons and very old shotgun head stamps.

Back
Top Bottom