What Happened To This Category ??

arw40

Forum Supporter
Not to take anything away from peoples great finds BUT there are so many posts here that DO NOT belong under Eye Popping finds..This use to be a great category now its just filled with a huge amount of posts that are by no means eye popping...

What some people call an exciting find may only be exciting to them, but it's still fun and educational to see what people find.

Just for the sake of discussion, I moderated an automotive website's forum for about 13 years. Besides keeping law and order, my job was to move threads around if they weren't posted in the right subject area.
If any thread is posted where it shouldn't be, it could be relocated.

I just glanced over the first page and didn't see anything that shouldn't be there..

If you really feel that way, you're somehow spoiled and should be thankful to be in that position..

One person's fish of a lifetime may actually be another's every day dinner fare..

<°)))>{

I just glanced over the first page and didn't see anything that shouldn't be there..

If you really feel that way, you're somehow spoiled and should be thankful to be in that position..

One person's fish of a lifetime may actually be another's every day dinner fare..

<°)))>{

I agree Scratcher and as I have said earlier I am not taking away from anyone`s finds. Some of them are amazing..I guess I`m simply stating that there are many posts that should be moved to other category`s. Most could be shared under Stories.....Common buttons, year end pics, stories from youtube, weird finds in my car, keepers thus far, stories about bones ( well this blew my mind), There are a LOT of posts if you continue for a few pages that are simply peoples finds thus far this year.

Maybe this will help?
A couple finds from my first hunt with the Racer (small coil) this spring.
Still squeezing a few goodies out of my favorite site. This site has no less than 4 nails per scoop of dirt many of which are 4.5 inches long. If you look at the star behind the bonnet on the double you can see the rust deposit from from one of the large square nails that was pinned up against it, this coin was just below the plow zone about 8" and at about 45 degree angle which is why none of the many other machines I've used hit this coin. Also was able to pull out my first quarter eagle 1854 O, it was about three inches down and surrounded by many small nails . This coin is is known for the weak strike and is actually in pretty good shape ... to bad it wasn't a S now that would have been mind blowing , oh well maybe I'll find that one this fall.

Attachments

• NCM_0165.jpg
    NCM_0165.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,085
Maybe this will help?
Still squeezing a few goodies out of my favorite site. This site has no less than 4 nails per scoop of dirt many of which are 4.5 inches long. If you look at the star behind the bonnet on the double you can see the rust deposit from from one of the large square nails that was pinned up against it, this coin was just below the plow zone about 8" and at about 45 degree angle which is why none of the many other machines I've used hit this coin. Also was able to pull out my first quarter eagle 1854 O, it was about three inches down and surrounded by many small nails . This coin is is known for the weak strike and is actually in pretty good shape ... to bad it wasn't a S now that would have been mind blowing , oh well maybe I'll find that one this fall.

My mind just blew and my eyes popped. Holy grail! Congrats!

Maybe this will help?

You dug those two?????? :roll:

You dug those two?????? :roll:

Gold does not really tarnish or react with anything so it comes out of the ground the same way it went in, usually a few visible (with magnification) hairlines from contact with the soil which means they often comeback from grading as cleaned even though most were not. Only ever soak with distilled water and mild soap then rinse then pat dry. I do use lemon juice to remove rust stains (like on the double) and my results are as good or better as when the grading companies remove the soil themselves. Here is a couple before pics of each.

Attachments

• NCM_0118.jpg
    NCM_0118.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 874
  • NCM_0116.jpg
    NCM_0116.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 936
Eye popping and mind blowing are subjective. While it may not be eye popping to everyone, it is to the poster. I enjoy reading threads posted here regardless just because the thread starter is clearly excited about the find. To me, a thread by someone who just found their first mercury dime is more fun to read than a thread about someone else's 50th large cent.

dirt weasel,
Beautiful coins. They deserve a thread of their own! And yep, much like silver coins, gold coins generally come out of the ground looking just like the day they were lost. A few of the ones I found had some bad places or corrosion on them only due to being near something iron. Others came out looking perfect.

Gold does not really tarnish or react with anything so it comes out of the ground the same way it went in, usually a few visible (with magnification) hairlines from contact with the soil which means they often comeback from grading as cleaned even though most were not. Only ever soak with distilled water and mild soap then rinse then pat dry. I do use lemon juice to remove rust stains (like on the double) and my results are as good or better as when the grading companies remove the soil themselves. Here is a couple before pics of each.

Perhaps it was the upside down/sideways. That's insane.

Just so you guys know, there may come a day when a weatie found will be posted here. But for now I would say 99 % of the finds posted here would blow my mind if I pulled a plug and found them at the end of my pinpointer.
I'd say that it's all good around here .

^^^^

I've found hundreds of old military and civilian buttons over the years, from Rev war, Indian wars,1812 and civil war not one really blew my mind. To find one with a (thread attached) would blow my mind.... good thread to attach the picture to. :D

^^^^

I've found hundreds of old military and civilian buttons over the years, from Rev war, Indian wars,1812 and civil war not to none really blew my mind. To find one with a (thread attached) would blow my mind.... good thread to attach the picture to. :D

I still can't understand how there is still thread on it.

Perhaps it was the upside down/sideways. That's insane.
Not quite sure exactly what your trying to say... but I knew from testing and from many other finds on this site what I likely had before the shovel went down. With this knowledge any sane person would turn it into more of a archaeological dig than anything resembling normal recovery.
So yes I knew exactly how this coin was laying in relation to the ground level and I remember the coin even came partially out with the nail when I pulled that away first. This is how I can also say it was below the normal plow zone or till zone because the nail had to have been there several years undisturbed for the rust deposit to attach to the coin.

Not quite sure exactly what your trying to say... but I knew from testing and from many other finds on this site what I likely had before the shovel went down. With this knowledge any sane person would turn it into more of a archaeological dig than anything resembling normal recovery.
So yes I knew exactly how this coin was laying in relation to the ground level and I remember the coin even came partially out with the nail when I pulled that away first. This is how I can also say it was below the normal plow zone or till zone because the nail had to have been there several years undisturbed for the rust deposit to attach to the coin.

I was saying they didn't look like dug coins, but that perhaps it was hard to tell because the coins are sideways in your pic.

Wait so you're saying you knew it was a gold coin before you dug it?

Back
Top Bottom