Kids detector...?

Dsm_mechva

Forum Supporter
I know this question has probably been posted 1000 times but instead of searching for it I'll ask again for thoughts from members in similar situation or have been through it.

So for a 6yr old girl ..who likes to use my GPP to locate coins (that I plant) in the yard. I can't take her to the places I go...little bit too scary and dangerous for her. So it would be a in the yard type thing.

I see the hobby lobby 40% coupon deal which is good I guess. I've checked CL nothing there for around here.

I can't spend a bunch of cash on this but thought it would be fun to find something other than my GPP to use.

I'm guessing the BHJR or something in that price range...who knows next year she may have zero interest. F2 and such would be too much $ to invest right now and probably too heavy for her anyway.

Maybe I can find one at the goodwill or something. :lol:

Since I'm stuck home for now figured I'd post this and see what others say.

If you were looking to spend a little more I would say a tesoro compadre , very simple to use and if she didnt take to it you would have a great little backup detector that you probably would want to use often. But since you dont want to spend that much I think you are on the right track with the hobby lobby thing or a bounty hunter junior.

Thanks Chris, I'm thinking BHJR and if she stays interested then something better later.

She has asked to use my ATP before ..and that's just not happening. :lol:

My kids (6,4) get to use my bounty hunter prospector (tracker IV).

They don't yet have the patience, though my son (4) likes to DIG!

i would stay away from the BHJR, its almost like a toy imo, although it has awesome recovery on it, but for the same price of the BHJR you can use the Hobby Lobby coupon and get her the Tracker 4 which would work great for under $60. or you can just buy one from a FMDF member HERE and get the detector with the HF pin pointer for $50.

I’d look into Tesoro, too. Nice and light, simple, powerful, not expensive for the lower models. :)

I got a compadre just saying lol need money for another coil on my omega :lol:

Etp

Euro Tek Pro with 11dd = 299.00, or 219.00 with the 8 inch coil, great features, Large ID , Iron audio ,mid grade capabilities with a low end cost, happy hunting Earl

I'm familiar with most detectors...just wondered about a inexpensive super lite kids machine. I'm not really familiar with BHJR but seemed to fit the bill for a first machine for her or something along those lines even if it's toy like that's ok for now.

I'd be too tempted to keep all those other suggestions for myself. :lol:

I appreciate the replies...after more consideration I think I will hold off and see if she's still interested once the weather warms back up then maybe a better machine may be the best option at that time.

Last edited:
I'm familiar with most detectors...just wondered about a inexpensive super lite kids machine. I'm not really familiar with BHJR but seemed to fit the bill for a first machine for her or something along those lines even if it's toy like that's ok for now.

I'd be too tempted to keep all those other suggestions for myself. :lol:

I appreciate the replies...after more consideration I think I will hold off and see if she's still interested once the weather warms back up then maybe a better machine may be the best option at that time.
And if you do id get a garret since thats what you use

sorry guys but a f2 or tesoro is overkill for a six year old. go to harbor freight tools and get the 9 function metal detector. there like 35 bucks with a coupon. you can look up videos on youtube. they are not a bad detector (well for 35 bucks). the coil is even waterproof.

If you decide on getting a Tesoro Compadre you can get most of your money back on resale if it turns out that your kid is not into detecting. On the hand, if he takes up detecting big time, he'll have a detector that he won't outgrow and will enjoy using. I use mine for a loaner, if someone without any experience wants to go detecting with me, because it's so easy to use and works so well. All I do is set the discrimination for them and tell them to start digging all repeatable audio signals. It doesn't get any easier than that. If you buy a cheap kid detector you're just throwing your money away.

beephead

I think the 35$ hf md will be frustrating and discouraging to a new user, compadre is simple as well as the f2 and the f2 has a screen. That said I have a like new compadre I just bought for my brother who bought an ace250 without me knowing the sameday lol I'll sell it for the price I paid $125 I believe

I'd get a Tesoro Compadre. It's light enough for a child and has the ability to satisfy the needs of a seasoned hunter. Can't really say that about the BH.

The Compadre has the best warranty too. Chances are you'll never part with it when anything else can be easily parted with! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom