Help me find a detector

hobbz

I'm pretty new to the hobby, but have already realized my bh tracker iv isn't the best. I live in eastern ky and the soil is hard clay. I plan on coin and relic hunting. Most will be done in the woods and old farm fields. There won't be any beach hunts as there aren't any around.

I will have around $500 to spend on a new detector and want to get something that will suite my area best.

Thanks for any help.

Hobbz-garage.com

You will get dozens of responses to your question of which detector to buy. I use a Teknetics T2 myself as my main machine, but in the $500 range I have heard great things about the Garrett AT Pro and AT Gold. The most important thing is not which detector you use, but learning to use the detector you have. Pick one, learn what sounds produce what items and refine your learning to the point you dig very little trash. The one single thing that is key to finding anything is to get a decent pin pointer. A good one will cost $100 or more, but is worth every cent. A good sturdy digger is pretty important too.

You will get dozens of responses to your question of which detector to buy. I use a Teknetics T2 myself as my main machine, but in the $500 range I have heard great things about the Garrett AT Pro and AT Gold. The most important thing is not which detector you use, but learning to use the detector you have. Pick one, learn what sounds produce what items and refine your learning to the point you dig very little trash. The one single thing that is key to finding anything is to get a decent pin pointer. A good one will cost $100 or more, but is worth every cent. A good sturdy digger is pretty important too.

X2,

I have the ATPro, and love the Iron Discrimination feature, that's one of the main reasons I chose it. BUT I'll admit I have not used comparable products. Do your research, ask many questions, and use the "compare detector" feature on some of the websites. Make a phone call to one of the web pages sponsors.

What ever you decide don't get too excited, a year or two later, you will want to upgrade:grin:

You will get ALOT of different opinions on this so here is mine.

I just finished my second season with the AT Pro and cannot say enough good about it. I have found more silver and old copper in these last 2 years than I did in the 10 years before that.
My main AT Pro has been used hard and put away wet. Just gets thrown in the truck and off I go. It may get wiped down a couple times a season but that is it. It has never failed me other than a broken arm cuff and a scratched up faceplate, replacements of both were dispatched to me immediately upon request. by the manufacture free of charge.
This machine is easy to learn, has a lot of great features, is well built and made in the USA. Has a 2 year warranty that is fully backed and is known for the greatest customer service in the business.
This is right in your price range and it is waterproof and submersible. You may not water hunt but you don't have to worry about a sudden downpour either.
If you like to dig deep old silver then this is the machine to do it.
Good luck in your search. You will find a lot of great info on here about different units.
Now get ready for a couple of Ford vs Chevy style debates LOL!

I have been doing some research, but didn't want to sway people's comments by listing names of one's I am thinking about.

On a side note, what does dd mean coil wise?

Hobbz-garage.com

For that price range AT PRO.

Dry land, beaches, water, you can't go wrong.

Plus so much in terms of videos and information on them due to the fact so many people use them and are very happy. Put a 5x8 coil on that beast and you have a real serious machine at a excellent price.

I'm pretty new to the hobby, but have already realized my bh tracker iv isn't the best. I live in eastern ky and the soil is hard clay. I plan on coin and relic hunting. Most will be done in the woods and old farm fields. There won't be any beach hunts as there aren't any around.

I will have around $500 to spend on a new detector and want to get something that will suite my area best.
Thanks for any help.
Hobbz-garage.com

Have you seen this detector poll? check out the results.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=107109&highlight=detector+poll

Ivan

At pro gets my vote ..

Whichever you decide ...being in KY I suggest something with adjustable ground balance and DD coil would be helpful as well.

Last edited:
I'm going to chime in another shout out for the AT Pro. I started with a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II and after a year upgraded to the AT. I found a lot of great stuff with the QDII but it has very little ability to separate different targets in trashy areas which means there is a better chance that trash will mask good targets. Being waterproof is a great feature. No problems detecting in a nice rain shower or laying your detector down in wet grass and if you happen upon a beach, you can jump in with it. Waterproof also makes it dustproof which is good.

For the price range you are talking about, there are a lot of good detectors. I did a lot of research before I bought and have not had one regret yet. Even though I think I will spring for a higher end machine eventually, I will keep the ATP and hunt with it in certain conditions.

Oh yeah, read that article the Big Treble posted about the DD. It is a great choice when detecting an area with a lot of trash.

Good luck and happy hunting.

I use an omega, and from videos I've seen its not that great out in western soil, maybe I'm wrong?

I will suggest buying used.. from a reputable seller or forum sponsor

Xterra 305 and pro pointer. call Bart, about $450 and he may throw in some headphones and digger.

bigboyshobbies.net

305 is on special $329 and get w.e pp you want not a fan of gpp personally get a trx or an xpointer

Thanks for any help.
Hobbz-garage.com

My choice How about a whites GMT used

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/classifieds/item/36-whites-gmt/

This guy Steve Herschbach is fantastic to deal with.
Check out his cassifieds. http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/classifieds/

He takes very good care of his MDs

I bought my Deus from him, bought it one evening he shipped next morning.
Looks brand new.
Ivan

Thanks guys, I think with your help, I have talked myself into the at pro... I guess I will give Bart a call tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom