minelab safari still relevant?

gianetics

Elite Member
i have an at pro and love it. but i also love trying new toys. im wondering if the minelab safari is still a relevant machine. i know the recovery speed is not good and it used a single number vdi vs fe/co numbers on other minelabs. i like hunting coins and relics and my ground is highly mineralized where i hunt 89-93 on atp. would i gain any depth or acurate id with the safari over the atp. in my ground real deep stuff starts falling into the iron range with every detector ive tried. in terms of trash density some places are real "clean" while others have trash on every swing.
finally has anyone used a safari where there are a ton of shell casings. my 705 used to love brass.

I love my Safari! Picked one up used, you can find them under $600. Have a local park that I've hit a couple dozen times this year, seems like I've combed every square inch of it with the Pro, 11 silver coins (which is excellent for any park in my area). While I love the Pro, I always wondered what I was missing because I know that in my soil it just doesn't get the same depth as in other parts of the country. But that's not exactly right. It does get very good depth, but it doesn't give a signal that I would dig at depth. I know, dig everything right? But I don't want to dig everything, I want to dig mostly good things. While the Pro will find a dime at 6 or 7 inches in my neck of the woods, it won't SOUND like a dime. It sometimes does, but it mostly sounds like foil, or maybe a nail. In a park setting with medium to high trash, I don't stop on those sounds because those sounds are 90% of what I'm hearing. My theory and reasoning behind trying the Safari was, the more tones the better. More info. More tonal info. I thought with more tones, if it doesn't exactly sound like a perfect dime, it will sound MORE like a dime than foil or trash. And it turns out I was right. First time at the honey hole with the Safari I went straight to the trashy areas by some old stone bbq pits, and here came the wheaties. I was impressed. Then to the picnic pavilion and here came the silver. Then the indians. Then more silver. I pulled silver out of the same hole as rusty nails, and silver from underneath cigarette foil. They weren't deeper than the coins I had dug with the Pro, but they were strong, definite, dig me now because I'm something awesome tones. The vdi numbers on the safari are slow and not always accurate, but the tones almost never lie. Even when they do lie, they still mostly tell the truth. While I would have loved an Etrac or CTX, I couldn't afford one. But I could afford a used Safari and I could not be happier. AT Pro sits in the closet unless it's raining.

thanks luke. thats what im finding with the at its deep as any detector but in my ground after about 5-6 inches on a dime it starts dropping. this isnt just the at i used a f2 eurotek xterra 705 and the atp. the 705 and at could hit the deep targets but both would register iron hits. im talking -8 on the xterra and 15-20 on the atp. theres no way im digging those with either machine.

I love my Safari! Picked one up used, you can find them under $600. Have a local park that I've hit a couple dozen times this year, seems like I've combed every square inch of it with the Pro, 11 silver coins (which is excellent for any park in my area). While I love the Pro, I always wondered what I was missing because I know that in my soil it just doesn't get the same depth as in other parts of the country. But that's not exactly right. It does get very good depth, but it doesn't give a signal that I would dig at depth. I know, dig everything right? But I don't want to dig everything, I want to dig mostly good things. While the Pro will find a dime at 6 or 7 inches in my neck of the woods, it won't SOUND like a dime. It sometimes does, but it mostly sounds like foil, or maybe a nail. In a park setting with medium to high trash, I don't stop on those sounds because those sounds are 90% of what I'm hearing. My theory and reasoning behind trying the Safari was, the more tones the better. More info. More tonal info. I thought with more tones, if it doesn't exactly sound like a perfect dime, it will sound MORE like a dime than foil or trash. And it turns out I was right. First time at the honey hole with the Safari I went straight to the trashy areas by some old stone bbq pits, and here came the wheaties. I was impressed. Then to the picnic pavilion and here came the silver. Then the indians. Then more silver. I pulled silver out of the same hole as rusty nails, and silver from underneath cigarette foil. They weren't deeper than the coins I had dug with the Pro, but they were strong, definite, dig me now because I'm something awesome tones. The vdi numbers on the safari are slow and not always accurate, but the tones almost never lie. Even when they do lie, they still mostly tell the truth. While I would have loved an Etrac or CTX, I couldn't afford one. But I could afford a used Safari and I could not be happier. AT Pro sits in the closet unless it's raining.

Very informative Luke, while I have been using the PRO successfully for over two years now, I am tempted to buy an Etrac for more depth.
Based on what you are saying here, for the price, I might just try a Safari.:yes:

My trash digs have gone waaaaay down. This morning I hunted a curb strip next to an elementary school originally built in 1894. School's newer now but sidewalk and curb strip remain untouched. Got 2 clad quarters, four clad pennies, 2 copper pennies, an old junk ring that has a little gold plate left, a Washington state tax token, 6 wheaties, a nice engraved sterling ring, 2 screw caps, a piece of copper wire, and a brass thingamabob. That's 17 good targets and 4 junk. After only about two months of weekend hunting with the Safari. All good targets could probably have been found with the Pro, but I can promise you trash finds would have outnumbered the good.

I hunt in coin and jewelry mode (conductive tones) that knocks out iron at -10 to 0 and I knock out 40 also as it's iron too.

Very informative Luke, while I have been using the PRO successfully for over two years now, I am tempted to buy an Etrac for more depth.
Based on what you are saying here, for the price, I might just try a Safari.:yes:

Hey if you can afford an Etrac then do it! The more info the better and there is a lot more info with an Etrac. That being said, the Safari is no slouch and I highly recommend it. Multi frequency without breaking the bank, and the tones are worth it. You can HEAR silver. You can HEAR copper. That's it, I'm going out detecting again!!!

I've owned my safari for about a year and a half now . from my experience this machine is a clad killer ,in all metals mode quarters ring in clearly. with time you get used to the tones .my issue is the vid numbers are limited with this machine ,silver will ring in at 38-39 range , other targets ring in that range also, large cans ,brass ,aluminum,. Small gold is elusive also on this machine found nothing but rings, I see on u tube videos how the etrac goes the extra mile with the fe co numbers to help further id targets, in hind site was probably my better bet, that being said a good machine with good depth capability. has paid for itself with lots of clad some silver and gold . If it rings as a high tone dig it ,try lifting your coil off the ground just a little if your still picking up a signal while your coil is a foot off the ground probably a large can or something other than coin :grin: hh

safari is a fine machine.

I had one for a short time this summer. I feel that the Etrac is lil better but the safari was just as deep seeking. I did dig more trash with it tho.

What's depth on one of these safaris I keep hearing about? Average used price?

Back
Top Bottom