First Silver Coin, wonderful surprise.

Venner

First silver this year and first with my new X-terra 705.

Based on local history books and some old maps, I was narrowing down a large wooded area trying to find what used to be a popular swimming beach from the late 1800s through the 1920s. It is all now forest (with some big trees!) right up to the water, but I found a promising section where the sloping soil suddenly changed to heavy loam with lots of small pebbles that I believe is the former beach.

After about 45 minutes, I'd retrieved a number of pull tabs tabs and a good score of old lead birdshot and was about to call it a night before it got too dark in the woods to see -- this was just a scouting expedition -- when I had a strong hit (at 44 on the VDI) on what was literally my last swing of the evening. I more or less had to saw into the very rooty soil, but was rewarded with this beautiful gem about 3 inches down.

I will definitely be going back for a thorough sweep after the holiday :D

1917D Walking Liberty Half:

Attachments

• 1917Half-O.jpg
    1917Half-O.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 560
  • 1917Half-R.jpg
    1917Half-R.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 567
Killer find! Nice detail too! What coil were you using?

This was with the Coiltek 'Digger', (6" DD @ 3khz). Takes a while to search a big area with it, but it's nice for getting through the underbrush and around trees. Hits very strong and steady on coins - sure gets your attention.

This was with the Coiltek 'Digger', (6" DD @ 3khz). Takes a while to search a big area with it, but it's nice for getting through the underbrush and around trees. Hits very strong and steady on coins - sure gets your attention.

That Digger coil is on my wish list. I use my 10 X 5 DD 18khz prospecting coil since the soil around here is very mineralized, and this is gold country!

That Digger coil is on my wish list. I use my 10 X 5 DD 18khz prospecting coil since the soil around here is very mineralized, and this is gold country!

We have the mineralized soil (the ground balance was reading 9 where I dug the Half!) but the gold around here is limited to a few tiny little flecks of flour gold that got pushed down by the glaciers during the last ice age...although I'm sure there could be placer deposits hiding somewhere.

My used 705 came with the 10x5 DD but haven't used that coil much, since I mostly want to find coins. The one day I tried it, I dug about 40 lead sinkers and pieces of split shot, haha. Thus I can't really give a helpful comparison yet other than to say that the Digger seems to be more decisive in letting you know what is iron junk and what isn't.

Walker is in great conditions, heck of a find, congrats. Regarding the coiltek have you noticed a difference/varience in the VDI number compared to the stock coil ? Meaning quarter still 42, dime 38-40 etc ?

Walker is in great conditions, heck of a find, congrats. Regarding the coiltek have you noticed a difference/varience in the VDI number compared to the stock coil ? Meaning quarter still 42, dime 38-40 etc ?

My 705 was the Gold Pack version with the 10x5 HF coil, and my only other coil is the LF Digger, so I can't actually say how much it differs from the stock coil, unfortunately. Between the HF and LF coils, there is a definite difference in the audio on the same target, but I haven't used the HF coil enough to quantify the number-shift in the VDI.

The one big thing with the LF Digger coil is that it is harder to identify nickels before digging. They peg at a solid 10 or 12, but it sounds/feels basically identical to some pulltabs with the same VDI.

Very Nice coin.

I am finding silver is a tricky bugger with no rhyme or reason to finding it... besides location. For me its always the last sweep or the first...and the few silvers I have found in my 3 months experience have been in the first 4" of soil. I am always looking for that deep signal and have to break out the backhoe when I hear it.... and none of the deep ones have been silver yet.

I can get a piece of clad at 7" move a few yards away and find a silver at 2"......................... how in the hell does that work?:?:

Back
Top Bottom