Headphones??? Benefits???

AZWIP

Elite Member
Howdy folks, ok, been hunting 3 or so years now... have never tried headphones... am mostly a night hunter, using Tesoros, Silver uMax, Compadre and Bandido II uMax... anyways... is there any real benefit to using headphones?

Other than the obvious, such as : no sounds for others to hear, drowns out outside noise... otherwise, am I missing good targets because I don't wear headphones? I can't fathom that being the case, but I know many folks wear 'em... do they really make a difference? I know some folks say... headphones let you hear some real faint signals that may not have been heard without them... is that true? I "think" I hear every little chirp out of my machines?

Also, I usually don't chase the real tiny faint hits, when I did in the past, they usually turned out to be small foil (tiny foil)...

Soooo, lol, all that to say, I'd love to hear from the "phones" guys... what I am missing?

Yup, 3 years later, still plenty to learn from you more experienced folks.

Thanks folks, appreciated ya'll sharing the advice, as always.

So.... why headphones? :?:

With headphones you can hear the signal more clearly without ambiance noise interfering. The tones will be more crisp and clear.

You will save batteries because you use less power when using head phones.

You also don't annoy others around you with the beeps and chirps if you are wearing headphones.

You "think" that you are hearing all of the nuances of the tones without headphones, but really you're not.

It's like listening to youtube vids on the computer. If I use headphones, everything is louder and a more crisp surround sound.

Howdy folks, ok, been hunting 3 or so years now... have never tried headphones... am mostly a night hunter, using Tesoros, Silver uMax, Compadre and Bandido II uMax... anyways... is there any real benefit to using headphones?

Other than the obvious, such as : no sounds for others to hear, drowns out outside noise... otherwise, am I missing good targets because I don't wear headphones? I can't fathom that being the case, but I know many folks wear 'em... do they really make a difference? I know some folks say... headphones let you hear some real faint signals that may not have been heard without them... is that true? I "think" I hear every little chirp out of my machines?

Also, I usually don't chase the real tiny faint hits, when I did in the past, they usually turned out to be small foil (tiny foil)...

Soooo, lol, all that to say, I'd love to hear from the "phones" guys... what I am missing?

Yup, 3 years later, still plenty to learn from you more experienced folks.

Thanks folks, appreciated ya'll sharing the advice, as always.

So.... why headphones? :?:

i use them so not to be a noise and so people around me are not bothered ,and you can pick up sounds you might not here , out of sound out of mind

I was doing the same thing you are. I also have a Tesoro silver umax and didn't use headphones for the first 4 years. I decided that I would see what I was missing and got a pair, then I won a set of Gray Ghost in a contest. I have to admit that I'm hearing more signals WITH the headphones. The deeper, smaller, ones. Yes, sometimes it turnes out to be junk, but most times it's coins 7-9 inches. Since that's silver range for my area in most cases, I'm happy to do that digging. Yes, they can be sweaty and get uncomfortable after awhile, but I'm happy I made the addition to my outfit. Good luck with whatever you decide. : )

Yes! Good answers! The small deviations I hear with headphones are night and day what I could hear with the stock speaker. I can much easier identify ‘clipped’ sounds, indicating junk, and the weaker signals that are still repeatable come through nice and clear.

Also, as they said, it doesn’t bother other park-goers which may not be a concern for you since you mostly night hunt.

I say pick up a cheap pair and see how ya like it; nothing to lose and only everything to gain. :D

Top Reasons For Using Headphones
1. Saves Batteries
2. Allows to hear beeps clearer
3. You look like a Pro

Top Reasons For Not Using Headphones
1. Can hurt head if not comfortable
2. Wire gets in the way/Wireless ones are poor performing

i must admit, the blamed headphones wire angers me at least once every outing. but still, i prefer headphones.

They help.

I'm a complete and total neophyte. I'm still reading the manual and playing in the backyard while committing everything to memory.

My first impressions using the headphones over the speaker, all the subtleties and nuances are immediately in your head where the sounds belong. Soft, gentle and fully formed.

When I use the speaker, there's no subtlety in which to guide my thinking. With the ear buds, everything my brain wants is right there for interpretation.

The ear buds allow me to hear everything as one would expect when listening to uncompressed music on a quality digital, headphone based sound system. The sounds now have meaning and come alive. I can feel the soul of what the sensor coil is picking up. On the other hand, the speaker, it allows me to hear nothing but, in my opinion, noise like a city street. All I get from the speaker is beeps, honks and jack hammer sounds.

The sounds from the ear buds are a pleasure, soft and gentle to the ears. The sounds from the speaker are harsh, grating and compressed. Again, I'm a total neophyte, still committing the X-Terra 705's manual to memory so my above comments are the first impressions of someone who has no experience other than what I've described in my above.

Based on my limited personal experience, I would not sally forth without ear buds attached. The headphones (Sun Ray Pro Gold) purchased with the metal detector, more than likely, will never be worn.

Hope my above helps.

(Using a Minelab, X-Terra 705 with Coiltek, 15", 3kHz WOT attached)

Sounds good

Ok, reckon I have to at least try this... next outing... will try either my headphones or the ear buds... I'll bring both lol and give it a whirl... could be interesting. Ya'll made some nice points. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

And reckon I'll dig a few of those "faint" small signals and see whats down there. Lol. Again thanks for the advice folks.

Ron

In parks it is kids..

Without headphones the sounds of a detector seem to sound better then an ice cream truck...

Also with headphones, you can pretend you can't hear them (kids), I'll pull my ear cup away and ask "what ?, sorry, I can't hear you with these on" Then they go away much quicker...

Also hunting near high traffic roads it is a must to be able to hear EVERY faint signal, unless you stop swinging and wait every time a loud truck or motorcycle drives by...

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom