GPS?

TerryEastTexas

Forum Supporter
I'm considering a hand held GPS. I don't want the bells and whistles just what in need to get where I want to go and go back to it. Any advice will be appreciated. :grin:

A lot of detectorists use GPS over here to record find locations.
I use a Garmin e-map, although the eTrex is a popular model,
and brightly coloured in case you drop it.
http://www.garmin.com/products/etrex/

The newer versions are better on battery usage too.

Careful if you buy a used GPS on Ebay from outside of your country. They are often set up for optimum performance in a particular country.
i.e Mine has a European default map set. Street maps can be upgraded.

If you want something to work in a vehicle, you'll need a device with a bigger screen. I dont know whats available in the US, but here the TomTom is very popular.

Re: GPS? GEKO 101, 201, 301

Terry 55 said:
I'm considering a hand held GPS. I don't want the bells and whistles just what in need to get where I want to go and go back to it. Any advice will be appreciated. :grin:

Just buy a Geko. Simple ! I have used a Geko 201 for about a year, before I had that other one, and it is a good little thing. Smaller then a cell phone so it is always there. No antenna, nothing can be broken if you are a little careful.

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium

I am also considering a GPS. After exploring the handhelds I decided that the best situation for me is to buy a PDA and link my "Earthmate" to it. This way I can upload to detailed maps in my Delorme Street Atlas program. I have a map file that I've been marking potential hunting spots as well as areas I am currently hunting. In this way, research is being catalogged to maps as well as the eventual recording of my movement during hunts. As for vehicle navigation, I have my laptop in my truck for any travel where directions are needed. The Street Atlas software allows for complete voice interaction with the navigation while driving. It will outclass anything that the auto makers are packaging in their vehicles and for a cost of about $150.00 for the GPS and Software. I have not yet decided on a PDA, I just need something with average memory and a color display. Any suggestions?

I am in geocaching since 2-3 years. So I have been using a handheld gps for 2-3 years, now.

All my clever friends on geocaching use a pda and they all say it is GREAT. It seems to be even more acurate then a handheld gps !

But they all agree on ONE very important disadvantage : the pda is very very fragile ! And it doesn't "like" rain, either...

Next to my Geko 201 I have been using a Garmin GPSmap 60CS and it is very good. But it is bigger, compared to the 201. I think that a gps, in combination with metal detecting, should be as small as possible.

What do you need it for ? Just to put you on the right spot to detect, I guess ?

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium www.geocaching.be www.geocaching.com

I have a Garmin Rino (radio/GPS) and one for my son. When I go out to the woods he comes along. All he has to do is key the mike and it sends his location to me.
I can also send waypoints, trails etc over the radio to him.

And after a hunt I will plug the gps into Google earth on my pc. I had initially purchased the GPS for my year vacation in Iraq. But now I use it for fun. :yes:

I will be looking for ghost towns that I get the coordinates through Topozone and Terra Server so what I'm looking for is one that I can put in the Lat. and Long. and then track to that point. So where does that put me in what I need to look for? I looked at a few handhelds but I don't know if they have this feature.

Do any of you have any recommendations with regards to accessories that would be needed for the Geko 201 that would be used for travel in a vehicle and while metal detecting afoot? The Geko 201 seems like a great waterproof GPS unit. Thanks everyone,,,H.H.:-)

Terry 55 said:
I will be looking for ghost towns that I get the coordinates through Topozone and Terra Server so what I'm looking for is one that I can put in the Lat. and Long. and then track to that point. So where does that put me in what I need to look for? I looked at a few handhelds but I don't know if they have this feature.

Terry,

What use would a gps have if it didn't show you where the destination is ? Besides, here in Belgium, there are a few stores were you can use a gps for a day or so. Maybe there is a small fee, I guess. But this gives you the chance to try one out. Of course, this stores offer this in the hope to SELL more gps units...

Maybe you can try one out, Terry ?

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium

Waterman said:
Do any of you have any recommendations with regards to accessories that would be needed for the Geko 201 that would be used for travel in a vehicle and while metal detecting afoot? The Geko 201 seems like a great waterproof GPS unit. Thanks everyone,,,H.H.:-)

I only have ONE "accessoire" on my Geko 201 : a clip to fasten it to the handlebars of my MTB...

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium

My particular useage would be in the LARGE hunt sites, catalogging the areas covered. I have a 1200 acre preserve that has large fields and woods with a lot of history from early 1700's thru 1870. I also have locations of non existant villages and such plotted on my Street Atlas maps in quite a few areas in the surrounding counties and such, targeted for future detecting. When I go into the bush, I have a backpack with me, so the PDA / Earthmate would not be a problem. I never had a use for a PDA, so my knowledge is limited. I just don't know which one to get. This setup would give me almost unlimited workability when interfaced with my Street Atlas maps on either of my computers. I can also integrate Google Earth. If I spend about $250 for a PDA, I think I'll have a pretty versatile setup as opposed to just a hand held GPS

Terry 55 said:
Bob I'll be detecting in the thick forest which makes it hard to get back to a specific location.

I think you'll have a job to get a GPS working in a thick forest, unless you can find a clear area.

Dumb Question of the Day

I located a ghost town Sunday and took GPS reading, my First, are gps numbers the same as LONG LAT, or are they diff. in some ways? I guess what I am asking can I take my north and west numbers and put them in terra server and get topo's or sat. pics or do i need to convert my numbers, i though i read some where that gps cor. are not the same as long lat, HELP PLEASE
Thanks Greg

Terry 55 said:
Bob I'll be detecting in the thick forest which makes it hard to get back to a specific location.

YES, I agree : thàt IS a problem, Terry !

BOB VALDEZ

Re: Dumb Question of the Day

gcollins said:
I located a ghost town Sunday and took GPS reading, my First, are gps numbers the same as LONG LAT, or are they diff. in some ways? I guess what I am asking can I take my north and west numbers and put them in terra server and get topo's or sat. pics or do i need to convert my numbers, i though i read some where that gps cor. are not the same as long lat, HELP PLEASE
Thanks Greg

gcollins,

I have been using my handheld gps unit for about 3 years but I am a REAL amateur. Maybe this link will help you :

http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium

Re: Dumb Question of the Day

gcollins said:
Thanks Greg
I'm not exactly sure of your question Greg. I don't use lat/long, but the UK national grid. The UK is divided into 10km squares, each with a two letter code. Then these squares are divided again. So a coordinate bring you down to within a couple of yards of your location. ie TQ 694 683.

Your GPS may have other options for the display, I don't know if the US have their own system ?

i use a Garmin Legend C.You can find good deals on them on Ebay.I also geocache so this GPS is a blessing!Good luck in your search :D

Garmin Etrex

I most likely didn't explain what I was asking. I went to this ghost town location, I took a GPS reading and wrote it down, i went home, went to terra server and put in my numbers, I had no luck minding a match, so then I searched a topo map of the closest town and mapped mile for mile untill I came upon my site, I then zoomed in on it, and the numbers weren't close to what I got from my GPS, I have never used it before and know that I need to study it better, i was just hopeing someone could tell me in plain english, what I might have been doing wrong. My GPS gives a north, and west, when terra server ask for long and lat, I played with the north west, and figured out what was long and what was lat. I was just hoping for some advice.
Thanks Greg

Greg I've had a similar experiance with different coordinates when going from TopoZone to TerraServer looking for a small town. :?:

Back
Top Bottom