Another Interesting Token. UPDATED cleaning.

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
This was deep in a curbstrip. Never seen one before. I like silver, but I'll take a cool token anyday! Some sort of railroad or bus fare token. Thanks for looking. HH.

Updated: I really went aggressive on cleaning this token. I usually like the "just from the ground" look, but I went crazy on this one. Haha. I like how it turned out!

Attachments

• 20180904_181531_resized.jpg
    20180904_181531_resized.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 355
  • 20180904_181542_resized.jpg
    20180904_181542_resized.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 413
  • 20180904_222116_resized.jpg
    20180904_222116_resized.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 323
  • 20180904_222125_resized.jpg
    20180904_222125_resized.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
I agree. I love tokens.

I’ve found several similar ones for the Jacksonville Bus Transit that are circa 1920-1930. Yesterday I found my third one for the Jacksonville School Buses. Surprised students had to pay to ride a school bus.

Looks great, I like silver as well but unless it's a key date I'll take an old token over silver any day of the week. Something about the history of those tokens really interest me especially when you can trace them back to the business that once had them.

Same here! I’d take a cool token anyway that one is certainly cool!

That's one good looking token!

I agree. I love tokens.

I’ve found several similar ones for the Jacksonville Bus Transit that are circa 1920-1930. Yesterday I found my third one for the Jacksonville School Buses. Surprised students had to pay to ride a school bus.

nice cleaning job, I say its a bus token, cooooool find.

Looks great, I like silver as well but unless it's a key date I'll take an old token over silver any day of the week. Something about the history of those tokens really interest me especially when you can trace them back to the business that once had them.

Thanks guys! I really get a kick out of old tokens. Believe it or not, but I cleaned this token up with about an hour in Tabasco sauce, then rubbed it with baking soda paste.

Dude that token is awesome, beautiful design 🤩

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

That's an old Trolley token from the mid-late 1930s. Cool piece of history. The Salt Lake Trolley system was used for a long time. Ever been to Trolley Square shopping mall? It's not a huge mall, but I enjoyed the history, every time I went...
http://www.trolleysquare.com/

Love finding old tokens.

Great job cleaning it. I've never heard of Tabasco sauce being used to clean them. Will have to give it a try.

I've only ever found Chucky Cheese tokens, but I know enough to know what a fantastic token looks like - congratulations! I looked around and those tokens were used from the 1940s through 1960s. Some sites are selling them from $6 to $10. Great find and even better cleaning job!

Awesome token, SW - and thanks for posting the after-cleaning shots! I don’t think I’ve seen any pictures of tokens cleaned using this method before - I’ve only seen people writing about it. Pretty impressive results!

Stiffwrists... I have a four volume set of very detailed information on transportation tokens titled "Atwood's Catalogue of United States and Canadian Transportation Tokens" published by the American Vecturist Association. The Editor was John M. Coffee. I think he was a minister in Boston. My set is from the 1970's.

There is an alphabetical and photographic listing of tokens, by state. Under UTAH, I see that the Salt Lake City variety with a beehive design had several versions, all with a design number beginning with 750 and then the letters A thru O. The beehive type appear to be from the late 1930's to the early 1940's In the 1970's the collector value of all the varieties was pegged at 15 cents. My reference books also gives a history of each transit company, when they were in business, who they merged with, sometimes how many miles of trolley line they operated and how many tokens of various types were minted and when.

Check out the web site for the American Vecturist Association at http://www.vecturist.com/. They have a member publication titled "The Fare Box"

Jim

Stiffwrists... I have a four volume set of very detailed information on transportation tokens titled "Atwood's Catalogue of United States and Canadian Transportation Tokens" published by the American Vecturist Association. The Editor was John M. Coffee. I think he was a minister in Boston. My set is from the 1970's.

There is an alphabetical and photographic listing of tokens, by state. Under UTAH, I see that the Salt Lake City variety with a beehive design had several versions, all with a design number beginning with 750 and then the letters A thru O. The beehive type appear to be from the late 1930's to the early 1940's In the 1970's the collector value of all the varieties was pegged at 15 cents. My reference books also gives a history of each transit company, when they were in business, who they merged with, sometimes how many miles of trolley line they operated and how many tokens of various types were minted and when.

Check out the web site for the American Vecturist Association at http://www.vecturist.com/. They have a member publication titled "The Fare Box"

Jim

Thanks Jim. I appreciate the research!

Back
Top Bottom