BH Platinum or F44 or F5 ?

Gn00b

Hello again everyone.

I'm just getting into the research and selection process...I'm about waist-deep now I think.

From those websites I've visited that offer some selection guidance, I've collated the following questions and answers:

1. What is it You Want to Find?
> Jewelry (includes rings);
> Coins;
> Relics, artifacts, antiques.
2. Where Will You be Metal Detecting Most of Your Time?
> Beaches (dry sand)(only 9 miles from home);
> Parks, soccer/baseball/football fields and the likes.
3. How Often Will You be Detecting?
> At least once a week, probably not more than three times a week.
4. How Much Experience do You Have?
> Zilch.
5. How Much do You Want to Spend?
> $350.00 is my initial maximum drive-out including necessary essentials, taxes and shipping. Not a dime more. After a couple of months there may be more funds available.

Based on features and reviews I've seen to date, I am gravitating towards the BH Platinum, but the F44 and F5 are looking very good although if I choose the F44 or F5 I'll have to give up a fancy finds bag (based on bonus packages and pricing at metaldetector.com)(metaldetector.com will also throw in a free pinpointer (BH branded I believe) which I am sure is better than no pinpointer at all).

I am convinced that manual ground balance is essential for my use. Weatherproof is nice and all I'm sure but I don't consider it essential.

What might you choose, and why?

With that budget, you're very limited....but that's OK...you can still get a decent machine for that.

One thing I'd definitely splurge on is a pinpointer. The Garrett Pro Pointer AT is excellent...although it costs ~127 new...You could take your chances with the chinese knockoffs of the Garrett, but know the risk of that. I'd say that they're likely better than the BH pointer you'd be getting in the package deal, but I don't like counterfeits. You could also go with the standard Garrett PP, but they're not that much cheaper new.

I'm a huge fan of Garrett machines...the Ace 400 would meet what you need IMHO...even the Ace 300 would suffice to get you into the sport, and would leave you almost enough for the pro pointer AT...

If you send a PM to the sponsors here, they'll cut you a deal on your equipment.

I also have a Fisher, and they're wonderful machines...my F2 was the first detector I got (other than the toys), and I was very happy with it until I upgraded to the 250 and my AT Pro...now I don't use it...but that doesn't mean that it's not a good machine.

You could also look into used machines...great deals can be had, again you'd have to weigh the potential risks of buying a used machine.

Back
Top Bottom