Confederate Button in NJ??

Good Luck Jack

I found this the other day at an old farm field, near an old creek. Unfortunately the shank is missing and when I dug it up, I initially thought it was a shotgun shell. When I popped it over and saw the "I" I couldn't believe it. A confederate button in south Jersey??? I'm still shocked. 8 inches down. I've found a lot of interesting and eye popping items but this is probably my favorite...and of course I can't flip the picture around...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 792
Any makers mark?

You'll have to check in with someone who knows them well because I can tell you there is British buttons that exist that look like that and have nothing to do with the Civil War.

The extreme southern point of NJ is technically below the Mason-Dixon, just ask some locals ;)

Do you have a picture of the back? Likely English manufacture. Here is your picture with proper orientation.

Attachments

• attachment.php.jpeg
    attachment.php.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 595
Very cool find...i believe i read about one of the pow prisons was actually on an island in the delaware river i think in the salem county area somewheres near the present day nuclear plant...

Back
Top Bottom