Detector pro headphones not working with etrac

Mountain Mike

Elite Member
I just got a pair of gray ghost ultimates from another member. When I use them with the etrac I can only hear anything with the 2 highest settings even then the highest is to high and one down is to low. The sound is not good either it sounds tinny. The iron sounds are much deeper with the stock phones too. When my buddy puts them on his Tesoro the sound perfect and you have the push the button to lessen the sound. Whats the deal with the etrac? Anyone got some insight?

Detector pro said that the etrac has sound limiting technology and the headphones do also. I guess these two are working against each other. But it also seems I am the only person this is happening to by the lack of comments. HMMM. anyone who has an etrac and GG ultimates PM me so I can ask some specific questions. Thanks

A lot of people don't like them but I always used the Koss phones that came with it. They were comfortable and sounded good to me. Hope you get your GG working.

Did you flick the compatibility switch on the ear muff? My GG Originals work fine on my E-trac.

Yes I am familiar with both switches. The first switch just goes between the two channels. I would not hear anything if I were on the wrong channel. The second switch is the volume limiter needed for certain detectors as they can be to loud even at the lowest volume level. In my case this switch makes no difference as both sound the same.

Yes I am familiar with both switches. The first switch just goes between the two channels. I would not hear anything if I were on the wrong channel. The second switch is the volume limiter needed for certain detectors as they can be to loud even at the lowest volume level. In my case this switch makes no difference as both sound the same.

Hmm Not sure then, I just had mine out a few hours ago and it was working fine with the GG's.

The stereo/mono switch also called the compatibility switch might not be working, to check have your friend try it on his Tesero again, the sound should work with the switch in one position and not the other. It might be stuck in the setting that works on the Tesoro and not the Etrac . If you find this is the case it is an easy fix, just replace the switch with a small SPDT switch.

Not sure. Used the GG's and they died in less than a year, before that they were ok. Switched to Sunray ProGold, love 'em!

Anybody wanna trade? I need a more basic headphone without the volume limiter. I will be happy to send these to whoever first so they can try them. They work great on other detectors.

I know I love the Koss headphones that came with my E trac. Try to find a pair of thise. You should be able to sell the gray Ghost ones and get the Koss and have a little $ left over.

Anybody wanna trade? I need a more basic headphone without the volume limiter. I will be happy to send these to whoever first so they can try them. They work great on other detectors.
If you decide to keep them I would be more than happy to change the sprealers to 600 ohm and wiring them up without the limiter. The last set of phones that I made a fella that had an Explorer bought them and told me they were the best sounding phones that he has ever used, he told me that it made his Explorer come alive.

If you decide to keep them I would be more than happy to change the sprealers to 600 ohm and wiring them up without the limiter. The last set of phones that I made a fella that had an Explorer bought them and told me they were the best sounding phones that he has ever used, he told me that it made his Explorer come alive.

I would go this route, the GG have an awesome fit, and build, just have ski do his mods and you will be good to go.

I just got a pair of gray ghost ultimates from another member. When I use them with the etrac I can only hear anything with the 2 highest settings even then the highest is to high and one down is to low. The sound is not good either it sounds tinny. The iron sounds are much deeper with the stock phones too. When my buddy puts them on his Tesoro the sound perfect and you have the push the button to lessen the sound. Whats the deal with the etrac? Anyone got some insight?
The fella I made the headphones for is on another forum I will see if I can find him and ask him why he likes them so well on his Etrac. MY guess is the 600 ohm speakers I use makes the tones nice & mellow. Will get back with you if I find out anything. Steve.

Sent you a PM. Who knew that someone here would be an expert on headphones and able to mod them. Love this forum!

Sent you a PM. Who knew that someone here would be an expert on headphones and able to mod them. Love this forum!
I wouldn't say that I am an expert on headphones in real life I just play one on the forum, lol. Building & repairing headphones is a hobby to me I just love doing it and glad anytime that I can help someone out. I received your pm and replied to it. Thanks.

We should have a members services section.
That sounds like a good idea. Every once in awhile I make a post tellin folks that I am happy to repair their headphones, or even build a set from time to time, this forum is good about it, some of the other forums see it as me trying to make $$$ instead of seeing it as me trying to help someone out. I get alot out of the forums and it is my way to give back alittle, if someone wants to give me a few bucks for doing whatever I do for them fine but I only ask for the person to cover parts (if any are needed) and return shipping.

That sounds like a good idea. Every once in awhile I make a post tellin folks that I am happy to repair their headphones, or even build a set from time to time, this forum is good about it, some of the other forums see it as me trying to make $$$ instead of seeing it as me trying to help someone out. I get alot out of the forums and it is my way to give back alittle, if someone wants to give me a few bucks for doing whatever I do for them fine but I only ask for the person to cover parts (if any are needed) and return shipping.

Yeah it could be various services that members could offer to other members at discounted prices. I'm sure people on here have various occupations, and trades (detecting and non-detecting related) that they'd be willing to offer at discount to members. It's a win win.

Back
Top Bottom