XP Deus

GetDiggin

Forum Supporter
Hi all!

I was using my F75 for a lot of my Metal Detecting history (did use many many others tho, all 3 Xterra's, Safari, Ace 250, AT Pro, Compadre), but I wanted to get into the upper high end machines so I moved to the v3i. My doctor said that detecting was taking a toll on my back and hip and suggested I get a lighter detector, I was bummer and ended up selling my v3i and gave the hobby up for the remaining of 2014. BUT, my Dad just told me he has a XP Deus on layaway for me and it will be here by the beginning of detecting season 2015 so I am SUPER excited. It is the ws5 package. I get the choice of 9" or 11". I have the Andy Sabisch book coming but dont have it yet. I was wondering what coil I should go with? the 9 or 11 inch? also are there any "must watch" videos on the Deus. The v3i has a large learning curve but was fairly easy for me to pick up on, but the Deus kinda is daunting to me lol.

Thanks for any info.
Rich

I would start out with the 9 first and run it at 7.5 to help u understand the machine

Congrats, that's the only downside on the V3i, it is heavier than most detectors, however it's a great machine in all other aspects. The Deus looks really nice as well, I've never used one, but if I was buying one, I'd get the 11in coil, which is the standard for most top end detectors now-a-days. Years ago everything came stock with an 8in, but I guess with faster recoveries, etc. they could go with 11in coils on today's top of the line detectors. I'd only go 9in if you hunt trashy sites all the time. If you can understand the V3i, the Deus should be pretty simple. Good move getting the WS5 package.

I would start out with the 9 first and run it at 7.5 to help u understand the machine

I was leaning towards the 9" only because I was thinking about getting the 13" down the road, at the price of these coils its gonna have to wait awhile but figure the 9" would work fine until then and then when I am able to get the 13" then I will have the smallest available for it and the largest. But I am still torn because the 11" would probably be most practical for me over all, but then if I get the 13" I would rather have the 9" to pair with it lol, on the fence for sure.

Thanks,
Rich

I would get the 9in if I were you. I have it and it is great. Friend has the 11in and wishes he had gotten the 9. When we go to open fields I can still go and detect but when we go to places with lots of overgrowth and bushes and such he struggles hard cause of the size of it. I can go in between bushes and around foliage so much easier than he can. The 9in is also very deep, haven't seen much of a difference between the two and we have compared lots of targets. Not saying the 11 isn't a tad deeper but for what we have seen the 9 hits it all anyway.

Another question I have is, how long does the charge last? Also if I fully charged it and it sat for 2 weeks, would it stay fully charged when I go to use it or will it lose a bit? That is the really only thing that scares me a bit (besides the learning curve). I just am the kind of person who always likes to be prepared, like I would always have extra double A batteries for my v3i or have an extra battery pack, etc.

Thanks,
Rich

I say go 9". The Deus with a the 9" is simple a dream to swing.

As far as the battery I charge mine and let it set for a long time and still have full charge. The advantage of LiPo batteries.

11"coil is newer technology goes deeper and target separation is good.

My .02 worth of advice!

I was wondering if anyone could give me a little bit of a run down on how the "Up Keep" of this machine works, and how easy it is to maintain? Seeing I still have not actually been able to use my Deus yet, I am trying to get my experience as high as possible and learn it as much as possible so when I am actually able to get out with it when the weather is good I will be a step ahead. Seeing the detector is pricey and my Dad and I have a limited income, my Dad has it on layaway and slowly paying it off until weather is nice enough to get out with our detectors, which is fine with me hehe to cold to hunt here in Michigan anyways. I ordered Andys book for it already, but it hasnt arrived yet and I have a couple more questions. I mentioned a couple posts ago about the battery. How exactly does the whole charging thing work? I know from watching some videos that its possible to charge all 3 units at the same time which is great, but how long does it take to fully charge? do the units hold a charge well? IE: if I charge all 3 units and let them sit for 2 weeks and want to go on a hunt can I just grab them and go, or would I need to give them a recharge? Also how long exactly does everything work until needing a recharge? Also are they removable batteries where I can keep "extras" of them for emergency battery switches? or if it has a battery die in the field I am basically S.O.L.?

Another question I have is, does anyone know where I can buy a better arm holster? I see the holster that the water package I am getting has the arm holster, but I am not a fan of how it sits on the arm, it seems like it sits in parallel with your arm, I would much rather have it sit perpendicular, much more like reading a watch, does anyone know if there is a arm holster similar to that available anywhere?

Also does anyone know a video that really goes into depth of the screen, functions, etc.? Bart, thank you for posting GH videos, I do enjoy watching GH videos but he only goes into details of the actual detector functions just a couple times, I am really hoping there is a video that goes over everything in a bit more detail. I am Dyslexic, ADHD and have mild OCD, so although I do have Andy's book on the way, I have always been the type of person who needs hands on learning or at least visual learning and would really benefit from seeing people explain it in a video, etc. I am still a bit confused about the whole horseshoe thing on the screen, and just making sure I learn everything to get the most out of the detector, we spend the money on these high end detectors to get a better advantage of finding the goodies, I just want to make sure I know, understand, and can correctly take advantage of everything the detector has to offer.

Thanks everyone,
Rich

11"coil is newer technology

HUH? I don't think so. And deeper is a matter of conditions. The 11" also has to deal with more ground than the 9" so in heavy mineralized ground the 9" would have the depth advantage. The 11" does have great separation, for an 11" coil.

Rich, the batteries in the Deus are not made to be removed for storage only in case they need replaced. You can charge all 3 at the same time. Generally mine will last a good 8-10 hours before I charge them. The control module will cycle through the charge on the coil, control module and the headphones have a battery charge display as well. I let mine sit for quite a bit and most of the time the charge is fine when I'm ready to go hunt. The Deus uses LiPo batteries which don't need near the care the older NiCad's did. For long-term storage it is suggested you store them at 80% capacity.

I go to YouTube and do a search for XP Deus and you should find a few showing more details on setting it up and using the controls. Sorry I'm at work and don't have access to YouTube to point you directly to any.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a little bit of a run down on how the "Up Keep" of this machine works, and how easy it is to maintain? Seeing I still have not actually been able to use my Deus yet, I am trying to get my experience as high as possible and learn it as much as possible so when I am actually able to get out with it when the weather is good I will be a step ahead. Seeing the detector is pricey and my Dad and I have a limited income, my Dad has it on layaway and slowly paying it off until weather is nice enough to get out with our detectors, which is fine with me hehe to cold to hunt here in Michigan anyways. I ordered Andys book for it already, but it hasnt arrived yet and I have a couple more questions. I mentioned a couple posts ago about the battery. How exactly does the whole charging thing work? I know from watching some videos that its possible to charge all 3 units at the same time which is great, but how long does it take to fully charge? do the units hold a charge well? IE: if I charge all 3 units and let them sit for 2 weeks and want to go on a hunt can I just grab them and go, or would I need to give them a recharge? Also how long exactly does everything work until needing a recharge? Also are they removable batteries where I can keep "extras" of them for emergency battery switches? or if it has a battery die in the field I am basically S.O.L.?

Another question I have is, does anyone know where I can buy a better arm holster? I see the holster that the water package I am getting has the arm holster, but I am not a fan of how it sits on the arm, it seems like it sits in parallel with your arm, I would much rather have it sit perpendicular, much more like reading a watch, does anyone know if there is a arm holster similar to that available anywhere?

Also does anyone know a video that really goes into depth of the screen, functions, etc.? Bart, thank you for posting GH videos, I do enjoy watching GH videos but he only goes into details of the actual detector functions just a couple times, I am really hoping there is a video that goes over everything in a bit more detail. I am Dyslexic, ADHD and have mild OCD, so although I do have Andy's book on the way, I have always been the type of person who needs hands on learning or at least visual learning and would really benefit from seeing people explain it in a video, etc. I am still a bit confused about the whole horseshoe thing on the screen, and just making sure I learn everything to get the most out of the detector, we spend the money on these high end detectors to get a better advantage of finding the goodies, I just want to make sure I know, understand, and can correctly take advantage of everything the detector has to offer.

Thanks everyone,
Rich

Rich,

4-5 hours when fully charged. Watch the lights to change solid when done. I get 10-12 hours on a charge. Get aa car charger. A quick run to get a pop and a 30 minute charge will get you several hours of more swing time. Never had that happen to me btw. The batteries are excellent.

Do some air testing with the horse shoe. You will see the right side is a non ferrous depth gauge and left side is iron depth gauge.

Dont get caught up on the display much. The audio is what you need to learn first. Cant stress this enough. Audio usually tells me all I need to know.

Dont get caught up on the display much. The audio is what you need to learn first. Cant stress this enough. Audio usually tells me all I need to know.

Hi Bart,
Thanks for the reply. Are you talking like listening for the tone or listening for like a certain sound to the bleep? Like I know on my F75 on bottle caps it use to give the slightest crackle or split beep and with a coin you would get a nice solid beep, it was very subtle but after using the machine for awhile you could definitely tell, but really I usually still want to dig it up no matter what, because if the coin is at a certain angle while on edge it would give that same crackle in the tone hehe, so it was always hard for me to pass on some of them. I am trying to learning as much as I can from watching videos, etc.

Thanks again,
Rich

If you plan on getting the 13" down the road than get the 9" otherwise, get the 11". You have to remember, the Deus has SUPERIOR target separation. The 11" coil separates better than most detectors do that have an 8" coil. I have heard that XP may be developing a 7" coil soon; if they do I will most certainly get it. I only run the 11" coil and I have no problem finding coins in high trash areas. A 7" coil would be AWESOME!

I have Andy's book and it's very informative. I also run one of the programs he recommended religiously and have very good luck with it.

Hi Bart,
Thanks for the reply. Are you talking like listening for the tone or listening for like a certain sound to the bleep? Like I know on my F75 on bottle caps it use to give the slightest crackle or split beep and with a coin you would get a nice solid beep, it was very subtle but after using the machine for awhile you could definitely tell, but really I usually still want to dig it up no matter what, because if the coin is at a certain angle while on edge it would give that same crackle in the tone hehe, so it was always hard for me to pass on some of them. I am trying to learning as much as I can from watching videos, etc.

Thanks again,
Rich

Regarding bottle caps, the Deus does love bottle caps, the only way to identify them in my opinion is the audio. they scratch at the beginning and end of the high tone.

Regarding bottle caps, the Deus does love bottle caps, the only way to identify them in my opinion is the audio.

Also helpful is the dual programs with different frequencies. Just copy your favorite program to the next slot and drop the frequency to 4 kHz. Then when you get a signal you think might be a bottle cap just use the + or - button to switch to the program with the 4 kHz and watch to see what the numbers do. If the numbers drop chances are good its a good target. If the number rise it is more than likely a bottle cap.

Back
Top Bottom