Garrett At Pro OR AT Gold ?

ps249

I have been considering these 2 detectors. I did some research and it seems the AT GOld beats the AT Pro on depth and capabilities.
I live in Michigan so salt water is a non issue. I would like a waterproof machine for surf/beach hunting as well as land hunting.My only question is will the AT Gold do as well on all US coins as the at pro?
There is no natural forming gold in my area so prospecting is NOT an issue. Im sure this question has come up before but I want to take my geographic location into consideration.
The extra $100 for the at gold is not a problem for me. However, if I purchase the at gold I will have to also purchase the larger coil that is on the at pro.
Whats your opinion on my situation?

Although the differences between the two might be small, they can have a profound effect. I would choose the Gold over the Pro if I really wanted to maximize the depth and small target capabilities. However, if you're only going to coin shoot then either will work. If you get the Pro then it's suggested you also get the 5x8 coil, so either way you'll be buying extra stuff. Either detector should do you just fine though. Good luck with your decision.

90% of ATP owners purchase the smaller coil so if you buy the gold, I wouldnt waste the money on the larger coil. Odds are you can buy one used for cheap off of an ATP owner. I love my ATP but have never swung a gold. would love to try one out but unfortunaltely I live in a dead zone when it comes to detector stores.

Unless you have the money it would be good to get both. Otherwise its like choosing between pepsi or coke.

The gold has some advantages over the pro for prospecting , those advantages can also cross over to other types of detecting but from what I understand only under certain conditions. The advantages the pro has over the gold make it a better suited detector for coins or general purpose detecting. I think they should have incorporated the best of both into one model , skip the redundant standard mode and just have the pro mode and gold mode on the same detector. In a lot of ways both are so similar that you would probably be happy with either one. Since I dont prospect or relic hunt with my detector I have not yet missed the true all metal or threshold options that the gold has to offer , I dont need them. Just depends on what you want to do with it or may want to do with it in the future.

I had the AT Gold. I mainly relic hunt and noticed a few things. The Gold hits great on brass, like buttons and casings. It seems to be confused on rusty iron a bit more than other units I had.

I traded it in for a T2 SE but for some reason, I want to try out an AT Pro. One of the things I love about this hobby, is that I like trying out new units (not always in an upward scale).

Here is a bit of help. Please holler with more questions. Be glad to personally help you!

http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/blog/garrett-at-pro-and-garrett-at-gold-what-is-the-difference/

Nice write up, having both machines I agree with what is said here.

I would add that the At Pro has notch discrimination function where as the AT Gold is preset, discrim 1 (nothing notched out, tone ID,tone roll) and discrim 2 (notched for coin hunting, tone ID, tone roll). I don't discriminate but it should be mentioned...perhaps with better wording than mine :lol:

I have recently been over a small area of ground with the ATG in all metal mode that I have been over multiple times with the ATP and pulled buttons that were missed with the ATP.

Last edited:
This is a real good thread. I have the ATP and I love the machine. Prospecting here in N.lower Mich. is not a real option so the ATP is just fine for my needs. I would like to try the AT Gold just once to see the difference though.;)

Nice write up, having both machines I agree with what is said here.

I would add that the At Pro has notch discrimination function where as the AT Gold is preset descrim 1 (nothing notched out) and descrim 2 (notched for coin hunting). I don't discriminate but it should be mentioned...perhaps with better wording than mine :lol:

I have recently been over a small area of ground with the ATG in all metal mode that I have been over multiple times with the ATP and pulled buttons that were missed with the ATP.

Thank you Sir! The Garrett AT GOLD is for sure hotter on the lower conductors like buttons.

This is a real good thread. I have the ATP and I love the machine. Prospecting here in N.lower Mich. is not a real option so the ATP is just fine for my needs. I would like to try the AT Gold just once to see the difference though.;)

I do not prospect either, I primarily relic hunt for which the ATG seems well suited but no complaints about the ATP here either.

Back
Top Bottom