I wouldn't believe it had I not dug it myself

Outstanding. As a long time military collector I can appreciate your find.
I really really doubt if it was chucked back in the hole because of a missing/broken part.
More than likely the OD [original digger] got frustrated after 8 inches or so, didn't have a hand held pinpointer [which would have alerted them to the near presence of metal], was running late and/or had previous engagements to attend to, and simply walked away.
I have unfinished holes in my fields [I fill them back up, but they are usually still recognizable, and I remember my previous encounters with them].
Some I have written off after discovering some rusted metal plate or pipe that I don't feel like dredging out of the ground.
Some, I still have not found what is causing the alert, and may redig in the future [unless someone beats me to it].

Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragement. I'm still gloating over finding it. Just like wishing that items could talk and tell you their history, I wish I knew the story about that almost being discovered and left behind. I know for a fact that it wasn't put back due to the proken clip on the back. The bottom of the hole was untouched, packed dirt. I can't imagine what the poor soul would do who left it there if he knew what came out of that hole.

From other sites that I have seen relics for sale, I believe that its current value is between 200-400 dollars. I don't care if it was worth 20 grand though, I wouldn't sell it. After finding something like this, it blows my mind that people are selling stuff like this and even better finds that they have personally dug up. They must have no interest in history and are in it only for a quick buck.

Dont you love finding Civil War artifacts! Ive found em here in Indiana. Not a buckel but buttons. Super finds!

Tater. where in IN are you? I'm in Fort Wayne.

Bear...I understand how you feel. I only told you about the other belt plate so you'd know you really have a valuable piece there. Might want to insure it. I recently found an 1860 campaign token with Stephen A. Douglas on front with 1860 on it, and Herschel V. Johnson on the back, with date. He was Douglas's running mate when Douglas ran against Lincoln. I researched it on internet, and was so pleased with my treasure. I would not sell it, either, because of the historic value of it. I may, however, donate it to the Lincoln Museum here in Ft. Wayne.

Scrltt641

Scritt641 I live in Farmland. 12 miles east of Muncie. Randolph County. I have a book called The History of Randolph County. It was wrote in 1882. There are maps of all the homesteads in 1882. Its easy to find the places and in late fall and early spring the farmers are more than willing to let you hunt. Have found baggies of old coins that way and this is my 1st year huntin!

Scrltt641 said:
Tater. where in IN are you?  I'm in Fort Wayne.

Bear...I understand how you feel.  I only told you about the other belt plate so you'd know you really have a valuable piece there.  Might want to insure it.  I recently found an 1860 campaign token with Stephen A. Douglas on front with 1860 on it, and Herschel V. Johnson on the back, with date.  He was Douglas's running mate when Douglas ran against Lincoln.  I researched it on internet, and was so pleased with my treasure.  I would not sell it, either, because of the historic value of it.  I may, however, donate it to the Lincoln Museum here in Ft. Wayne.

Scrltt641

I think it would be awesome to find a presidential campaign token, especially for older presidents like that. Hope I can find one someday. Thanks for the comments on the buckle. Seeing as how its only worth 2-400 bucks though, I doubt I'll insure it. Not unless the insurance company could actually replace the item itself. That would be cool. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom