Digging tools

willys48

Whats your favorite digging tool. I am using a fiskars trowel, it works ok except for roots and hard ground. I just pick up a bulb planter today, not sure how good it will be but for .99 I will give it a try. Thanks Steve

I use a Lesche digging tool; it looks kinda like a survival knife. It has serrated edge good for cutting turf & roots, point that pierces turf well, and heavy weight metal that won't bend. A lot of people think it looks too much like a knife, but I don't go waving it around like Rambo. It's one heavy duty unit, goes for about $39 new, but will last a lifetime. Those "coin poppers" make me nervous, I'd hate to wedge a nice gold ring out of the ground with it and have it end up bent or ruined. I like to cut a flap, dig the dirt, get the find, replace the dirt, stomp on the flap of turf ... and begone. Just my 2 cents.

I also use the Lesche but my favorite is a Buck hunting knife that has a heavy 6"x2" blade. It cuts cleaner plug in lawn grass. But Idon't use it around parks and schools. I keep getting mistaken for Rambo. :lol:

I'm going to get the Lesche digging tool. I looked at one at my dealers shop and they are really heavy duty. Besides If I don't buy one i'm going to have to buy stock in a garden trowel company. :lol:

My tools of the trade.

tools.jpg

I've been using a long screwdriver and a Fiskar's trowel. I snapped the trowel in two yesterday, dang it, so I bought a ten-dollar replacement. If it doesn't last I'm going to spend $39 on the Lesche digging tool!

willys48 said:
Whats your favorite digging tool. I am using a fiskars trowel, it works ok except for roots and hard ground. I just pick up a bulb planter today, not sure how good it will be but for .99 I will give it a try. Thanks Steve

STEVE.......I FIND THAT THE LESCHE DIGGING KNIFE WORKS GREAT. IT IS GREAT FOR CUTTING PLUGS IN GRASS.USUALLY SELLS FOR AROUND 39.95. I ALSO USE A THING CALLED A COINDIGGER FROM NW TREASURE SUPPLY IN WASHINGTON STATE.

ONE THING I NEVER SEE ANYBODY ELSE USE IS A SMALL RUBBER GARDEN KNEELER TO KNEEL ON IN WET OR DAMP GRASS. I LIVE I OREGON AND THE KNEELER KEEPS MY KNEES DRY WHEN DIGGING UP TARGETS

MAC IN EUGENE,OREGON

I started with a kneeler, but switched to knee pads with hard plastic caps. One less thing to juggle and the hard caps provide a little more protection from the sharp pointy things.

Check out the EZ Digger.I have one.You can find the site on ebay where the detectors are listed.I got both shafts.Stainless steel with narrow and wider digging spade points.It also has a ball that will fit over the shaft so you can use it as a fulcrum.

I use an OXO Garden Trowel from Lowe's. Very sturdy and has serated edges on both sides. I also use one of those bulb planters for plugs when I am in the turf along the beaches. Cuts through pretty well as long as there isn't anything in the way. Only used it a couple of times in normal soil, but again, if you run into roots or rocks it gets hung up.

I bought a Lesche standard digger from Tony, I love it--I don't hunt without it now!

I'm partial to a standard 5 in 1 painting tool for digging common plugs and holes up to about 6 inches or so.
Past that, and/or if out in a field and neat plugs aren't necessary, I'll sometimes use a folding military surplus mini shovel, but still use the 5 in 1 when I feel I'm closing in on the target.

I have found my big knife working good,I have a fiskars big handle coming, which I long for. For a trowel l use a poured aluminum and for my probe I have an 8" t-handle hex wrench.
Works real good, Luckily the only coin I found yesterday was right on top, I lucked out :grin: smg

Back
Top Bottom