Coin ids on the garret at pro

Barred22

Hello. I am pretty new to detecting. Today I detected a friends farm that has been in operation since 1820. I know there are some great finds to be had there. I searched only a fraction for about 8 hours today. I founds lots of old stuff and lots of coins. However my oldest coin was from 1945. I also found a silver quarter from 1950. I'm sure I walked over some great finds. I am not complaining but I thought I may have come across something older. I was only checking targets in the upper 70s the 80s and 90s on the detector. My question is do old coins like Indian head penny's, half dimes, seated dimes, half dollars, V nickels, buffalo nickels, Large cents, and various other coins, show up in the 70-90s range? Or can they show up as something different (I know nickels show up in the 50s)? I am worried a walked over some great stuff. Also any tips on identify coins in there us alot of trash in the ground. This is all in the garret at pro. Any tips in general will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Yep most on there are accurate but I notice on MY ATP that most Nichols come in solid 51 on mine if it jumps from 51 to 53 going from different directions most I have dug at this have been pull tabs . also have learned to listen to the tone more the pull tab will 90 % of the time give a double beep and a dead sound as the Nichol will be crisp also on the Indian heads that I have dug most hit at 76 on mine right in the area of zincs so if your in area that you have a inkling that Indians cents could be . Dig every 75 or 76 hit course as for as rings I have not got lucky enough to find any other than a recent loss for a fellow but I dig all solid hitting tones in the 60's I guess what I am trying to say is all targets may not give actual honest read ots so you really need to just put a lot of time in and listen to the tones on all targets dig every solid hit then you will eventually learn the tone each target gives off. Don't be mistaken you will be fooled sometimes it happens just don't get frustrated Good Luck in your Digs

Most people use certain numbers to identify targets, but that only gives you an idea of what your target might be. If you only dig certain numbers you will pass a lot of good targets. Just like people that don't dig numbers that bounce back and forth between two numbers, leave lots of buttons and earrings. If I am looking in farm fields, I will dig every good signal, if the number bounces or not.

Most people use certain numbers to identify targets, but that only gives you an idea of what your target might be. If you only dig certain numbers you will pass a lot of good targets. Just like people that don't dig numbers that bounce back and forth between two numbers, leave lots of buttons and earrings. If I am looking in farm fields, I will dig every good signal, if the number bounces or not.

X2 :grin:

This is very true if you hunt a lot of open fields on bouncing numbers but for those who don't get to hunt these and mainly are urban area hunters the bouncing numbers do have an effect as for as being stable targets . I have found myself that if the Target bounces and is a very hard hitting tone it has been more trash than good targets , if the Number jumps no more than two digits and is a faint sound and I loose it within 4 inches of raising coil to check It usually is a coin or indeed a decent target. I as well hunt fields in this case I did all solid tones no matter what and don't pay any attention to ID numbers . JMHO

Hello. I am pretty new to detecting. Today I detected a friends farm that has been in operation since 1820. Any tips in general will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Using Pro-Zero setting, when you dig something like a old farm field, if your GB is set, your coil wire connection is tight and your swing slowed down, there shouldn't be too many "bad" signals on your ATP. Make up your mind what you're looking for before you start worrying about digital target identification. Coin shooting in a park with can slaw, bottle caps and tons of tin foil is one thing and target discrimination can be a chore. But, MDing a old farm field should not produce a lot of targets, regardless of digital target ID number, that I, personally, wouldn't dig. Learn your tones and trust them. Leave the DTI for searching areas with lots of multiple targets, and then watch for good, solid numbers to flash with the bad scratchy ones. Low numbers can also be relics and old gun/knife parts. I'd dig anything that SOUNDS good.

ATP/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT hand held

Back
Top Bottom