Device with no high pitched sound MD available?

hermespan

Greetings from Canada.

I live in Cambodia and travel a lot in in tropical nations. I am a complete beginner regarding metal detecting, as in so far it is all theory to me.

I have a chronic hearing problem (tinnitus & hyper accusia). High pitched sounds annoy me. Is there a reliable device, especially for beach use, that instead of having a varying HIGH pitch has a varying *low* pitch (shades of bass for example). alternatively, though I don't know if this would be practical - signals being provided by visual rather than auditory clues.

I want to try metal detecting, but not if it means high pitched squealing.

I'm not sure if this applies, but I have a tesoro Silver Umax and it has a very mellow tone. It is soothing and easy to listen to. There is only one beep pitch. I think I read somewhere that there is an equivalent water unit - a Tigershark maybe? Maybe another member can speak to this. I have been very happy with my Tesoro and enjoy it's simplicity. Good Luck! :yes:

There is actually no high pitched squealing sounds that come out of any detectors...if you discount rolling over a huge object like a shallow can.
In that case I guess you could call the sound some detectors make as squealing.

There are some high tones, my Vaquero has an optional high tone instead of the standard low and I have come to like the lower better...and different brands and models do have different areas and frequencies in their sound, but we have no idea exactly what kind of sound seems to bother you.
Most have pleasant tons or threshold tones that are not all that annoying but to you they might be.

This is like trying on shoes...no way can we tell you what pair would be the most comfortable...for you.

If you have a store in your area you need to go there and try different ones or get over to youtube and watch videos of different types and see what you might be able to deal with.
There are plenty there that will give you an idea of the tones that come out of many models and brands.

It's not just you on the high pitched tones. I tried an ace 250. That bell tone had me wanting to wrap that machine around a tree all day. It would send a retired boxer into a mental hospital. It's the same reason some people can handle a lot of treble from a stereo system. Others have to have it more on a mellow base sound. One thing good to have is headphones with limiters. You can turn it down. And each ear can be adjusted. In fact if you got a screen you can turn it way down. Not always the best idea. But it's better than not detecting at all.

Garrett machines, ACE 250, ACE 350 use Boops, Beeps and dings and combinations of the ding. The AT Pro has the same in Standard mode. They aren't constant tones a boop, beep or ding. I have Tinnitus and they don't bother me, and I can hear them well.

Back
Top Bottom