A Coinstar Christmas Present....#17

diggin4clad

Elite Member
A trip to the local supermarket today allowed me to check the Coinstar machine and in the tray was a single coin.....a 1958 Roosevelt Dime, the 17th silver coin this year from Coinstar.:excited:

Attachments

• Image (14).jpg
    Image (14).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 284
17 CS silvers for the year?

OK, now this Coinstar silver Hunting is starting to get out of hand! :laughing:
Yes, 17 for the year. my best year yet.

Your having a great CS year!
Thanks, It's definitely been a good one

I wonder if the machines are now "tuned" to reject the old coins?
I don't think they're "tuned" in any way.

excellent! :)
Thanks

I just got one yesterday.:D
Good for you, keep looking there's more.

I wonder if the machines are now "tuned" to reject the old coins?
I’m no expert, but from what I understand the machine is calibrated to count by weight. A US silver dime (no longer considered standard currency) is heavier than a clad US dime, so it gets rejected. Same with all “foreign” coin. :cool:

I’m no expert, but from what I understand the machine is calibrated to count by weight. A US silver dime (no longer considered standard currency) is heavier than a clad US dime, so it gets rejected. Same with all “foreign” coin. :cool:

According to the "Redbook", a silver dime weighs 2.5 grams and a clad dime weighs 2.27 grams. That's a very small difference but apparently enough for the machine to detect the difference and reject the silver coin.

Congrats !!!! …..seems like much more silver might now possibly be found "digging" in the Coinstar reject trays than from digging in the dirt :lol:

Back
Top Bottom