• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Morning Finds...

collegefbfan

Digging before heat arrives. Did lots of digging. I need to pinpoint better with my MD. A lot better. My yard has a lot of junk. Switched over to coins mode just to try it out. Found a 1987 dime... a bent coin again. Some type of ring for a screw on lid I guess. This last item I feel like I should know what it is. Circular with holes in with a round turn knob on the side.

Attachments

• BB0F2771-B6B6-484A-8844-7AFD9BB77868.jpg
    BB0F2771-B6B6-484A-8844-7AFD9BB77868.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 329
  • 184AFB8C-D0AD-4244-8E2C-3F19BA902E90.jpg
    184AFB8C-D0AD-4244-8E2C-3F19BA902E90.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 310
Yo Joe, I think you got it. I just could not think of it. Maybe my 4:30 wake up time got to me.

My first time detecting I found one of those... Usually lets you know you're at an old site... It's almost a right of passage finding one.... lol

Yeah the house was built in 1890s. The ring could be for a canning jar, but it is the size of a Gatorade lid or almost. I have been around canning with my grandma, great grandma, and current wife. This ring I found can't be more than an inch or inch and half in diameter.

Yeah the house was built in 1890s. The ring could be for a canning jar, but it is the size of a Gatorade lid or almost. I have been around canning with my grandma, great grandma, and current wife. This ring I found can't be more than an inch or inch and half in diameter.

I remember smaller canning lids that fit jam jars. Grandmom used them for relishes and other goodies she made.
Should not be hard to search and verify what size canning lids where used.

I'm not convinced that is a canning jar lid. It looks like it is to thick and threads are too fine for a jar lid. I'm going out on a limb and guess that it is a retaining ring to hold a globe on an old oil lamp. If it has reverse threads (lefty tighty- righty loosey) then I would be almost certain that is what it is.

I know it isn't a top for a glass milk container, because of how many threads. But the size of the mouth of a glass milk container is what it remimds me off. Not necessarily the height of it, but the diameter. Maybe some type of screw on top for a chemical container?

Very likely that the ring is the attachment to the glass reservoir for the same oil lamp that burner came from

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 230
Back
Top Bottom