Quest Pro, a user's review

pescadore

Elite Member
First of all let me say that I am not a professional reviewer of detectors or anything else and can only speak for my personal experience with my detector. I am a coinshooter and love finding coins of any denomination whether clad or silver. I hunt mostly parks, schools, ballfields and recently have started some water detecting in my nearby rivers.

I decided about a month ago, after having more arthritis issues, to get a lighter weight detector that would be waterproof to more than the usual 10 foot depth. I wanted to be able to dive the local rivers with my detector to see what I could find and I knew that there were places that were deeper than 10 foot. I checked out YouTube videos and had pretty much decided that I wanted a Makro Multi Kruzer. I spoke with David at RT6 detector (a forum sponsor) and he suggested that I take a look at the Quest Pro. I had followed and was interested in the Quest Pro a while back but the first ones produced seemed to really have some issues so had written them off. After watching some YouTube videos and doing some research, I found out that the Quest Pro had been re-designed and that the issues that the old ones had had been resolved. It was getting very good reviews from users in the UK. I spoke with David and explained what kind of hunting I did and what I wanted and he seemed to think that the Quest Pro would meet my needs and expectations. Let me say quickly that he was not wrong. We did some wheeling and dealing and my new machine was quickly on it's way to me. What can I say, I like trying new machines and it was my favorite color (orange) so I couldn't help myself. Here is a list of some things that attracted me to the Quest Pro initially and that I really like about this machine.

5M/16FT Underwater Submergible

3 Selectable Frequencies (5kHz-13kHz-20kHz)

Smart Devises Compatible W/ Free APP

Built-in USB Rechargeable Li Battery

Optimized Saltwater Performance

Low Lag Wireless Headphone

Lightest Weight and Ergonomic

Real-time Ground Effect Monitoring

Adjustable Rubber Handle

Fast Release Cam-Lock, 3 Section Rods

LED Search Light and LCD Backlight

It came with 2 coils, a 9X11 stock coil and 5X9 smaller coil

When I received the Quest Pro, I assembled it and charged it up. I really liked the way it felt and the LCD screen was great and even came with a free tempered glass screen protector. The ID numbers were large and easy to read and the menu was easy to navigate. The wireless headphones were full headphone design and not just the ones that fit on top of your ears. They synced up beautifully with the detector so it was time to try this baby out.

Performance:

My first couple of hunts with the Quest Pro were to nearby parks and playgrounds because I wanted to get a feel for the machine in a target rich environment and I was really impressed with the stability and good target ID with the QPro. I used both coils and they seemed to do very well. The speed of the Quest Pro give it excellent target separation even with the large coil and so that was a good thing. I pulled 2 silver rings out of my first 3 hunts with the QPro and a bunch of clad coins. So far so good with my new machine and I was growing fond of it. I experimented with the different frequencies and sensitivity levels but found that I did best in coin mode at 20 kHz while running the sensitivity at about 80 (it goes up to 99). I got excellent depth and the detector was very stable with consistent TID's.

I decided to take the Quest Pro to an older school and hunt the front of the school that I have pounded on many occasions with the F70, Whites Treasure Pro, and MX Sport. I literally thought that I had found every coin within reach of a detector because I had made a couple of trips and got skunked on the front of the school. I had the stock coil on the Quest Pro and much to my surprise, I was finding coins that were missed by my other machines including 2 wheat cents. Many of the targets dug had obviously been masked and missed by the other machines because I found nails, screws, and other iron stuff in several holes with the coins. My deepest target found that day was a memorial penny that was between 8-9 inches deep. The performance of the QPro was very impressive and even at depth the TID's were very good and accurate.

A forum member messaged me about the QPro and asked if it would detect a 10 inch deep quarter and even though I felt that it would, I recreated that scenario in the lot behind my residence. I dug a 10 inch deep hole, which was not easy in this rocky terrain, and dropped a clad quarter in the bottom. I filled the hole back up with the removed dirt and rocks and went inside to get the QPro. I turned the machine on, ground balanced, and set the sensitivity to 80. I was using the stock coil at the time. I ran the coil over the filled hole and sure enough I was able to get a good high tone and a 89 - 90 ID which is where a quarter will ID using 20 kHz. I was able to lift the coil up a couple of inches and could still get a good diggable tone and ID. I used pinpoint and the depth reading was 10 inches so very accurate. I reported back to the forum member on my results. I left the quarter buried in the yard for future use and got to wondering if I could hit the quarter using the small coil. I put the small coil on, ground balanced, and set the sensitivity t
o 85. I got the same results with the small coil as I had gotten with the big coil and so I was very happy. I dropped the sensitivity to 80 and still got a good tone but the ID was a little more jumpy but very dig worthy with the 89-90 being the most prevalent numbers on the ID. I turned the sensitivity up to 90 and was able to get a good tone and ID with the coil lifted off the ground an inch or two.

The Quest Pro is a very sensitive machine and have had to get used to digging tiny little objects at crazy depths for the size of the targets. I have found rivets and zipper pulls and other misc small objects that took me a while to pinpoint and figuring out the machine was not lying to me that there was something there.

My last few hunts have been water detecting with the QPro in the Guadalupe River. I have only waded but made sure to get deep enough to have the detector completely submerged for a while to test the waterproof ablility of the machine. The QPro proved to be equally at home in the water as it is land hunting. I had no issues due to the water with the machine. My only issue with water hunting was my inexperience and my gradually improving recovery skills.

No detector is perfect so here are a couple of things that I have not liked about the Quest Pro. My first issue was with the "Magic Grip" The rubber on the grip was very thin and soft and although it was very comfortable to use seemed to be wearing very quickly. I first contacted David with RT6 Detectors and he was very helpful. He advised that I contact Jason Teng on the Facebook page for Quest Metal detectors and so I gave that a try. Jason got back to me very quickly and explained that they were trying to make a very comfortable grip and now realized that it was wearing faster than they expected. He said he would send me a new redesigned harder grip out the next day and sure enough, I got a message with at tracking number the very next day. That was very quick and great customer service at no charge. By the way, I am still using the original grip because it is very comfortable and it is not wearing as bad as initially.
The only other issue I have had was that the machine would seem to sound off very loudly when I shook it back and forth and became very erratic. I again contacted David and was pretty upset. He immediately contacted Jason and gave me some suggestions. With their help I was able to figure out that the QPro is a little finicky about how the coil wire is wrapped and that you need to run it up straight up the rod for about 6-8 inches before beginning to wrap the wire around the rod as usual. I went to Lowes and purchased some extra Velcro wraps and secured the wire straight up the lower rod and that fixed the issue along with not having the detector directly over concrete when shaking it. No more noise and stability regained with that simple fix.

All in all, I am very satisfied with the Quest Pro and I am confident that in the event I have any problems with it that Quest will take care of the issue. They are based out of California even though the detector is made in China so reaching them is not an issue and like I said I got very quick response from Jason Teng via Facebook messenger. For my style of detecting and the kind of hunting that I do, the Quest Pro is probably one of my favorite machines that I have owned and I have owned a bunch. I have a friend that has an Equinox 800 and I hope to hunt with him in the near future and compare signals. He was lucky enough to get the 800 when they were first released so he has some experience with it and hopefully we can get a good comparison video. I really sincerely doubt that there will be anything that he can hit that I will not be able to. I have not had the opportunity to try the Quest Pro on a saltwater beach but get to the Texas beaches once or twice a year so I will try it out in the future. I suspect that it will do okay but do not expect it to do as well as a multi-frequency machine. It is said to have Optimized Saltwater Performance but who knows. If you have any questions about the Quest Pro, I would be more than happy to answer them but please no hateful comments. If you don't want a detector made in China, I am not trying to sell you one or forcing you to own one. I am just giving you my honest and unbiased review based on the kind of hunting I do in the area that I live in. Your results may vary but the Quest Pro is working out very well for me.

Pesc

Great review! I have been looking at them for awhile,but really no reviews out,not from trustworthy members anyhow..I want one!,lol..Hitting a honest 10inch coin is not easy for any machine,the quest sounds deep.
How long do you get on a charge? On both the machine and the headphones.Thanks again pescadore for a good review

Great review! I have been looking at them for awhile,but really no reviews out,not from trustworthy members anyhow..I want one!,lol..Hitting a honest 10inch coin is not easy for any machine,the quest sounds deep.
How long do you get on a charge? On both the machine and the headphones.Thanks again pescadore for a good review

Thanks. I am not sure how many users there are in the US because of the Nox and Multi Kruzer debuts. I have been in contact on the facebook page with a few UK users and they say they are popular over there.
I really have not done any testing to see how long I can get out of a charge but I am using the wired headphones now since I am primarily water hunting and I charge the detector after about 3 hunts. I do not hunt for more than a couple hours because I have RA and that's about as long as I can go without paying the price. I think using the wireless headphone you are supposed to get about 20 hours of use and 30 hours on speaker.

Very well written review! Sounds like their customer service is excellent. I really like the fact that it's waterproof to 16 feet, every time I'm at the lake I look at all the swim platforms around just about every camp and they are all in about 12 to 15 feet of water, there must be gold under and around all of them. Unfortunately I can't justify a second new detector this year but maybe next year. Thanks for the review, I will definitely take a closer look at this machine.

Very well written review! Sounds like their customer service is excellent. I really like the fact that it's waterproof to 16 feet, every time I'm at the lake I look at all the swim platforms around just about every camp and they are all in about 12 to 15 feet of water, there must be gold under and around all of them. Unfortunately I can't justify a second new detector this year but maybe next year. Thanks for the review, I will definitely take a closer look at this machine.

Thanks, I have had very good experiences so far with the customer service but have had no major issues that required sending the detector in for service so can't comment on turnaround time etc. I understand about the swm platforms. I was in the same boat with the MX Sport. I was afraid to dive with it in the river knowing that the 10 foot limit would not be enough to detect in some areas of the river. I also was having issues with the weight of the MX Sport but I only had the stock coil. I think going to the 7 inch or six-shooter coil would have helped that issue. The MX Sport is a good machine and I have always liked Whites machines. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of review information out there on the new version of the Quest Pro. Most of the videos that I watched were from 2016 and the machine has been redesigned and greatly improved. The old version had lots of issues. I appreciate your comments and wish you Happy Hunting !!!
Pesc

What do you think a about the other frequencies? Do you think you will get more depth and will it be impacted more by iron in these frequencies?

Ray

What do you think a about the other frequencies? Do you think you will get more depth and will it be impacted more by iron in these frequencies?

Ray
I have used 13 kHz some and 5 to verify some targets. I really havent used them enough to know for sure about their tendency in iron. 20 kHz does seem to ID rusty bottlecaps a little easier but I still get fooled sometimes. The sites I hunt the most are loaded with those pesky things and I hate them. I also have dug several coins in 20 kHz with nails and screws in the plug so I have just stuck with 20. I like it especially now that I am water hunting and hoping for some gold jewelry.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Very good " HONEST REVIEW ". I am sure you'll do well with your new machine. I too have RA so I know what you are contending with. Good luck and HH
Bubbaron NOX 600, AT PRO, AT PRO CARROT PIN POINTER

Very good " HONEST REVIEW ". I am sure you'll do well with your new machine. I too have RA so I know what you are contending with. Good luck and HH
Bubbaron NOX 600, AT PRO, AT PRO CARROT PIN POINTER

Thank You. I am enjoying the difference in weight between the MX Sport and the Quest Pro. I use the small coil most of the time and it is very light. Sorry to hear about your RA. It really stinks !!!! I am staying in the river almost exclusively these days. Using my scoop and not having to bend over is helping some.

Appreciate the review, Pescadore. Thank you for taking the time on a unit that is kind of flying under the radar for now. HH

Good review. It’s been a couple months now since you first started using your Quest Pro. Any follow up you can add to your initial review?

Thanks,

Dan

Back
Top Bottom