City gave me permission to detect but...

hubbit

It took a few days, but I actually got an official response from a local city to detect in their parks, they said "yes" but ...only one thing, they added: "we prefer that you do not dig any holes" :no:!!! They gave me the number to the Park Maintenance Supervisor if I had any questions. I will try to sell him on the "flap method" or at least the "cut a slit and stuff the Propointer in" method (I am "coin-popper challenged). Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I think what I'd do is talk to the Park Maintenance Supervisor, take him out to a grassy, out-of-the-way spot and show how how you dig and replace plugs. Tell him there are different methods that you can use, but start with the big plug -- and then replace it properly. Show him that even a four-inch diameter plug can be replaced with nary a trace, and that this type of plug is actually better than a smaller one, in terms of the root system of the grass. I think if he sees you cut a 4" plug, put the dirt on a cloth, and then pour it back into the hole and then replace the plug, he'd be pretty impressed, and less apt to give you a hard time. You can tell him that if he sees any holes that were not properly replaced, that you can promise him it was NOT you, as you always dig and replace YOUR plugs just as you told him. I'd give him your cell phone number and tell him if he has any concerns, with any "damage" he sees, to call you. IF someone else digs some nasty holes, and he calls you thinking it was you, I'd meet him there, make sure those holes AREN'T yours, and then take him to a few of the (barely discernable) holes that WERE yours, and show him that no, you truly are digging and replacing plugs just as you demonstrated to him -- and show him the proof.

I think after giving him a demo, and then giving him your phone number, you might be in good shape. That would seem pretty responsible and up-front to me, if I were a park manager. If he still doesn't like the plug method, after you demonstrate, then show him the "flap method;" if he still doesn't like it, show him the "slit" method...I think if you demonstrate your willingness to be "flexible" and "cooperative," you will find a compromise; after all, the city did not say "though shalt not," but only "we prefer not," and thus I think there is some room there to work with the park manager and come up with something agreeable to all...

Steve

Agree with Steve. If you show your willingness to work with them, I think it would improve your chances ten fold. Good Luck!

If you ask and he says no you can't dig then if you do dig you will be going against him and you will always have problems with him.I would just bring a copy of whatever the city sent you and start detecting in out of the way places till they either confront you or get used to seeing you there.Then if you have a problem you can show your recovery method and permission to detect.Parks Supervisors can be tough to deal with,most of them consider the park theirs and don't care about what city officials say.A dozen donuts and a few cups of coffee can work wonders too.Good Luck and HH!

Thanks guys for you advice.

Steveg and Patton - I think I'll try and follow this path and take my chances by being up front.

Hotrod Tom - I am tempted to do this, but I am hoping that my powers of persuasion will win out with the Park Maintanence Supervisor.

If I go by the city's preferences, I'd be hitting the tot lots and thats all (no old stuff there). This city has been around since the early 1900's, and I would like to hit some of the older parks.

Again, thanks for your input all, HH!!!

I use the coin popping method in the park (I told the city manager I wouldn't DIG any holes) and sweep the pea gravel and shredded rubber aside with my hands in the tot lots.....after 4 1/2 months, no complaints......

Dusty

Update...

Just wanted to update my situation. I called and spoke with the Park Maintenance Supervisor, who actually turned out to be a really laid back, nice guy. He said that coin-popping and small holes with the dirt and sod replaced are not a problem for him, just that some people who detect in their parks carry large shovels and don't always fill in their holes! I don't carry anything larger than a Lesche and I assured him that I would leave the park looking better than when I got there with the trash and metal objects removed and he was just fine with that. :yes:

Whats cool is that this city of over 65,000 people has 37 parks and dates back to the turn of the century (pre to early 1900's)! I will be busy diggin' dirt when not in the ocean or being the good dad and hubby that I strive to be!:juggle:

Very cool. Glad the groundskeeper turned out to be a nice, understanding guy. More aften than not, they tend to be like I am with my network "Don't touch it!! Don't mess it up! I don't want to have to fix it again!!"

HH and post all your goodies!!

Oh, and after you collect a good amount of trash, swing by his office and dispose of it in front of him, it will enhance his opinion of you that much more!

i always us the comparison about how I have been retrieving coins is like getting the key out from under the door matt,,,, you just lift up one side and get the key and then drop it back down,,,, that's not digging IMHO

Any other suggestions?

Yes. Next time don't bother asking permission. :lol:

Public property is supported by taxes and is owned by every one of us to use in any way we see fit in manners that are nondisruptive or a danger to others.

As for "digging holes", I believe this may be interpreted as "leaving holes". While I openly and freely admit that this is a self-serving rationalization, I think it's a fair one to make.

I think many administrators hear the term "metal detector" and immediately conjure images of some guy turning their exquisitely manicured park into a wasteland that looks like swiss cheese or the lunar surface.

But digging and replugging a dozen holes in an acre of ground is hardly laying waste, and more damage is probably done when the town cuts the park's grass.

The next time any of you go out, do this: When you're ready to leave, turn around and look to see if you can spot where you've been.

It's extremely rare that I can spot a place I've dug, and if I can't see it, neither can anyone else.

And just to reiterate the old saw... "It's always easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission". :lol:

Yes. Next time don't bother asking permission. :lol:

Public property is supported by taxes and is owned by every one of us to use in any way we see fit in manners that are nondisruptive or a danger to others.

That's all fine and dandy in theory but telling that to a park policeman around here will get you arrested.

What part of Park Maintenance Supervisor doesn't have metal detector guy waiting to happen written all over it?

Wait whats the slit and flap method? I only know plug. Is their a site to learn these techniques?

Mark your target in your mind or by sticking a screw driver in as reference. Cut around the mark in a open square or horseshoe shape leaving one side uncut. Slide your digger just under the roots and loose the under soil. Slide a gloved hand under and cradle your flap as you flip it over using the uncut side as a hinge. And you should know the rest on placing your dirt on a towel so you can easily side all dirt back in the hole when done.

Flip the flap back over and carefully tuck it back in. Be sure to tamp it back down good so roots hit soil again. Some people carry water in the dry season to dampen the roots to give them a good start. Helps to eliminate brown spots.

I was going to suggest bringing a bottle of water along for the demonstration and water the plug as well.

Back
Top Bottom