Attempting to open up my county parks to MDers

Xaquin

Elite Member
I'm in the process of crafting a letter to my county commissioners as I recently found out it is against regulation to MD in their parks (even though I've been doing so for over a year and even talked to county employees while doing it).

How's this for a start?

My name is ---------- and I’ve been metal detecting for around two years now. I’ve also been Metal Detecting in County Parks for around two years unaware that I was breaking any rules. I’ve even spoken with county employees while MDing (who were always very nice and polite). I’d like to open up a discussion about why I feel Metal Detecting should be permitted in county parks. I also think there are several benefits to it as well as ways to go about getting it done (be it by permit or sign in or something like that).

I would first like to say that I always ALWAYS fill any holes I dig. You can’t even tell I’ve been there once the soil dries. I make it a point never to dig on any playing field or side line.

I’ve pulled out bucketfuls of garbage from various playgrounds and park grounds ranging from shredded bits of can to razors and live ammunition.

I’d also like to bring up the fact that I’m not some treasure seeker digging holes and leaving whatever I don’t want lying around. I carry out any trash I dig up and share my finds with whoever shows interest in it.

For example: I have been in contact with and worked with both the Calvert Marine Museum and Jefferson Patterson Park Museum to identify items I’ve found. I contacted the Bell Aircraft Museum when I found a rare airplane pin a few weeks ago (at a friends house) When the rotating exhibits begin, I will be submitting some of my finds to the Maryland Veterans Museum in Bel Alton. I would be thrilled to submit any historical finds to the County.

I have detected on both public and private lands (with permission) and have never had a single complaint and would be happy to provide reference letters to that effect.

I also plan on including some finds that I've had identified by museums.

Well they might give you permission. The letter is worded well so I would give it a whirl.

I'd be surprised if a letter will do anything. I would start going to open county meetings (typically held once a month) and plead your case to the board. Changing rules / laws is not something that can be accomplished as easily as writing a simple letter. They've made this law in your county for a reason, I'm sure they'd be hard pressed to change it just so you can enjoy your hobby. I'm not trying to take the wind out of your sails, and I applaud you for you effort, I'm simply playing devils advocate.

According to marylands website, local government is typically considered county government, so you may want to start at the township level...however they'll probably tell you it's a county law.

On a separate note, you sure do have some nice history in your state.....dating back to the mid 1600s...MDers dream!

Good luck fighting the good fight and keep us posted on any replies you get!

You might be careful about saying you dig up live ammo. They might use that as an excuse to not allow digging.

I think "dig" should be replaced by "cutting a plug" or words to that effect. The word dig can bring up visions of a guy with a full sized shovel standing knee deep in a hole throwing soil around.

Perhaps a bit more education for them on how a plug is cut and the average depth of a target.

For example: I do not dig holes. I carefully cut three sided plugs in the sod and soil, lift up the sod, remove the soil and place it on a placemat. When the target is found (usually between 2 to 8 inches), the soil is replaced in the hole and the sod plug is put back into place... (Or words to this effect)

JMHO

thanks all!

@Chad, I don't think the letter will do anything, but I hope to at least get an open dialogue rolling. It's not county law as it isn't in the code. It's just supposedly on their signs (which I've never once seen, but anyway). Also, it isn't on their Park and Rec website either.

Two things that catch my attention are:

1- Admitting you were violating Park Rules.

2- Mentioning Park Employees who failed to enforce Park Rules.

May not be the best way to get a foot in the door, or make friends with Park Employees.....they may not be so forgiving next time. Just sayin'........

The best thing for you to do is set an appt to present your request to the board. Be prepared with info on how you cut your plugs and clean up after yourself. Maybe even show a video on how it is done. Md recreation boards are willing to work with the citizens. I was involved with an RC club that worked with the local rec board to get land for a large track in Parkton. Good Luck!

May not be the best way to get a foot in the door, or make friends with Park Employees.....they may not be so forgiving next time. Just sayin'........

hmmm good point.

The ammo part is the reason why there is no hunting allowed at Sandy Hook beach NJ.

Yep, bummer isn't it? I work about 10 minutes from the hook, and It kills me that we can't md there......tons of history at that place!!!
thanks all!

@Chad, I don't think the letter will do anything, but I hope to at least get an open dialogue rolling. It's not county law as it isn't in the code. It's just supposedly on their signs (which I've never once seen, but anyway). Also, it isn't on their Park and Rec website either.

Honestly, I would still hunt there if that's the case. You can't see any signs that say 'NO MDing', it's not in the code book, it's not posted on their website.... How did you find out that it's not allowed? Did a park employee tell you this? It doesn't sound like you've confirmed that it is, in fact, not allowed. If it was me, I would be hunting there till my hearts content, until I am told by a park ranger that it is not permitted. Just my thoughts.

You can even go a step further and request to see the written rule of no metal detecting / disturbing the grounds and or vegetation, etc.

I'm with Chad on this one. There is a good chance that if you bring it up they will have no idea about the law and may just decide to start really enforcing the old law with penalties to bringing more tax/fees with tickets. I'd leave it alone and play dumb if you are ever questioned by the police or ranger.

Absolutely, you'll at least get one warning.

" huh??? I can't??? I'm so sorry, I had no clue, I didn't see any signs, I just figured....bla bla bla" been there done that myself plenty of times :D

Please don't send that! These are government employees, they only care about one thing and it is whether or not there is a draft from their rear ends being exposed, meaning whether they are going to lose their jobs for making a bad decision.

The only way to evoke this kind of change is through legal maneuvering, and petitioning from the masses. You will need to get a club involved.

My name is ---------- and I’ve been metal detecting for around two years now. I’ve also been Metal Detecting in County Parks for around two years unaware that I was breaking any rules.

You just admitted to breaking park rules in writing! Is that a misdemeanor?

Xaquin said:
I’ve even spoken with county employees while MDing (who were always very nice and polite).

Great rat out your only supporters!!!

Xaquin said:
I’d like to open up a discussion about why I feel Metal Detecting should be permitted in county parks.

Not bad.

Xaquin said:
I also think there are several benefits to it as well as ways to go about getting it done (be it by permit or sign in or something like that).
Does not logically flow. What do the two have to do with one another? Poorly worded euphemism I assume. How is having a sign in sheet getting it done?

Xaquin said:
I would first like to say that I always ALWAYS fill any holes I dig. You can’t even tell I’ve been there once the soil dries. I make it a point never to dig on any playing field or sideline.

Never say you dig. You carefully extract a coin. That is probably why they banned metal detecting in the first place, some jealous old lady told them we were digging holes in their parks and stealing coins from the government.

Xaquin said:
I’ve pulled out bucketfuls of garbage from various playgrounds and park grounds ranging from shredded bits of can to razors and live ammunition.

I’d also like to bring up the fact that I’m not some treasure seeker digging holes and leaving whatever I don’t want lying around. I carry out any trash I dig up and share my finds with whoever shows interest in it.

For example: I have been in contact with and worked with both the Calvert Marine Museum and Jefferson Patterson Park Museum to identify items I’ve found. I contacted the Bell Aircraft Museum when I found a rare airplane pin a few weeks ago (at a friends house) When the rotating exhibits begin, I will be submitting some of my finds to the Maryland Veterans Museum in Bel Alton. I would be thrilled to submit any historical finds to the County.

I have detected on both public and private lands (with permission) and have never had a single complaint and would be happy to provide reference letters to that effect.

Finally some good points, too bad they are too busy trying to get the DA to press misdemeanor charges on you for breaking the law as admitted in your written confession in the first sentence, to even read the letter to this point.

Sorry for the scathing criticism. I hope you stick to the cause and get it reversed.

I think "dig" should be replaced by "cutting a plug" or words to that effect. The word dig can bring up visions of a guy with a full sized shovel standing knee deep in a hole throwing soil around.

Perhaps a bit more education for them on how a plug is cut and the average depth of a target.

For example: I do not dig holes. I carefully cut three sided plugs in the sod and soil, lift up the sod, remove the soil and place it on a placemat. When the target is found (usually between 2 to 8 inches), the soil is replaced in the hole and the sod plug is put back into place... (Or words to this effect)

JMHO

To a knowledgeable grounds keeper, who has sodded, filled in animal holes, and possibly moved the hole on a golf green, cutting would be ok, but to a bureaucrat I would prefer the wording below.

"I carefully extract the target using a narrow tool."

----Yes I cut a plug dig a little and plant it all back, and then fluff the grass with my bare fingers until it looks exactly like it did before, but they would not understand that unless they got to watch me in action.

Honestly, I would still hunt there if that's the case. You can't see any signs that say 'NO MDing', it's not in the code book, it's not posted on their website.... How did you find out that it's not allowed? Did a park employee tell you this? It doesn't sound like you've confirmed that it is, in fact, not allowed. If it was me, I would be hunting there till my hearts content, until I am told by a park ranger that it is not permitted. Just my thoughts.

You can even go a step further and request to see the written rule of no metal detecting / disturbing the grounds and or vegetation, etc.

Ditto!

DITTO... sending out that letter could be more damaging

hmmmm

I'm starting to think I should just give up county parks =/

stupid fake laws

Back
Top Bottom