What is your best/worst snowstorm?

1997 or so...

Started as rain, figured it HAD to let up, so went out anyway...

2 inches of snow later......

In June, arctic watershed Ontario, it was 74°F earlier, its now 27, and you are now stranded alone on a small uninhibited island, with a busted knee, and for the most part, are not mobile, 2am, getting colder, campfire almost out, everything soaked, your chair/bed/house/everything you are sitting on is literally two cases of beer in a cooler, your roof is a garbage bag (you planned to put your trophy in for possible taxidermy) ...

Really long story in there ^

So 1978, as a kid, seemed a little more forgiving..

<°)))>{

I guess it would have been the 1978 storm in VT I remember climbing up on the roof of the house, single story, and my brother and I jumping in to the snow.
Later on I lived in CO and I remember one storm that lasted for like 5 days, we got close to five feet of the fluffy stuff. You should have seen the lines at the ski lift on the sixth day before the lifts started running, everyone eager for first tracks and there was enough for everyone...

I was 12 years old when the blizzard of 78 hit central Indiana hard. It started in the afternoon, Dad made it home wed. evening in a blinding snow that just kept getting worse. for 3 days it snowed sideways with 50 below wind chills. When it stopped the world was silent, until we heard what sounded like a jet plane. It was a tank flying down our county road at full scream, with a rooster tail of snow a 100 foot in the air. The girl up the road was on some type of medical equipment that needed electricity and a tank was the only way to get to her. We helped the neighbor dig out a heavy work van and put on snow chains. Then they sent me on cross country skis to the dozen neighbors along a mile stretch to see if anyone needed anything. They did, cigarettes, coke, and booze. No one needed milk or eggs, just the essentials. I wasn't allowed on the trip to the store, but they had to drive in reverse 5 miles there and back following the tanks trail. I was the hero of the neighborhood when I skied up bearing booze and cigarettes. The next week was spent digging snow forts and sledding off a neighbors barn roof.

I remember that storm, I was 17 at the time. People were trapped in the country, or in town for days. A couple I knew lived in the country and the wife went into labor. Luckily, snowmobiling is popular around here and that's how she got to the hospital. Lots more stories from that year I could tell but I have to go to work.

The blizzard of '78 was pretty bad but the absolute worst snowstorm was the blizzard of 2013...38" of snow here in Milford...in one day:shock: For a while it was coming down at 6" per hour, and with 60 mph winds some of the drifts were 8-9 feet high. Plows on tri-axle dump trucks it was so bad...one had to be abandoned down right the street from me after the driver buried up to the windshield trying to clear a path, had to crawl out the window and leave it...was dug out with with a couple of payloaders a week later:lol:

I remember visiting my grandparents in CT when I was little, not crazy storms, but just the usual few inches here and there. It seems like in the past 15 years it is either nothing at all or 3 feet of snow all at once.

Very early '60s in Maryland. Dad was stationed at Patuxent River Naval Air Station and we lived way out in the dingweeds at the end of a long private road. There were 8 or 10 houses in the immediate area. We had a tremendous blizzard and were snowed in for 7 days and without power for 11 days. The Navy helicopters and National guard were on duty every day aiding stranded householders. Only 2 houses in our area had fireplaces so all the neighbors piled in one of the two houses (one was ours) and bunked up. My Dad had plenty of camping gear so we had Coleman stoves, lanterns, cots and extra sleeping bags. All the families shared food so we were alright there. It was very trying for the adults but for us children it was great fun. A snow storm AND a sleepover! RK

Back
Top Bottom