Cold weather Set-UP?

Buellride

Forum Supporter
Just wondering (for all of us non-Tropical water hunters) what set up do most use? I have a pair of thigh high waders with thermals for cold water (upright) hunting and a 3/4 wetsuit (snorkel get up) for the warmer months.

Just curious? Reason is, I am thinking of chest waders for the cold months or a mix of thigh waders with wetsuit underneath (and some 5mm booties in the boots). I know it may look goofy but it may keep me warmer....

Dry suit is WAY out of my league....

I used to use neoprene waders from Gander mountain and trappers gloves from them and be just fine. I decided not to play in the cold anymore.

Dry suits made for surfing or kayaking can be found for under 600.00 new. You don't need one you can add air or argon gas to for wading.

Neoprene chest waders, trapper gauntlets, wool socks, sweat pants under the waders. On top I use thermal underwear long sleeve top, big T shirt over that, a down vest and glove liners in the gauntlets.

If it's only moderately cold, like 35 degrees or so I will substitute a sweat shirt with the sleeves cut off instead of the down vest.

Half the time I winter hunt I end up being too warm.

Drysuit with dry gloves but it takes me 30 minutes to get ready, I'll have to post a pic in 24, going out this Saturday..only the second time this year. I'm almost like scuba, I really enjoy hunting but when it is bitter cold like the past few weeks my mind says yes and my body no. Going to be 50 sat so I'll sweat like a pig...until I hit the water..which was frozen last week...

My drysuit cost less then a 100, used ebay...but I do my own repairs, the secret is aquaseal..all new seals less then 40 dollars, tube of aquaseal. 25...
Zippers, not my cup of tea, tried replacing..failed. Pic less drygloves...

Attachments

• KIMG0513.jpg
    KIMG0513.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 20180120_100754.jpg
    20180120_100754.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Its

A good thing we are having some 50+ day's, otherwise Joe will be looking up Ice Scratcher for a Ice boat to get around , Joe thing's are looking up :tropical:

Best neoprene chest waders for ME, your results may vary. I find the wide shoulder straps held with velcro comfortable and easy to get in and out of and the boots are better than any I have used for long distance walking.

Aquaseal, you will need it. Waders seams will seep after a few hours in the water. They all do it's just a matter of how bad. Have aquaseal on hand to go over the seams and you can keep a set of these Frogg Toggs going dang near until you wear out the bottoms of the boots

Frogg Toggs Amphib™ Green Insluated Neoprene Bootfoot Chest Waders - Mens
Model: 2713243

zzztogg.jpg

i have the same waders as irons posted they work great especilly in cold water i also use a drysuit with the dry gloves acytually zip seal system its a DUI clx 450 suit got it used works great but if you cant afford drysuit go with neoprene chest waders and uncle freddys gut gloves work well in the cold water too H.H.

Neoprene chest waders, trapper gauntlets, wool socks, sweat pants under the waders. On top I use thermal underwear long sleeve top, big T shirt over that, a down vest and glove liners in the gauntlets.

If it's only moderately cold, like 35 degrees or so I will substitute a sweat shirt with the sleeves cut off instead of the down vest.

Half the time I winter hunt I end up being too warm.

LOL i hear that irons i was out night b4 last in 15 degrees and was sweating go figure

Us northern folk have to find other hobbies till the ground thaws.
So here I am out on the lake ice fishing,
My cold water set up, fishing on hard water.
82c71d229ca1d81e822be5e6de8427d5.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Drysuit with dry gloves but it takes me 30 minutes to get ready, I'll have to post a pic in 24, going out this Saturday..only the second time this year. I'm almost like scuba, I really enjoy hunting but when it is bitter cold like the past few weeks my mind says yes and my body no. Going to be 50 sat so I'll sweat like a pig...until I hit the water..which was frozen last week...

My drysuit cost less than a 100, used ebay...but I do my own repairs, the secret is aquaseal..all new seals less then 40 dollars, tube of aquaseal. 25...
Zippers, not my cup of tea, tried replacing..failed. Pic less dry gloves...

Unbelievable, you deserve every piece of treasure you find Joe!
Boy am I glad I live in the tropics.:tropical:
Good luck on Saturday, hope you find another "honey hole" .. look forward to your photo's.

Thanks all for the recommendations and your personal set-ups! I am going with neoprene chest waders and have aquaseal on Amazon order. Going to hit a few of the lake swim areas that I haven't hit to chest deep yet on Saturday.

Thanks a bunch...and dirt dick, love your cold weather solution....OBN, you just look plain old scary in your get up...keeps the kids and lookie loos away:laughing:

My drysuit cost less then a 100, used ebay...but I do my own repairs, the secret is aquaseal..all new seals less then 40 dollars, tube of aquaseal. 25...
Zippers, not my cup of tea, tried replacing..failed. Pic less drygloves...

OBN...creature from the black lagoon!! Or just scary enough to keep people away from your line...:D

I don't care how thick the ice is lol...

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20180122_190016.jpg
    IMG_20180122_190016.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom