im going to cuba!

QuincyK

Hello fellow detectorist,
I am going to cuba in 12 days for our honeymoon and i plan on bringing my at pro and my plastic sifter. I have a checked bag but am I able to bring my detector to cuba? anything I should watch for? where should I hunt specifically?
I went to cancun last year and had no issues bringing my detector in my checked bag. When I got there I only hunted the beach. I hunted practically every day and found a bit of pesos and one very small what i believe to be gold ring.
I am looking for Coins and gold. any input from people with this experience would help.

The Sand Shark that I have I bought from a Norwegian who bought it here in Miami and took it on vacation to Cuba. So I guess its allowed. "Varadero" is their main tourist beach. Here is the link when I bought it and it has a couple of pictures of that beach that were given to me by the guy I bought the detector from.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=208781&highlight=sand+shark

Jim, I put very little stock into that list. The problem is not that the list of compilers wasn't "sincere". But .... ask yourself: How did they get that information ? Notice nothing on the list points you to chapter and verse of anywhere it actually SAYS "metal detecting prohibited".

The persons who go to compile such lists get their information by asking. And who-better-to ask, than the country themselves, right ? Eg.: a border consulate lawyer type. Or the chief archaeologist there. Who knows ? And then whomever is given this "pressing question" casts the answer in terms of shipwreck salvor laws, raiding the pyramids laws, exporting gold bars laws, cultural heritage that only ever applied to sensitive monument laws, etc... But ... gee, aren't you glad you asked ?

The same psychology happened in the early 1980s, when Fisher Co. fielded this question from a customer getting ready to head to a Mexican beach resort. The question was: Is md'ing in Mexico legal ? Fisher's answer appeared in their monthly newsletter letter-to-the-editor section: "No". In the following edition , other readers wrote into object saying "since when ?" and "says who?" and "we go there all the time with no problem", etc.... Fisher defended their earlier answer, by explaining that, when they'd gotten the question, they merely passed it on to a consulate or lawyer there. And they were merely reporting the answer (ie.: don't shoot the messenger). Now OBVIOUSLY it's NOT illegal there. But as you can see, it all depends on who you ask, and how they cast the question.

SO TOO do I wonder if, when wonderful lists like that get compiled, if the same psychology isn't at play. It's exactly what happened when attempts to do a 50 state list of state parks here was attempted. Odd-ball answers, at places that were never a problem before, came back in to the inquiries. Old-timers then scratching their head saying "since when ?"

So when you dig deeper into such compendiums, asking "says who?" Or "where is that written?" Sometimes it falls apart. NOT SAYING IT'S NOT TRUE FOR THIS SPECIFIC LOCALE. Maybe it is. But ... just saying ... that list is not always accurate.

Jim, I put very little stock into that list. The problem is not that the list of compilers wasn't "sincere". But .... ask yourself: How did they get that information ? Notice nothing on the list points you to chapter and verse of anywhere it actually SAYS "metal detecting prohibited".

The persons who go to compile such lists get their information by asking. And who-better-to ask, than the country themselves, right ? Eg.: a border consulate lawyer type. Or the chief archaeologist there. Who knows ? And then whomever is given this "pressing question" casts the answer in terms of shipwreck salvor laws, raiding the pyramids laws, exporting gold bars laws, cultural heritage that only ever applied to sensitive monument laws, etc... But ... gee, aren't you glad you asked ?

The same psychology happened in the early 1980s, when Fisher Co. fielded this question from a customer getting ready to head to a Mexican beach resort. The question was: Is md'ing in Mexico legal ? Fisher's answer appeared in their monthly newsletter letter-to-the-editor section: "No". In the following edition , other readers wrote into object saying "since when ?" and "says who?" and "we go there all the time with no problem", etc.... Fisher defended their earlier answer, by explaining that, when they'd gotten the question, they merely passed it on to a consulate or lawyer there. And they were merely reporting the answer (ie.: don't shoot the messenger). Now OBVIOUSLY it's NOT illegal there. But as you can see, it all depends on who you ask, and how they cast the question.

SO TOO do I wonder if, when wonderful lists like that get compiled, if the same psychology isn't at play. It's exactly what happened when attempts to do a 50 state list of state parks here was attempted. Odd-ball answers, at places that were never a problem before, came back in to the inquiries. Old-timers then scratching their head saying "since when ?"

So when you dig deeper into such compendiums, asking "says who?" Or "where is that written?" Sometimes it falls apart. NOT SAYING IT'S NOT TRUE FOR THIS SPECIFIC LOCALE. Maybe it is. But ... just saying ... that list is not always accurate.

The Sand Shark that I have I bought from a Norwegian who bought it here in Miami and took it on vacation to Cuba. So I guess its allowed. "Varadero" is their main tourist beach. Here is the link when I bought it and it has a couple of pictures of that beach that were given to me by the guy I bought the detector from.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=208781&highlight=sand+shark

now I have no idea. Since people have went there but its saying its forbidden. Is there anyone in this forum that can shed some input on if they go and bring a detector regularly or what :?:

I read a few years back they cut the arms off a detectorist. ....

And such is the usual claim, for any 3rd world country that's not "western" culture. People roaming around with swords to cut off people's arms for various perceived offenses. After all, they're not normal people in any other country where Hollywood shows spy-thriller movies about. Right ?

I know you're probably just joking BD. But ... it often comes up with utter sincerity. And when ask around : "Is there ever an example this supposed prisons or hands cut off for md'ing?" YOU NEVER get an example.

now I have no idea. ...

And ... humorously .... here's what happens next: This post will now show up as a link. Which leads to links. Which leads to links. Which leads to links. All the links, if it could be traced, point back to a single "no" that someone thinks is the answer. And it's impossible to put to rest.

So what will the md'ing community world do to solve this "he said she said" dilemma ? Why of course the only way to solve it .... drum-roll .... is to ask ! (Is anyone seeing the vicious circle here ?)

BTW: The subject of Cuba HAS come up before. People show & telling their finds from visits to Cuban tourist beach destinations. But that will never satisfy skittish persons . They will worry themselves silly: "Perhaps they didn't get caught?" blah blah.

It's as if some md'rs "won't budge" until red carpets are rolled out for them. They think locations have to have an express yes (eg.: a law saying "Metal detecting allowed here"). And that in the absence of that (ie.: silence on the subject, and no express DIS -allowance) people will always assume it must not be allowed in odd-ball countries.

Why is it that way ? Why can't silence on the subject be "not disallowed"? Why do people think this way about every country except their own ? People in other countries, believe it or not, are people too. Just like you and I. Sure, don't throw caution to the wind. Sure if someone can cite an actual law. But on the other hand , it's possible to overthink things.

If you go and detect let us know.
As far as that list, well it seems a bit silly
"Mexico. Metal detecting is permitted. BUT (and it’s extremely important) detecting in Mexico is the prerogative of mafia clans. Apart from archeological finds, mafia has put their hands on beach search."
Now THAT makes me laugh! :lol::lol::lol:

As far as that list, well it seems a bit silly
"Mexico. Metal detecting is permitted. BUT (and it’s extremely important) detecting in Mexico is the prerogative of mafia clans. Apart from archeological finds, mafia has put their hands on beach search."
Now THAT makes me laugh! :lol::lol::lol:

I saw that too. And yes, that's an example of the list's silly-ness. There's no shortage of md'rs who take their detectors when on vacation to Mexican tourist beaches. We see their show & tell posts here all the time. And .... say it isn't so: They're not attacked by the mafia ! :roll:

Cuba - I have a

Close friends sister that went their on a cruse , she said that 25 thug's are waiting for you to get off the ship so they can rob you, as far as a Metal detector , i am sure they will take that to, she told Jim, who told me, she didn't even go on the island, she turned wright around and got back on the ship, also she added NEVER again, i hope you change your destination for your safety , Earl

Don't have any input, other than wish my wife would allow me to hunt that often when on vacation. LOL But sounds like a great time HH and good luck.

Should make for a very cool episode of "locked up abroad".. do you remember that Cuba was a communist country like 10 minutes ago? Yankees running around with electronic devices ,hhmmm. Must be a spy... good luck, just doesn't have a good ring to it,no pun intended. .

Should make for a very cool episode of "locked up abroad".. do you remember that Cuba was a communist country like 10 minutes ago? Yankees running around with electronic devices ,hhmmm. Must be a spy... good luck, just doesn't have a good ring to it,no pun intended. .

LOL,:laughing: Ido!

And such is the usual claim, for any 3rd world country that's not "western" culture. People roaming around with swords to cut off people's arms for various perceived offenses. .

Tom, Tom, we are talking about Cuba. They are not swords, they are machetes. Kept really sharp, to cut through the sugar cane stalks. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom