More sad news!

CTCurt

Super Mod
Forum Supporter
My 11 1/2 year old Golden Retriever, "Junior", was not acting himself the last couple weeks. They did blood work on him last week. White cell count was high, bacteria high in urine, slightly anemic. They put him on antibiotics, and wanted to do follow up blood work this week. Dropped him off this morning for blood work, and x-rays to look for possible mass. They found he has a Splenic Tumor, (Hemangiosarcoma). This is a very aggressive cancer, blood borne, and quick spreading. The only option would be to remove spleen and tumor, but they felt it has already spread to other areas. Also the chance of hemorrhage was very high. We took him home with us tonight, with some very potent pain pills. We will keep him as comfortable as possible. Hope we have a little more time, but they told us it will be over very soon. Please keep our little guy in your thoughts.....He was a rescue dog that we've had since he was 1 day old, as his mother died during birthing. He had 2 other brothers that also survived. My new avatar is he at about 4 years old..........

Attachments

• ADKS 2012 018.JPG
    ADKS 2012 018.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 366
  • 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 471
Beautiful dog, I pray that you have many more days together. Keep him in mind,as I know you will and let him go should he begin to suffer. I know how hard it is as I lost my best friend of 13 years, and still miss her today, but am thankful she never suffered.

Keep your head up man, hold him tight and make his last days the best days ever. You're both in my thoughts.

My thoughts and prayers are with you as well as your friend, family member. I've been wanting another pet, but not sure I have the time to spend with one, plus I'm not wanting to deal with the pain of losing another one. I hope his passing will be as painless as possible for both of you .

What a beautiful dog. I'm so sorry he's ill, but will pray that his remaining time is peaceful and happy. It's so hard to lose them....

I am so sorry to hear that, we lost a beloved dog a little over 4 years ago that we had from a pup to about 15 years old and I cried like a baby as they truly are a member of the family.

We had little time to say goodbye as she was energetic and acted healthy right up to the last day we had her, she suddenly started having seizures and couldn't even walk and the vet said it was likely a brain tumor and didn't feel there was anything to do because of her age.

I say all that so you understand there are others who truly understand how you feel.

The pain will lessen with time, but you still miss them, and it helps to know that you gave them a loving home and a happy life that they possibly might not have otherwise had.

Our home felt so empty afterwards as we were so used to hearing her paws around the house, that about a month later we adopted another pup which we still have, she was from a shelter and she is a beloved family member. We felt our previous dog was so full of love (she tried to make friends with everybody) that she would have wanted us to share our love and home with another pup that was waiting for someone to love them.

Sorry to ramble on so long, I guess you can tell we are dog people.

Anyhow, just reassure Junior that he is so loved and I believe he will understand how much you care.

So sorry for your sad news. Our pets are our children. They are family. It is tough to know his time has come. I lost my "Elvis" (Dachshund/Chihuahua) the day before Thanksgiving. He was 15 yrs 7 mos. May your family remember all the good times and know that you gave him the best life he could possibly have had.

I have two other four-legged babies that I'll lose someday but they have provided the needed "LOVE" to get through my loss. And I know they miss him too. Someday you might want to share your love with another dog. At my age I'm not adding anymore "furbabies". Once mine are gone that's it. One is nearly 10 yrs and the youngest one is 4 yrs so they will be around a little while I hope.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family and your "furbaby".

Attachments

• 540991_10151157066486433_1640544171_n.jpg
    540991_10151157066486433_1640544171_n.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
So sorry to hear about this! I wish you a memorable and comfortable time this week with your buddy as you assist in his passing...You know Junior doesnt ever want you to feel bad about nothing... not even this...just looking into those eyes though...I hope you get your buddy by easy...

Last edited:
I feel your pain. As we lost our little angle. An 8 lb 12 year old silky. Just this last summer. They truly are family for sure. I am sure you gave him a good life. Our thoughts are with you and junior. May god bless junior and all your family.

Sorry to read about your loss Curt! We went through this a number of years back. Dogs are part of our families!

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Thanks everyone. He's hanging in there pretty well right now. But, he's also on some very strong pain meds, so he's sleeping a lot.....

Back
Top Bottom