• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Garrett Pro Pointer vs Whites TRX vs Minelab Pro Find

I guess I'm gonna buck the trend and say go with the Garrett, TRX has a small delay when turning it on and off, the Garrett is instant on/off. TRX has a active detect field up high by the on/off button can lead to problems in a deep hole with metal in the sidewall of the hole.

The TRX is deeper, there is no doubt about that and has adjustable depth modes.

My oldest Garrett is over 4 years old, never had a problem.

All the above is just my personal opinion, the TRX and the Garrett both do what they are supposed to.

I would find the best deal on either one and that is the one I would buy.....

Can't comment on the Minelab, never used one.

I just received my Garrett pp, now I just have to wait for Garrett to send my Coil then I can try them out, IF the coil does correct my problem then I can try them out:grin:

I guess I'm gonna buck the trend and say go with the Garrett, TRX has a small delay when turning it on and off, the Garrett is instant on/off.

I'll buck it even further, my Garrett has a slight delay compared to my HF Centech... I like em both, but usually go for the centech first...

<*)))>{

Pro pointer is still fast in recovery time. :yes: I have 2 & my friend has the TRX. I proved this to him over and over. :lol: Needless to say he's not very happy about it... hahaha :laughing:

There seem to be a few that keep poking "how good the Pro pointer works". Again I will say it is not how good it is when working but how bad it is when it does not work and the high failure rate compared to the competition. Out of the box failures are still being reported. Garrett seems to ignore this fact.

Some people get the idea that the deeper the pin pointer can reach the better but that is not the case, do you not think that Garrett cannot build a pp to reach 10"? Garrett built the PP to only have about a 1.5" detection for a reason. Do not let the longer range PP fool ya.

Can you tell us how you know this?? Since you posted this before you even received your PP and have no time in the field with it.. For a lot of us deeper is better especially if you can pp a coin 4 inches down from the surface.. The neater you're able to dig the better imo, more soo if you hunt parks, schools etc. And the TRX does that for you.. But everyone has their preferences

There seem to be a few that keep poking "how good the Pro pointer works". Again I will say it is not how good it is when working but how bad it is when it does not work and the high failure rate compared to the competition. Out of the box failures are still being reported. Garrett seems to ignore this fact.

How can you compare failure rate when the trx just came out and the pro pointer has been out for ever??? No:?: way you can compare yet but only with the performance. And who needs to pin point 4 inches down?:laughing: I'm sorry but my CTX pin points a little better than others I guess.. Lol:lol:

I have a TRX in the for sale section. I AM NOT A FAN after one use. I prefer my garrett. Yes the trx is a new toy to experiement, yes its deep in and out of the soil. Yes it takes 9volts or 2 double A batterys, yes you can change the housing. ETC ETC ETC.

Im just not a fan. I much rather have another GPP than this TRX

How can you compare failure rate when the trx just came out and the pro pointer has been out for ever??? No:?: way you can compare yet but only with the performance. And who needs to pin point 4 inches down?:laughing: I'm sorry but my CTX pin points a little better than others I guess.. Lol:lol:

The reported failures of the Gpp has been going on since day one (as you stated forever) This is not the case so far for any of the other current available pointers and if they had the same rate of failures I would also be talking about them. They are still holding strong and the manufactures making them are implementing corrective action whenever any issue appears. This is not the case with Garrett where they seem to just keep pumping them out and having to have their customers pay and pay for insurance and shipping back for a repair or replacement as this ill fated produce keeps on failing. They also have had to find out how well their base detector pin points because they have had to return their pin pointer and during that down time they have to do without out or have a back up. The nice thing about some of the others mentioned is if you don't like the 4 inch sensing then just hit the button and it becomes a weak single function like the Gpp.

You must have missed all the broken propointer posts? :lol:

Ok here is MY take on the pinpointer issue. A preface: I have never had the Garrett PP fail so I cant speak of its failures.

I think the design statement of a pinpointer might be something like the following: Give the user the ability to recover a target quickly and accurately. For me the Garrett PP does this, as well as being the cheapest of the high end pinpointers. Futhermore, the pinpointers (garrett pp and whites TRX) do 90% the same thing: help you locate your target quickly.

Personally I don't want to wait a few seconds after turning the unit on. I like the set sensitivity and don't feel the need to mess with it in a tool that is designed to be a quick use.

That being said the whites TRX gives you more options such ash: setting your sensitivity and ground balancing. It also may get better depth than the garrett pp.

Use which tool you feel might be better for you. I prefer the cheaper one that does a fantastic job for me.

Edit: didn't mention the minelab pro find. I find it a bit expensive for what it does.

hope this helps - let the flames commence

I own the Garrett Propointer, Minelab Profind, and the Whites TRX. I have found the TRX to be heads above either of the other two when it comes to durability and performance. The Garrett works well when it works but there are a lot of durability issues and mine needs to go back to Garrett for service. I usually have to take mine in every year to year and a half for an overhaul. I used the Minelab only to try it out and it worked okay but doesnt have the depth of the TRX and probably not even the Propointer. I would highly recommend the TRX and I love the fact that it is tip sensitive. You can use it to pinpoint predig allowing you to dig a much smaller plug or even pop the coin out. Good luck with your decision !!

Ok here is MY take on the pinpointer issue. A preface: I have never had the Garrett PP fail so I cant speak of its failures.

I think the design statement of a pinpointer might be something like the following: Give the user the ability to recover a target quickly and accurately. For me the Garrett PP does this, as well as being the cheapest of the high end pinpointers. Futhermore, the pinpointers (garrett pp and whites TRX) do 90% the same thing: help you locate your target quickly.

Personally I don't want to wait a few seconds after turning the unit on. I like the set sensitivity and don't feel the need to mess with it in a tool that is designed to be a quick use.

That being said the whites TRX gives you more options such ash: setting your sensitivity and ground balancing. It also may get better depth than the garrett pp.

Use which tool you feel might be better for you. I prefer the cheaper one that does a fantastic job for me.

Edit: didn't mention the minelab pro find. I find it a bit expensive for what it does.

hope this helps - let the flames commence

I don't wait seconds after turning the TRX on. I simply touch the ground first, then turn it on and I'm instantly ready to go.

I don't disagree with the rest you stated. My Garretts have been great PPRs in the 4 years I've owned both of them. Minelab Pro is over priced for what it's skated to do in the field. martin

Some people get the idea that the deeper the pin pointer can reach the better but that is not the case, do you not think that Garrett cannot build a pp to reach 10"? Garrett built the PP to only have about a 1.5" detection for a reason. Do not let the longer range PP fool ya.

Exactly

I pinpoint well enough with my detector BEFORE. I dig. My propointer gets me abt 2 inches depth More than enough depth. If I need to pinpoint a target deeper I use the detector.

No need for anything other than the propointer at all!

Exactly

I pinpoint well enough with my detector BEFORE. I dig. My propointer gets me abt 2 inches depth More than enough depth. If I need to pinpoint a target deeper I use the detector.

No need for anything other than the propointer at all!

I pinpoint well enough with my detector BEFORE. I dig

For some unknown reason...I don't PP with ny detector that well. With the TRX, I can "test" my pinpoint and quickly zoom into the real target. What I want is a pinpointed target that I can merely stab one shovel at and know 100% that it's either out of the hole, or within reach in the hole. The TRX is great for limiting my digs to one scoop full. martin

I pinpoint well enough with my detector BEFORE. I dig

For some unknown reason...I don't PP with ny detector that well. With the TRX, I can "test" my pinpoint and quickly zoom into the real target. What I want is a pinpointed target that I can merely stab one shovel at and know 100% that it's either out of the hole, or within reach in the hole. The TRX is great for limiting my digs to one scoop full. martin

Yeah it all comes down to your style. After almost 5 years in this hobby, I have become very good at pinpointing with my machine.

I also detune the propointer which narrows the search area to a very small area. I do that by putting the pinpointer tip close to the target, turning the propointer off then back on, and it will not sound off until I am very close to the target.

But, I think it all comes down to preference and skill level when pinpointing with the detector. I almost always get the target with the first scoop of dirt with the sampson 31" shovel.

Since I am learning my AT Pro, I am not as efficient at pinointing with it. I have noticed that the target is usually abt an inch "above" my pinpointed spot.

With Fisher detectors or others, I am very good at pinpointing before I dig. I personally wouldn't want a pinpointer with anymore than an inch or two of depth, otherwise in my opinion, it is no longer a PINPOINTER that pinpoints a target! IMHO

I forget where I read it on here but someone was trying to push people to a TRX so hard that they even tried to say you would miss targets if you had a propointer instead of the TRX...ROFL...

All joking aside, I have a propointer and a TRX and I still grab the PP each time I go out...

I personally wouldn't want a pinpointer with anymore than an inch or two of depth, otherwise in my opinion, it is no longer a PINPOINTER that pinpoints a target! IMHO

Only problem with that scenario is if Garrett tops Whites in the depth dept down the road we can bust about 90% of the guys chops for saying they don't want depth:lol: You'd love an automax:laughing:

Only problem with that scenario is if Garrett tops Whites in the depth dept down the road we can bust about 90% of the guys chops for saying they don't want depth:lol: You'd love an automax:laughing:

LMAO I started with an automax and I definitely prefer the extra depth of the propointer over the BH or automax pinpointers.

I'm just saying that I personally wouldn't long for or want my propointer to get any more depth than it does as I do not find that necessary based on my pinpointing ability with my machine before i dig.

I DO use the propointer to narrow the detection area smaller before I start digging and have good results with that style. :)

I am not knocking the other pinpointers as I don't have them to form an opinion on which is better. Most guys say they like the extra depth, and that is fine.

I just don't personally have a need for the propointer to be any deeper. Just an opinion. :)

LMAO I started with an automax and I definitely prefer the extra depth of the propointer over the BH or automax pinpointers.

I'm just saying that I personally wouldn't long for or want my propointer to get any more depth than it does as I do not find that necessary based on my pinpointing ability with my machine before i dig.

I DO use the propointer to narrow the detection area smaller before I start digging and have good results with that style. :)

I am not knocking the other pinpointers as I don't have them to form an opinion on which is better. Most guys say they like the extra depth, and that is fine.

I just don't personally have a need for the propointer to be any deeper. Just an opinion. :)
Use what you like. TRX can be turned down to equal a propointer. Can't speak for some guys hunting areas? Tried the TRX in the wet sand at the beach. May be the same effect some guys in VA are having problems with? I know some guys like a V3i at the beach. Didn't work for me here. Switched back to my DFX and sold the V3i before it got ruined in salt air:lol:

Back
Top Bottom