Pinpointer and Shovel

Collin1776

I’ve been using just my Garrett Ace 250 and a normal shovel for detecting. (Im a newbie I know) but this Monday I’m going to buy a shovel and a pinpointer. I’m just looking for the best bang for my buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My opinion is that if you are not digging in fields or the woods relic hunting, then you should not get a shovel. Get a hori hori knife or a lesche digger. Shovels can be a problem unless you're on your own property.

There are lots of pinpointer choices, and I've not tried them all, but the Garrett Carrot and the White's TRX are very popular. I use the Carrott and am very happy with it. If you do get the Garrett, read the instructions and learn how to detune it while doing a recovery. Then you can make full use of its performance. Good Luck.

I don't go hunting without the Garrett carrot, great piece of kit.
If you do decide to get one get it from one of the forum sponsors, guaranteed to be the real deal (there are fakes floating about) and you'll get the best price on it.

I’ve actually never read a post on any of the forums where someone got into trouble using the Sampson shovel and I know that since I began detecting, it’s been advised not to use one in public. YMMV...

Garrett pin pointer and Raptor Model 31 most of times also I use the Model 85. Both of these are made by Predator Tools which I'm pound to say made in the USA:D

I’ve actually never read a post on any of the forums where someone got into trouble using the Sampson shovel and I know that since I began detecting, it’s been advised not to use one in public. YMMV...

I don't think it's a matter of getting in trouble. The blade on the Samson and the Lesche hand digger are very similar in size, but that 31" tool compared to a sheathed belt hanger makes a lot of people assume you're there to dig ditches, not pull coins out from under flaps...:D

Don't get me wrong, I like my Samson, but it stays in the woods.

Always hunt with my Sampson T handle 31 inch every where I go, had it for 4 years and no one has ever questioned it. Also use the Garrett carrot. Would not leave home without either.
90446a6ad205a43b2c83c811907cae2d.jpg
ed8fe73a80a71d26634e783d0a28051d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think I’ll buy that pinpointer on the 14th. I’ve been metal detecting without one since I started. Yes I know I needed one just had gotta wait till I’m paid haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently use the hori hori knife and the Garrett at pro. I originally got the harbor freight pinpointer for 20ish bucks on amazon, returned it for breaking in less than a week. My carrot is far better in every way. Can't say much for other brands as I've never tried them and don't plan to

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I started with a harbor freight pinpointer and menards hand trowel. Buttons last about a week on the pinpointer. Also broke the hand trowel. Got my carrot from cabelas with points and lesche hand digger for birthday. I use these all the time and wouldn't go swinging without them. This year I added a Predator tools shovel. Great shovel.
Bottom line is buy the best you can afford. Because you get what you pay for.

I was told that I could not detect a city sports complex the city had passed a law prohibiting digging in the city parks. I checked and found that I was told the truth.

When I enquired as to why the law was passed I was told Because people were using SHOVELS to dig up our parks

Back
Top Bottom