Where was Rudy? Part Deux

Rudy

Admin
This is a continuation of this thread.

Here is a photographic hint to the next place we visited. Can anyone guess what/where it is?

IMG_4232.jpg

Ok, we started the day in Dublin where we visited the Christ Church cathedral (or, more formally,
The Cathedral of the Holy Trinity). It is the elder of the capital city's two medieval cathedrals, the other
being St Patrick's Cathedral.

The cathedral was founded in 1030 AD, and its architecture is gothic/romanesque. The Cathedral also offered
a great backdrop to the hit TV drama "the Tudors" which was Christchurch's Cathedrals longest running Television
show to be filmed within the compounds of the Cathedral, many Dresses and outfits worn by Maria Doyle Kennedy
(Catherine of Aragon) and Jonathon Rhys Myers (King Henry) are available to be viewed within the crypt of
Christchurch Cathedral.

IMG_4186.jpg

IMG_4189.jpg

The crypt, one of the largest in Britain or Ireland has all kinds of interesting tombs and other exhibits.
IMG_4193.jpg

After a nice lunch at a local hotel, which included a proper pint of Guiness (btw, there is no comparison between
the Guiness we get here in the US and the real thing you get in Ireland), we visited the old Avoca mill, where they
make woolen textiles from local sheep's wool.
IMG_4212.jpg

The automated looms where in the back room, but here they have a working manual loom. It's operation requires
the use of both hands and both feets and it was fascinating to see it run.
IMG_4215.jpg

One of the things that struck us while in Ireland and Scotland was how green and fertile it is. The gardens around
the Acota mill were no exception. Here are some shots of their gardens.
IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_4219.jpg

We finally arrived at the ruins in Glendalough valley. Gleann Dá Loch, meaning "Valley of two lakes"
is a glacial valley renowned for an Early Medieval monastic settlement founded in the 6th century
by St Kevin. :wow: Kevin's fame as a holy man spread and he attracted numerous followers. Kevin died
in about 618. For six centuries afterwards, Glendalough flourished.
IMG_4235.jpg

In 1176 Glendalough was 'plundered by the foreigners'. Later, in 1398, the destruction of the settlement by
English forces left it a ruin but it continued as a church of local importance and a place of pilgrimage.
IMG_4243.jpg

The present remains in Glendalough tell only a small part of its story. The monastery in its heyday included
workshops, areas for manuscript writing and copying, guest houses, an infirmary, farm buildings and dwellings
for both the monks and a large lay population. The buildings which survive probably date from between the
10th and 12th centuries.

The round tower, , built of mica-slate interspersed with granite is about 30 meters high, with an entrance 3.5
meters from the base. The conical roof was rebuilt in 1876 using the original stones.

The tower originally had six timber floors, connected by ladders. The four stories above entrance level are each
lit by a small window; while the top story has four windows facing the cardinal compass points. Round towers,
landmarks for approaching visitors, were built as bell towers, but also served on occasion as store-houses and
as places of refuge in times of attack
IMG_4247.jpg

Amazing photos and thanks for sharing the history too. Wow.

Thanks, glad you are enjoying it. Yes, the history is fascinating. We have nothing to compare it with here in the US. I am personnally amazed to see these old buildings and ruins, dating back to way before Columbus.

Awesome pics! :grin:

I did some research in the past about visiting there and remember seeing photos of structures similar to the pic you posted.

It was a long shot... :laughing:

My daughter will be studying in Ireland next semester, I will add this to our list, thanks for sharing!

Great pics! I stand in awe of old stone buildings, I can look at them for hours!...Imagining the effort and craftsmanship to create one without any kind of modern cutting, transport, logistics, or construction equipment...no OSHA around either! Unimaginable how they got built and are still standing!

Sheesh...something as 'simple' as the slate roof tiles even! Somebody had to find a site, get down to the slate layer, pop them up, square them off, transport, and then get them up on that steep pitch for the install? All by hand and horse effort?

Awesome pics! :grin:

I did some research in the past about visiting there and remember seeing photos of structures similar to the pic you posted.

It was a long shot... :laughing:

Thanks. Alas, there are not many towers left in Ireland from this era.

My daughter will be studying in Ireland next semester, I will add this to our list, thanks for sharing!

Stay tuned, I think you'll see some other sites that you'll want to add to the bucket list. :yes:

Great pics! I stand in awe of old stone buildings, I can look at them for hours!...Imagining the effort and craftsmanship to create one without any kind of modern cutting, transport, logistics, or construction equipment...no OSHA around either! Unimaginable how they got built and are still standing!

Sheesh...something as 'simple' as the slate roof tiles even! Somebody had to find a site, get down to the slate layer, pop them up, square them off, transport, and then get them up on that steep pitch for the install? All by hand and horse effort?

You are right Mud it awes me too. Fortunately, there are no earthquakes in Ireland. Had these structures been built in California, it might have been a different story.

Back
Top Bottom