Lesche question

Bayoutalker

Elite Member
I see the lesche digger comes in a left or right serrated version. My question is which would a right handed person want? I can think of reasons for either.

Cliff

I would think if you are digging with your right hand, you would want serrated side to the left, ad you will have more strength pulling inward against roots then pushing the digger out against the roots.

Well that is a good question. I’m right handed. Dig my U-shaped plugs from left to right, my Lesche has serrations on the right, and it works good for me...

Attachments

• 3339DDA4-E3E4-430F-9B82-F6BDE18E8623.jpg
    3339DDA4-E3E4-430F-9B82-F6BDE18E8623.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 210
I'm right handed and prefer the serrated side on the left. I dig my plugs clockwise.

I've been trying out this trowel for the past several weeks and really like it for heavily rooted areas.

Attachments

• 61VWpMCyOYL._SX679_.jpg
    61VWpMCyOYL._SX679_.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 181
I broke a hand digger and got it replaced for free, no questions asked.
Well, I had a question about the exact address to send it to so I called them and talked to a nice lady that answered the phone.
She verified the address and while I had her on the phone I did ask about double sided cut hand diggers.
She told me they do have them, evidently they made up a small batch at one time, but they were never fully tested in the field, however she told me if I wanted one of those as my replacement they would send one of those to me, no problem.
The catch is they are experimental so they put no warranty on them at all so if I got one and it broke for whatever reason no free replacement...ever.

I opted for the regular one with cuts on one side only.

yeah, i didn't realize they came either way when i bought mine. it's always annoyed me that the serrations are on the right as i wanna pull left. not a deal breaker, just another irk in daily life. :D

so what i did is sharpen the left side of my blade a bunch on a bench grinder. made a nice difference.

I'm a lefty, so I have the serrations on the right side. Most lefties cut their hole counterclockwise and most righties cut their hole clockwise. Lefties are always doing things backwards! Lol!

As others have said, serrations on the left for a righty. Sure, it's possible to make the initial cut lots of ways because of all the ways you can hold the Lesch and which direction you cut. But, think about how you hold it once the plug is cut. You'll probably hold it naturally out of the top of your hand so you can poke and pry around. Like in the photo below.

If you're right handed, you want the serrations to be on the left in case you have to pull-cut the hole a bit wider or pull-saw through a root. You don't want to have to change your grip, or twist your wrist awkwardly, or push-cut to do this. But, that's what you'll have to do if the serrations are on the right.

hqdefault.jpg

I'm primarily right handed but shoot left handed rifle/pistol equally well.

cast during fishing both hands also.

But I use my digger mostly in my right hand and cut counter clockwise!

Ive had diggers with serrations on just the left being right handed. Then i found myself wanting to cut in the opposite direction and added serrations to make it double serrated. When i broke it, i went looking for a new double serrated digger and discovered the Whites Digmaster. Love it and wouldnt use anything else.

Attachments

• 41De6B+YG4L._SX466_.jpg
    41De6B+YG4L._SX466_.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 143
What is more important to me being right handed is...what side do I holster the shovel on my belt, etc. ,so that the serration edge does not cut, wear down or slow down returning the tool back into the holster/protection sleeve. If I am going to store/carry the holster/sleeve on my right side I would want the serrations on the right side of shovel. And if I were to store/carry it my left side I probably would want the serrations on the left side of shovel.

What is more important to me being right handed is...what side do I holster the shovel on my belt, etc. ,so that the serration edge does not cut, wear down or slow down returning the tool back into the holster/protection sleeve. If I am going to store/carry the holster/sleeve on my right side I would want the serrations on the right side of shovel. And if I were to store/carry it my left side I probably would want the serrations on the left side of shovel.
I swing with my right hand so I carry my pp and digger on my left. I do switch the digger to the right hand to use it.

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom