Making a beach scoop

CarsonChris

Elite Member
So I found this scoop at a feed store. I’m going to drill it with 3/8” or 7/16” holes. It will work great for dry sand. Thinking about attaching a long handle to make a water scoop. Seems fairly sturdy. CC832859-FF32-40D6-A332-5350DBCC72CF.jpeg

I don't want to discourage you if you really want to do this but you'd probably be better off buying one. Drilling holes is going to speed up the rust too.

I agreee. Prob okay in dry sand but not wet. I used one my nephew made during a vacation one time. Totaled it the first day out.

LOL! I used a kitty litter scoop... Of course I dont live by the beach either... Just a couple creeks and rivers

It may work for a bit as a water scoop; but you will need to take it easy on the scoop. Water scoops take alot of force from being kicked in to the bottom be it sand or silty clay. I have broken a couple of scoops over the years when i catch on somthing big. If you do attach a handle and its wood; make sure you use multiple coats of poly urethane to seal it off or it wont lat long

Good on ya Mate! Everybody should attempt to make a beach scoop or two in their lifetime...just to see how come the good ones cost some money!

My third Homemade attempt is holding up really well going on what? 7 years now? Its because I learned from the failures so I keyholed and dovetailed and every single piece is a support to the total....even the handle is important to the entire structure...of course I'm working mainly Lake Michigan sand and some inland lakes around here, but I like how I can 'pump it' underwater and the open top allows for easy target retrieve as well as easy float out of zebra mussel shells etc...

Attachments

• scoop 1.jpg
    scoop 1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 3,279
  • scoop 2.jpg
    scoop 2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 3,149
  • scoop 3.jpg
    scoop 3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 3,156
  • scoop 4.jpg
    scoop 4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 3,108
  • scoop 5.jpg
    scoop 5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3,286
Building your own beach scoop

As Mud says, "ya gotta try making your own scoop sometime in your life". Over a long winter spell I built this one out of boredom. Have about $100 invested in this and most of that was for the guy who welded it for me. You can buy the SS sheet and tube for $15 to $20. Main part of scoop is made out of 14 gauge SS and the back piece is 16 gauge SS. If I was doing it again I would make the whole scoop out of 16 gauge SS to save on weight. Drilling the holes takes a little time and effort. You can lift a truck with this thing but it is a little heavy. The welding guy also used his metal brake to bend the SS for me. Those little tabs in the top/front are to prevent the welds from splitting, my first scoop I made kept splitting here with heavy lifting. The wood handle is a post hole digger handle, may replace that someday with carbon fiber. Bending the SS is a critical part, determine the inside height you want on the scoop and then bend to attain that. Welding done in two stages, first weld top and handle to the main part of the scoop. Then make a pattern for the back portion so you can cut it out to fit for the final weld. Satisfaction in building something yourself but with the time and effort involved, cheaper to buy a good scoop.

Attachments

• IMG_20190510_224340790.jpg
    IMG_20190510_224340790.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 3,101
  • IMG_20190510_224317417.jpg
    IMG_20190510_224317417.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 3,127
  • IMG_20190510_223850333.jpg
    IMG_20190510_223850333.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 3,124
  • material.jpg
    material.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 3,058
  • scoop20.jpg
    scoop20.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 3,104
Last edited:
So I found this scoop at a feed store. I’m going to drill it with 3/8” or 7/16” holes. It will work great for dry sand. Thinking about attaching a long handle to make a water scoop. Seems fairly sturdy.

Its a fun project that will teach you a lot! I've made dozens and still have one of my PVC hand scoops. You'll probably learn some of the following things along the way...
1.) bending over can cause strains and extra time
2.) installing a long handle will quickly find the scoops weakest link and break
3.) scooping in water-logged wet sand quickly finds the scoops weakest link and breaks
4.) you underestimate drilling enough sieve holes
5.) you add more sieve holes and break the scoop
6.) you build another scoop with improvements
7.) you break that scoop too
8.) a few more scoops later, you realize you spent enough to get a quality scoop
9.) you write DIY scoop reviews and share your experience

Here is my review from about 5-years ago.... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=223236&highlight=year+review+scoops

Attachments

• scoops.jpg
    scoops.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 3,014
Homemade scoop

Received a request for dimensions on the SS scoop.

View of scoop before bending:
Outside edges are 4 1/2 inches
Next line in is 9 inches from top to bottom
Next line in is 10 inches from top to bottom.
Length of scoop from tip to the back = 11 inches.

The center bottom section is 4 1/2 inches wide.
All the other sections are 3 1/2 inches wide.

Top piece is 3 inches x 4 1/2 inches.
Inside height of the scoop is 5 1/4 inches.

Making a model out of tagboard gives you a look at what your final scoop will look like. Change the dimensions to suit yourself.

Attachments

• scoop20.jpg
    scoop20.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 2,802
Last edited:
Vertical measurements on the scoop.

From #1 to #2 = one inch
From #2 to #3 = 2.25 inches
From #3 to #4 = 2.50 inches
From #4 to #5 = 4.50 inches
From #5 to #6 = 2.00 inches
From #6 to #7 = 1.25 inches

Attachments

• scoop20_LI (2).jpg
    scoop20_LI (2).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,431
Some of my local beaches has passed NO SHOVELS on the beach due to kids digging half way to china and not filling their holes. Baby turtles die in those holes. However i have never had a problem with using my scoop on the beach. The Beach Patrols usually swing by to retrieve the junk i have in my bag. But i wonder what they would say about a modified shovel.

Back
Top Bottom